Adding Reverb/Delay/.. to Sub 37?

Everything Sub.
JavaLaurence

Adding Reverb/Delay/.. to Sub 37?

Post by JavaLaurence » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:35 am

Hi there,

I'm a Sub 37 beginner looking for some advice on what effect unit to add to a Sub 37? I'm pretty new to the world of monophonic effect-less synths, and am sure that most experienced people couple some kind of reverb-delay-type processor to their synth to really leverage the raw sounds..

Yesterday I bought an Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, and frankly, the results aren't what I expected. This delay box is way too eager at filtering out high frequencies, so it fails to keep the rich, sharp character of many Sub 37 sounds.

Any advice/tips?

My ideal reverb/delay-type box would have real-time knobs to change delay ms, depth, etc.. without having to dive into menus.

Thx

MacAquinas

Re: Adding Reverb/Delay/.. to Sub 37?

Post by MacAquinas » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:39 am

I have MF-104M Superdelay which is incredibly expensive but absolutely amazing.

But I have a Vox Tonelab ST(Tube) which has delay 40-1480 ms with adjustable feedback and 3 reverb types,and although the effects are digital the tube amp warms all the tones and I bet most would not be able to tell the difference between the Vox and an analog delay blindfolded. I think it's one of the best pedals I have ever owned.
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:58 am

I use a Minifooger MF Delay with my Sub37 and think it sounds great, but I also have an EHX Memory boy that I use for guitar.

If I had the budget for one, I'd get the Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe and starting synching tempos and sweeps. Seems limitless with its MIDI and filter. :mrgreen:

epignosis567

Post by epignosis567 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:15 pm

I have tried and a/b'd just about every analog delay on the market and most digital delays and my personal opinion is that the -deluxe- memory boy is the best analog delay pedal for the money, hands down. And it has a filter that allows you to adjust the brightness/darkness of the repeats.

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:52 pm

TC Electronic Flashback delay and Hall of Fame reverb do a good job on monosynths. Strymon Timelime and BigSky will do wonders, however the price is steep.
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

epignosis567

Post by epignosis567 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:01 pm

Seconded. Timeline is my favorite digital delay with the flashback being next.

epignosis567

Post by epignosis567 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:02 pm

But you don't want to do that to a nice moog...

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:51 pm

JavaLaurence wrote:I bought an Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy, and frankly, the results aren't what I expected. This delay box is way too eager at filtering out high frequencies, so it fails to keep the rich, sharp character of many Sub 37 sounds.
MoogProg wrote:If I had the budget for one, I'd get the Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe and starting synching tempos and sweeps. Seems limitless with its MIDI and filter.
Video example of a Moog Solar Phatty into a Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-iG6rJ1VYg
kvitekp wrote:TC Electronic Flashback delay and Hall of Fame reverb do a good job on monosynths.
Video example of a Moog Sub 37 into a TC Electronic Flashback:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDXESToG4p8
(Delay is on at 10:46, 21:56, and 34:24)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:22 pm

MF-104M here... it will absolutely color your delayed signal tho, very dark and low, but it is pure analog goodness and has a ton of CV inputs for additional control. When you get the feedback set into a nice sweet spot, you can just about use the delayed signal for a beat track.

I'm thinking of adding a Strymon BigSky reverb alongside it - really loving the reverbs in my Virus TI2 but want something with a bit more control.

scottingham

Post by scottingham » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:32 pm

I have an MF104M and a Boss DD5.

The MF104M sounds awesome with it. Especially synced up via the midi for neat resonant delay effects. It does roll a lot of the high-end though. Consider an Eventide Timefactor. A friend has one of those and I've played my Sub37 through it. Great/pro level input buffers (the DD-5 has a bad problem with that, clipping sounds atrocious), well interfaced, midi synched. It can emulate an analog delay, but head to head against an MF104 it loses handily.

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:08 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote: Video example of a Moog Solar Phatty into a Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-iG6rJ1VYg
That is one MOST awesome delay. G.A.S. has struck again!

JavaLaurence

Post by JavaLaurence » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:42 pm

I'm wondering if anyone here has heard how the Littlebits delay sounds? I bought the Synth Kit thinking it would be just a bit of fun.. but it sounds absolutely fantastic. It's so clean and has a superb depth. I'm after a delay for my Sub 37 which sounds similar to the delay bit in the Littlebits Synth Kit. I already hooked up the synth to the delay via the Littlebits Microphone bit, but that produced a distorted sound.. don't understand why.

The MF unit is totally out of my price bracket.. I can go up to $200.

BTW, on the subject of price, the Littlebits Delay module is based on a single chip (the hardware is open source, so you can check the schematic).. I almost fell off my chair when I looked up the price of that chip. :evil: