Sub 37 - Non-Tribute Edition?

Everything Sub.
ibjim

Sub 37 - Non-Tribute Edition?

Post by ibjim » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:24 am

Hi All,

Apologies if this has been discussed already, but is there any word on a Non-Tribute Edition of the Sub 37? Is it going to follow the same path as the Litle Phatty (Tribute first, then cheaper Stage)? I'm thinking of moving on from my Little Phatty, but the price jump to ~£1200 seems too much of a leap for me to justify... though I guess I could be persuaded :roll:

Cheers

Jim

DeckardTrinity

Re: Sub 37 - Non-Tribute Edition?

Post by DeckardTrinity » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:36 pm

I can only speculate, so I'll just say this: the Sub 37 is probably the best $1500 I've spent on a synth ever. The build quality is incredibly high, including the knobs, buttons, and yes (at least to me) even the keyboard (maybe a bit weak on the velocity and after touch). The sound itself is massive, in the sense that there is an incredible range of sounds you can make with this machine. And the tweakability is without a doubt the strongest selling point to me. Each knob and switch just invites you to experiment, just to see "what if I push this, or what if I turn that". And with just a few turns and pushes, you can totally change the sound. This is probably the first synth I'm going to run out of patch spaces on within a few weeks, I just want to save every sound I come up with!

So - yeah, maybe Moog will cheapen things up in the future. Keep in mind though, by all accounts they are still going at it full tilt production with this one right now. Do you really want to pass up the opportunity to own a surefire classic? :mrgreen:

namnibor

Post by namnibor » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:31 am

I have to agree that this has been the best $1500. spent on a synth in a long time (other than my Poly Evolver Rack earlier this year). The Sub 37 BEGS to be experimented with and I for one, actually like the keyboard action and entire aesthetics of the instrument. "Instrument"...it feels like a proper instrument in it's construction/layout, and myriad universes of sound you can travel to.
**Instant Classic** **No Doubt**
Moog owes me a bucket load of sleep! :D
Sub 37

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:21 am

Adding my 2 penny worth / 2 cents worth … best £1,299 I have spent on a synth and I seem to have bought quite a few in the past :D

As others have said above there are so many options with massive 'tweakability' :D

R.

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:14 am

ibjim wrote:I'm thinking of moving on from my Little Phatty, but the price jump to ~£1200 seems too much of a leap for me to justify... though I guess I could be persuaded :roll:
Other Keyboard Player in our band has a Little Phatty and we are all amazed at the build quality differences between it and the Sub37. It is almost unbelievable that the Sub37 sells for so little, only a few hundred more than the LP. :shock:

Also considering this the best money I've put into a synth in a long time, perhaps ever.

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:34 am

Persuaded yet, Jim? :D

R.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:31 am

MoogProg wrote:
ibjim wrote:I'm thinking of moving on from my Little Phatty, but the price jump to ~£1200 seems too much of a leap for me to justify... though I guess I could be persuaded :roll:
Other Keyboard Player in our band has a Little Phatty and we are all amazed at the build quality differences between it and the Sub37. It is almost unbelievable that the Sub37 sells for so little, only a few hundred more than the LP. :shock:

Also considering this the best money I've put into a synth in a long time, perhaps ever.
There's no difference build between the phatty lps2cv I have and the sub37. Both have the same solid feel. It's the same case anyway!
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:57 am

Wondering what the cost of a non-tribute would be and what would be omitted? I already have a Sub37 but just curious. I would think the build quality will be the same. Maybe just change the look a little. A small portion of the Sub37 is supposed to be donated to charity so maybe that will also be omitted from the non-tribute.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:17 am

Nothing will be missing from the non tribute version if the lp is anything to go by. In fact it's likely to be an improvement based on that. Maybe a cv out mod, and prubbdbly black rubberised end panels like the lps2. Maybe slightly cheaper.
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:36 am

I think the Sub37 will follow the path of the Littl Phatty: wood will be replaced by more common material.
As far as CV outputs go, I wish things will change but this is unlikely to happen: a Moog Music related source stated once that the design did not allow this. I'm not sure the design will change...

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:52 am

goldphinga wrote:There's no difference build between the phatty lps2cv I have and the sub37. Both have the same solid feel. It's the same case anyway!
Did not mean to malign the LP. Not at all! Would love to have one myself. :oops:

But the Sub37 has a much better keyboard (unless you hate it, and apparently some do not like the keys), also a vastly superior interface. So in the sense that good looks, amble knobs and buttons, better keys (with velocity and aftertouch) all are "qualities of the build". Yep. Sub37 for the win. I truly feel I got a lot more for the coin than an early purchaser of the Little Phatty, and I know I'm not alone in that opinion (band-mates started these comparisons, not me).

In fact, I'm a bit amazed that we are even discussing the want/need for a more budget version of this Steal-of-a-Moog Tribute Edition. :o

But hey all is good, Moog talk is good talk indeed. Let us have a great day!

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:55 pm

All good. I think whilst after touch is great the Keybed in the sub37 doesn't feel as fast to play as the lp. The key travel before trigger is further down and there also seems to be a little latency after key on to me. Build is great though as expected.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:08 pm

I love the key action on the Sub37. The only Keybed better in my opinion is Korg kronos/m3

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:23 am

Bald Eagle wrote:I love the key action on the Sub37. The only Keybed better in my opinion is Korg kronos/m3
Personal preference of course. I'm just speaking from comparing the lp Keybed and sub37 together. Both great but different due to the after touch strip in the 37. I'm not making this up- there's a big difference in feel between the two!

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:00 am

i understand the question you are asking. i asked myself this also...will the "standard issue" Sub37 be silver instead of black...and have rubber black ends? essentially look like the Sub Phatty? what will be the difference in price?

i asked the question to my local shop...their answer was "the way things are looking from the crazy sales, and from what i have been told, there wont be another version. Period."

which quite honestly, i think is a good move. Dont mess with a successful product. Moog knows this from experience. and like others on this thread, its the best $1500 i have ever spent on a synth. Its the best synth i have ever owned (at any price). i just cant express how much i bloody love this thing. its the best synth of a generation for sure, as they say in SOS. Moog have just NAILED it completely. Outa the park. Hands down.

i am seriously thinking of buying a second one and leaving it boxed and putting it in the attic for 20 years, THATS how much of a classic i know this synth will end up being.