SUB37 manual says OSC 1/2 pitch can be used as mod sources?

Everything Sub.
extended

SUB37 manual says OSC 1/2 pitch can be used as mod sources?

Post by extended » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:39 pm

page 43 of the manual about extra modulation sources in the MENU
PGM SRC
This parameter allows you to change the MOD’s sixth modulation source from FILTER EG to:
AMP EG: Amplitude Envelope Generator
CONST ON: Constant On
SINE LFO: Extra Sine Wave
LFO NOISE LFO: Extra Noise LFO
OSC1 PCH: Oscillator 1’s Pitch
OSC2 PCH: Oscillator 2’s Pitch

SEQ NOTE: Current Note of the Sequencer
SEQ VEL: Current Velocity of the Sequencer
SEQ MOD: Mod Wheel Amount Stored In Sequence Step
I don't have a sub 37 but considering one. would this be similar to FM? anyone tried it on the SUB37 yet?
also interesting the presence of a SINE LFO there (on the front panel I see only Triangles)

furiousgreencloud

Re: SUB37 manual says OSC 1/2 pitch can be used as mod sourc

Post by furiousgreencloud » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:14 pm

This is very interesting, you can't do this on the Sub Phatty, i don't *think* this is possible on the Sub 37 either, (see my legion on other posts, but briefly because on this Sub 37/Phatty architecture the modulation is digitally controlled and thus frequency limited to around 500Hz, except for the CV to filter Input which is pure analog (again find Amos' post in this forum on that).

maybe the mod source is the relative pitch (like key tracking) not the actual wave form?

If it is you've struck gold because that would be FM modulation if you modulate 1 wave with the another, opening a whole world of timbres not available to the SubPhatty (grrr grrrr)

Very Good Question!

- fgc

furiousgreencloud

Post by furiousgreencloud » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:18 pm

furiousgreencloud wrote:see my legion of other posts, but briefly because on this Sub 37/Phatty architecture the modulation is digitally
- fgc
The Thread that covers this best is here:
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19407

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:14 am

furiousgreencloud wrote:This is very interesting, you can't do this on the Sub Phatty, i don't *think* this is possible on the Sub 37 either, (see my legion on other posts, but briefly because on this Sub 37/Phatty architecture the modulation is digitally controlled and thus frequency limited to around 500Hz, except for the CV to filter Input which is pure analog. Maybe the mod source is the relative pitch (like key tracking) not the actual wave form?
Hi furious,

You are correct. It's not FM, the Control Sources OSC1 PCH and OSC2 PCH are tracking the signal that controls the Pitch of each OSC, not the output of the OSC itself.

Still, a fun set of control sources to have... but it's not FM.

It's one of the reasons that the Voyager still reigns supreme in the land of Moog.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _