Sub 37 Arp MIDI Sync

Everything Sub.
Bald Eagle

Sub 37 Arp MIDI Sync

Post by Bald Eagle » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:30 am

Is there any way to get the Sub 37's arp to sync to an external midi clock without having to send a midi start command from the external device?

When trying to sync the Sub 37's arp to an external MIDI clock the Sub 37 was not playing. The midi clock was being sent from a Korg M3 and I verified that it was sending using Midi-OX to monitor it.

Then I discovered that if I sent a midi start command to the Sub 37 the arp synced and began playing. The problem is I had to be in sequencer mode and actually playing back a sequence. I was not able to send a midi start from any other mode.

Is there some way to get the arp to start syncing and playing without having to send a midi start command. Although this implementation can be useful in many cases there are also times where it would be useful if there was some way to activate midi sync from the Sub 37. Any way to do this?

monsieurx

Re: Sub 37 Arp MIDI Sync

Post by monsieurx » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:30 am

I have the same issue in FLStudio, some Arps work when you use the SYNC but others wont start. But they work when you dont use SYNC... :(

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:20 am

Wasn't this resolved by OS 1.0.4?

If I am not totally wrong, running my Sub 37 clocked by my Octatrack, then there should be no transmission of a midi start - and the Sub 37 seq/arp plays as intended. Albeit I have to set the SEQ/ARP-ON and the LATCH-On button to "off" (both), before activating the SYNC button. If I don't do it, the Sub 37 indeed doesn't start with the arp or sequence. I have to do this only once at the beginning of my session, when I have switchen on the Sub 37.

Maybe this works for you too?

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:31 pm

This was addressed in 1.0.4 and works perfectly as follows ...
The change in this version with external clock sync is: if you switch ON the arp/sequencer while external clock is detected, it will just run. If you then send a MIDI STOP, it will wait for a MIDI START message before running again... but in the absence of a Stop command being received, the arp will now run on external sync as long as it is receiving clock; it no longer requires a Start message to kick it off.