Sub 37 Pitch Env Modulation

Everything Sub.
klfnk

Sub 37 Pitch Env Modulation

Post by klfnk » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:02 am

Hi,

I've been waiting to try out the Sub 37 but it's not yet available for demo in the Netherlands.
In the meantime this forum has been very helpfull for getting some insights into the Sub 37 experience and features.
In a revived topic about Moogerfoogers, user 'furiousgreengloud' states the following.
furiousgreencloud wrote:Since Sub(37) Phatties, Don't seem to have analogue audio rate Filter or Pitch Modulation, - Metallic Tones are hard to achieve
I can't find any reference to this anywhere else and hope that pitch envelope modulation is possible. Can someone give some insight into this? It would make the Sub 37 less attractive to me..

Cheers!

XAXAU

Re: Sub 37 Pitch Env Modulation

Post by XAXAU » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:41 am

Of course it can do pitch modulation. And I remember the Sub Phatty had 3 speed ranges on the LFO and that it could go up in the audio range. It's digital anyway so if it isn't able to now they can change it!

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:19 am

Yes you have many ways to modulate pitch and filter - via envelope is definitely possible.

The one thing which is NOT possible on Sub Phatty / Sub 37, which is what that post was describing, is that you cannot use the actual audio signal of Oscillator 2 as a modulation source (as you can do on Voyager and Little/Slim Phatty).

So, there is a family of sounds that you get when using the oscillator as a modulation source, which you can't get exactly the same on the Sub 37 and Sub Phatty. This does not mean that there is any shortage of modulation options; just a particular flavour that is missing. The reason for this difference is that the mod busses are entirely digital on the Sub Phatty and Sub 37... this opens up many possibilities that were not available on the earlier instruments, but the cost is that the (analog) oscillator signals are not available as mod sources,.

klfnk

Post by klfnk » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:11 pm

Hi Amos,

Thanks for the response!
The one thing which is NOT possible on Sub Phatty / Sub 37, which is what that post was describing, is that you cannot use the actual audio signal of Oscillator 2 as a modulation source (as you can do on Voyager and Little/Slim Phatty).
Ah that explains the confusion. So there's no obtain to do simple (2 OSC's) FM synthesis, no problem.
This also means it's not possible to use EXT IN as a MOD source, right?
Moog Sub 37
Ableton Live 8.latest
Pro Tools 12 HD12.latest
RME Fireface UC
15" MacBook Pro Retina 2015 Yosemite

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:30 pm

Thanks Amos!

How come you were unable to implement this? Maybe I'm daft but the VCO outputs are analog so wouldn't it be possible to stick an ADC there to feed the busses?

I thought about getting a MF Ring but heard it won't track 1V/octave properly (SOS review). Will the MF-102 track properly? Just sold mine cause I didn't have any CV stuff but now I heard that my MOTU has DC coupled outs so I might have to get one again if it tracks! :)

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:15 pm

Oh but wait, I've got a Minitaur. Can I send it MIDI from the 37 and feed the audio out of it into the 37's pitch/filter for those kind of sounds? Also is it possible to only send to one oscillator on the 37 (pitch cv in jack and change the routing) or only to both?