Sub 37 Poly Chain

Everything Sub.
Amos

Re: Sub 37 Poly Chain

Post by Amos » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:56 pm

greenborder wrote:...I do get predictable results when I always play two notes at the same time. But when I just play one note it produces a 'toggle' effect when I play two notes in succession, only one of them produces sound (on both the Sub 37 and Minitaur simultaneously).
So if you play a key repeatedly, you hear [both synths] [nothing] [both synths] [nothing] on successive key presses?

If so, that's what happens when both synths are set to be voice 1 of 2, or if they are 'out of sync' in a way that should be corrected by sending an All Notes Off to both units (or from the Sub 37 to the Minitaur, should be the equivalent).

I am sure I still have some work to do on the poly chain code, but I know in my own tests I was definitely able to set it up so that successive presses of a key played [Sub 37 only] [Minitaur only] [Sub 37 only] [Minitaur only]. That is the way it's supposed to work.

Keep me posted...

-Amos

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:23 pm

My bad, I missed the part where Amos said "Here is the way poly chain is intended to work." :oops:
Not a worry, Man, we're all trying to help :)

BTW, *love* your tunes!

Mike

greenborder

Post by greenborder » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:42 am

Amos wrote: So if you play a key repeatedly, you hear [both synths] [nothing] [both synths] [nothing] on successive key presses?

If so, that's what happens when both synths are set to be voice 1 of 2, or if they are 'out of sync' in a way that should be corrected by sending an All Notes Off to both units (or from the Sub 37 to the Minitaur, should be the equivalent).
Hi Amos,

That's indeed what I am experiencing, even with the settings are as described. However I didn't explicitly send "all notes off" to the Minitaur, shouldn't this have been forwarded automatically by the Sub 37 when I pressed both octave buttons?

I will do some further exploration over the weekend and see what happens when I reset them both, thanks.

Orlandomoogf

Post by Orlandomoogf » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:55 am

Hi
Can Someone clarify this to me:
1) I have a sub37 + Sub phatty....when both of them will be updated, will i be able to move a knob on the master and change the values on BOTH the machines?? (As in the Little/Slim phatty Poly chain video)..

2) If i bought a slim phatty to connect in poly mode, Will it have to be the second one in chain? (The slim is the only with midi Thru)
And also in this case, will all the most IMPORTANT (cut off, resonance, envelopes) parameters change with a SINGLE knob movement??

Thanks!!!

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:54 am

Orlandomoogf wrote: 1) I have a sub37 + Sub phatty....when both of them will be updated, will i be able to move a knob on the master and change the values on BOTH the machines?? (As in the Little/Slim phatty Poly chain video)
This already works. It doesn't require any poly chain updates. Just connect them with midi.

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:19 am

Amos,

Will it be possible to polychain the way the Sub 37 does with its paraphony?
For example if you hold down one note the midi is sent to both units (Sub 37 plus it's poly-buddy)?
Also if possible it would be cool if you add a third note it will activate the 37's paraphony so that one note goes to the poly-buddy and the 37 splits the other two notes between oscillator 1 &2 (when in duo mode)?

Thank you for all the work! The 37 is a beast! :D

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 pm

XAXAU wrote:Amos,

Will it be possible to polychain the way the Sub 37 does with its paraphony?
For example if you hold down one note the midi is sent to both units (Sub 37 plus it's poly-buddy)?
Also if possible it would be cool if you add a third note it will activate the 37's paraphony so that one note goes to the poly-buddy and the 37 splits the other two notes between oscillator 1 &2 (when in duo mode)?

Thank you for all the work! The 37 is a beast! :D
I have been wondering how things will work when I polychain the Sub 37 to the Sub Phatty and the Sub 37 is in paraphonic mode. Will the result be 3 voices or 2? We shall see. :twisted:

Jherrera

Post by Jherrera » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:22 pm

Could Amos (or someone with an answer) post an equally succinct and explicit checklist for polychaining a Sub 37 to a Slim Phatty? I'm confused, given the Slim Phatty has different poly options, e.g., X of X instead of poly max.

Thanks!!

DMichaelJohnson

Post by DMichaelJohnson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:40 am

Amos wrote:yes and yes. I have a 3-poly setup here on my desk with two Minitaurs and a Sub 37, it works pretty well. I'll make sure that poly chain is implemented in the next Sub Phatty update (which will be... soon. Working on a Sub37 and a Minitaur update right now, should be getting to Sub Phatty within a few weeks)
Hi Amos...I have a Sub37 and a Minitaur; I am thinking of getting a second Minitaur and will have the same set up as you describe having above. To poly chain these together, obviously it is MIDI out of the Sub37 in to the first Minitaur; as the Minitaur has no MIDI out or through, is this first Minitaur connected to the second one via USB? ...and all MIDI data is carried via the USB connection much like the MIDI through connection is in your videos on connecting numerous Slims?

Thanks so much
Minimoog Reissue, Sub37, SubPhatty, (2x) Sirins, (2x) Minitaurs, (2x) MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M, Mini-boost, Mini-ring, Mini-trem, (2x) Mini-drive, Mini-delay, Mini-chorus, Mini-flange

breun

Post by breun » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:17 am

As far as I know polychaining is not yet available for the Sub 37 with the current firmware (1.1.0).

DMichaelJohnson

Post by DMichaelJohnson » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:19 pm

For those interested in this... I just heard from Andy Hughes at Moog:

"You would need to run a 5 pin DIN MIDI cable to a MIDI splitter from your controller keyboard, and then individual DIN cables to each Minitaur. You would also have to hook each Minitaur up to the computer and configure the poly settings with the Editor software."

Go team!
Minimoog Reissue, Sub37, SubPhatty, (2x) Sirins, (2x) Minitaurs, (2x) MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-107, MF-108M, Mini-boost, Mini-ring, Mini-trem, (2x) Mini-drive, Mini-delay, Mini-chorus, Mini-flange

Nohijo

Post by Nohijo » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:02 pm

I've recently acquire a SP with the objective of polychaining with a couple more SPs and my Sub 37. I have it working with some reasonable success, however, I was very disappointed to learn that it's not possible to send presets from the sub 37 to the SP. I guess this is a question for Amos, but does anyone know if there are any plans to make this possible. If not, it kinda rules out a Sub 37 / SP combo for making a polysynth compared to the LP / SP combo.

Any views peeps?