Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Everything Sub.
ChiLam
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by ChiLam » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:04 pm

hugo4711 wrote:Is it 'normal' for the filter knob to be pushable up and/or left/right like what can be seen in the video? I am asking because my filter knob is movable like that, but without any effect to the sound. I hope it stays that way...



Any update on this - has it stayed functional or gone bad? My new 37 also has this slight play with the filter knob - no affect on the sound though I'm a little worried reading these posts and seeing the vids.

jocks13
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:47 am

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by jocks13 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:41 am

hi there, my brand new sub37 has no play at all on the filter cutoff, and work just fine so far. and all knobs feel a lot sturdier that on my former subphatty. my Sub37 has s.nr: 4xxx
did all of you that got the problem with cutoff, have some wiggly play on the knob, already when the Sub37 was new?

ChiLam
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by ChiLam » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:04 am

I wouldn't call it "wiggly" or "wobbly" so much but it can be moved a little bit, 1mm maybe. I'm sure if I kept pushing it around it would the play would increase - as someone else has stated, you can hear/feel the grease give a little around the shaft if you press upwards/lateraly on the knob. I have refrained from any testing and will treat it very gently in case it develops more.

It functions well and it is not noticable unless you scrutinise. I'm not sure if those who have had problems with the sound cutting out began with this small amount of play - it would be very good to hear if this is the case or not!?

So yours does not even move slightly if you press upwards from underneath?

jocks13
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:47 am

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by jocks13 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:25 pm

ChiLam wrote:I wouldn't call it "wiggly" or "wobbly" so much but it can be moved a little bit, 1mm maybe. I'm sure if I kept pushing it around it would the play would increase - as someone else has stated, you can hear/feel the grease give a little around the shaft if you press upwards/lateraly on the knob. I have refrained from any testing and will treat it very gently in case it develops more.

It functions well and it is not noticable unless you scrutinise. I'm not sure if those who have had problems with the sound cutting out began with this small amount of play - it would be very good to hear if this is the case or not!?

So yours does not even move slightly if you press upwards from underneath?

well... If I do push it sideways, and I hear the grease under the knob. but my Subphatty was more wobbly than this, and it didn't cause me any problems. I'll keep my fingers crossed then... :?

subq
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by subq » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:28 pm

I think this was a problem with the early production runs maybe. They can fix it if you send it in...so I imagine new production runs wouldn't have the problem.

...just a guess :)

ChiLam
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by ChiLam » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:29 pm

subq wrote:I think this was a problem with the early production runs maybe. They can fix it if you send it in...so I imagine new production runs wouldn't have the problem.

...just a guess :)


Thanks subq - does the cut-off on the unit you got back have any movement at all when pressed to the side or upwards or none whatsoever? Does it feel much different to the one you sent back?

subq
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:18 pm
Contact:

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by subq » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:14 pm

feels the same actually the audio just doesn't drop out

mine wasn't loose or anything when I sent it in

I read an opinion elsewhere that the pots for the filter just weren't up to par and they corrected that...again, I don't know how true that is

however, moog support is awesome and if you have an issue they should take care of you

if your sub37 has the problem, you will know, basically, at a certain point in turning the knob it will just drop out and any slight movement in that area will cause the filter to cut in and out...so you won't get a smooth sweep turning the filter knob

ChiLam
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by ChiLam » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:39 pm

subq wrote:feels the same actually the audio just doesn't drop out

mine wasn't loose or anything when I sent it in

I read an opinion elsewhere that the pots for the filter just weren't up to par and they corrected that...again, I don't know how true that is

however, moog support is awesome and if you have an issue they should take care of you

if your sub37 has the problem, you will know, basically, at a certain point in turning the knob it will just drop out and any slight movement in that area will cause the filter to cut in and out...so you won't get a smooth sweep turning the filter knob


Thanks again subq! :wink:

I think i'm just being paranoid after reading some of the posts and having a recent nightmare with a faulty Arturia minibrute.

I did send a message to moog support though (or at least I think I did it was to [email protected]?)to ask about this 10 days ago but have not heard anything back! Maybe it is not the right address?

Really, really love this 37 though - truly a totaly different experience from using VST emulations as I have been doing for so long! The time just seems to fly by when I switch her on and I don't seem to get very far exploring any presets lol - I totaly forget to try any others out since I get so enchanted with tweaking one sound - it is pure enjoyment :D

Toom
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by Toom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:43 pm

I find it odd that Moog isn't commenting on this considering how common it seems to be.

I was sent a new pot to replace myself. They offered free repair (I'm in Canada and bought it from the States), I would just need to pay $200 or so in Shipping (which doesn't make much sense to me at this point). It doesn't bother me that much right now, I don't usually play much with the knob.

ChiLam
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:39 pm

Toom wrote:I find it odd that Moog isn't commenting on this considering how common it seems to be.

I was sent a new pot to replace myself. They offered free repair (I'm in Canada and bought it from the States), I would just need to pay $200 or so in Shipping (which doesn't make much sense to me at this point). It doesn't bother me that much right now, I don't usually play much with the knob.


I agree! I'm in europe so not much chance of me sending it back for repair work. I would like Moog to comment on this though.

Toom did you get a new knob to solve wobble or sound problems?

Did you contact Moog via the address [email protected]?

Dapifer
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Northern Ireland/Leeds, U.K

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by Dapifer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:58 pm

You might be better trying... [email protected] or [email protected]

They both got back to me within a day or two.

ChiLam
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:00 pm

Dapifer wrote:You might be better trying... [email protected] or [email protected]

They both got back to me within a day or two.


Great, thanks for that, I will give it a shot!

Dapifer
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 am
Location: Northern Ireland/Leeds, U.K

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by Dapifer » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:45 pm

ChiLam wrote:
Toom wrote:I agree! I'm in europe so not much chance of me sending it back for repair work. I would like Moog to comment on this though.


Where did you purchase it though? The supplier will carry out the repair work if it's under warranty. I'm in the U.K but purchased mine from Poland, the supplier sent a courier for mine to be picked up and repaired, took less than 2 weeks between pickup and return

ChiLam
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by ChiLam » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks Dapifer, the address worked and I have already heard back from Amos. He has explained that the difference in feel on the Filter Cut-off knob is just down to the size of the knob itself having more leverage on the shaft compared to the others - makes perfect sense. Operationaly there are no problems so no need to send it in.

Dapifer wrote:
Where did you purchase it though? The supplier will carry out the repair work if it's under warranty. I'm in the U.K but purchased mine from Poland, the supplier sent a courier for mine to be picked up and repaired, took less than 2 weeks between pickup and return


I live in, and purchased from, Norway. That is incredibly quick - Two Weeks!! I have been waiting 5 weeks for Arturia to repair my Minibrute which was less than three weeks old when It went faulty - and still no word on when it will be ready, lol. In addition they sent no courier, I had to take it back to the shop myself. Very good to hear about your positive experiences. Thanks again!

Blackout
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:19 am

Re: Filter Knob problem (SUB 37)

Post by Blackout » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:47 am

ChiLam wrote:Thanks Dapifer, the address worked and I have already heard back from Amos. He has explained that the difference in feel on the Filter Cut-off knob is just down to the size of the knob itself having more leverage on the shaft compared to the others - makes perfect sense. Operationaly there are no problems so no need to send it in.


sounds like exactly what i was saying:

Blackout wrote: i personally think the pot is probably the same 10k pot as all the others on the Sub37. but because the knob sitting on top of it is bigger and wider, i think it puts extra sideways pressure on the pot that it wasnt exactly prepared for...and it cant handle.

Post Reply