f_x

Re: Sub 37 editor/librarian and VST plugin

Post by f_x » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:21 pm

MacAquinas wrote:
Tinaxe106 wrote:...
I e-mailed Moog and this is the response:

"Hello,
They are still working on the editor.
Hopefully it will be done by the year’s end.
Thanks,"
This is more than a year ago (sep 2014). Any news on this anyone?
Moog Sub 37 (firmware 1.2.0, Subsequent 27 editor 1.0.0, MIDI driver 4.35.0) per USB
Windows 10 (64 bit)
Reaper 5.76 (64 bit)

Gametime

Post by Gametime » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:42 am

Yes yes yes , but still thats nothing i wanna hear.
If you say it will ship with the editor and almost 2 years later still not a release ?
I am aiming for a release .... I think 2017

bemushroomed

Post by bemushroomed » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:28 pm

I think they should make it a public beta since it now seems like they have something which is close to a Release Candidate.
It's one thing to not want an early alpha build as a public release, that's totally understandable.

If there's a way i can get into the closed beta testing i would be very interested, I have a lot of free time to test it, I have good experience with beta testing software (mostly from working on PC games i will admit, but i know how to report bugs and what to look out for).

THX5

Post by THX5 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:39 pm

Same here; I'd be willing to be a BETA tester as well. I'm currently a BETA tester for a major software vendor and am familiar with the testing protocols and NDA's.
Sub37 | Minitaur | Slim Phatty | MF-104M | MF-108M | MF-103 | CP-251 | 500 Series Ladder & Analog Delay | Strymon Big Sky
Windows 7 - 64 Bit | Pro Tools 12.5 | Ableton Live 9.6 & Push 2

Greenbacker

Post by Greenbacker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:18 pm

And same here too. I work a UI designer at a fairly well known platform and I would be happy to lend my expertise. :)

evileye

Post by evileye » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:23 pm

Whatever the excuse is, it isn't good enough at this point. I've been hearing for 6 months or more that it is almost done. That would have been acceptable when it was first released, now it is just insulting.

I understand how software development works, I've been a software developer going on 25 years now. The way that this was handled is abysmal. Since the first Sub37s shipped roughly 18 months ago, this plugin is 18 months late. I pretty sure I know what has happened. Whoever is responsible, has basically determined it is NOT a high priority. They think/know their customers won't care much about something which they see as an add-on when the hardware is selling so well.

Next time they sell a piece of hardware, don't bother making any claims about something you cannot deliver within 3 months of initial release (some will give you a lot less slack). It's borderline criminal. To me it's the principle and a company that wants to be in high regard with their consumers should not act this way.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:39 pm

I'm expecting it to be released at NAMM along with an OS update that includes a few new features.

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:38 pm

Bald Eagle wrote:I'm expecting it to be released at NAMM along with an OS update that includes a few new features.
And hopefully some bug fixes. <= Edit: needed to highlight URL manually

I don't really need an editor for a synth like this. With that beautiful knob per function (practically) panel, would people actually be using a keyboard and mouse to edit sounds? I'd much rather have parameter values displayed in the LCD, as in the preset value and knob value both being displayed, preferably with physical units where possible. A librarian would be good though, and it would require very little effort to make.
Last edited by DrJustice on Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

bemushroomed

Post by bemushroomed » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:45 am

Writing a patch name takes as long as takes to make a new sound from scratch, and yes i want unique names for my sounds, not Lead 1-30 etc. Im mostly interested in the librarian myself.

Toine

Post by Toine » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:12 am

I totally agree with evileye.
I am waiting for the software since i bought my Sub37 in february this year!

pb21

Post by pb21 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:36 am

Its still another 5 weeks away, its a long drawn out affair. On a positive note "a Moog is for life not just for Christmas" so another 5 weeks is a small amount of time.

paul_sub37

Post by paul_sub37 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:59 am

I don't really need an editor for a synth like this. With that beautiful knob per function (practically) panel, would people actually be using a keyboard and mouse to edit sounds? I'd much rather have parameter values displayed in the LCD, as in the preset value and knob value both being displayed
A software editor would make it easier to pick from lists eg SEQ MOD DST, but if I had to choose only one I'd go for the displayed preset vs knob values.

But right now we have neither - which makes it a pain to go back and edit old complex presets.

The other area where a software editor should earn its keep is editing sequences - especially entering modulation and viewing/editing/copying notes.
My Sub 37 Patches - Sub 37 + Mother 32 + UR-44 + OS X 10.11/Ableton Live/Logic Pro X + Push 2

DrJustice

Post by DrJustice » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:22 am

paul_sub37 wrote:...
The other area where a software editor should earn its keep is editing sequences - especially entering modulation and viewing/editing/copying notes.
Good point, Paul!

Anyway, a full editor/librarian is coming, so we'll "get it all" soon enough :)

bernard

Post by bernard » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:23 am

Bald Eagle wrote:I'm expecting it to be released at NAMM along with an OS update that includes a few new features.
DrJustice wrote:Anyway, a full editor/librarian is coming, so we'll "get it all" soon enough
Sorry guys, don't take it too personally. It seems that you are very attached to the company, but I'm tired to hear such words anymore.
I totally agree with eveleye and the many others who are disappointed. Meanwhile, I'm waiting 1 1/2 years for maintaining the many promises of Moog to release an Editor/Librian for the Sub37. Even my purchase contract says "included a software editor and VST plugin."
But Moog doesn't care.
Besides the editor, the often mentioned and important features like displaying parameters and a useful method of naming the presets are ignored. I suggested a suitable way months ago: Use the keys for choosing letters. There are 37 keys that could represent the 26 letters and the 10 numbers. Associating a letter with a key is really easy to learn and remember, pressing a key twice could switch between lower and upper case. But there wasn't a response from Moog yet.

I think the real reason for not releasing an editor is, that they have really problems with the USB interface. So many users reported issues when updating to new firmware. I had that problems too. Tried different computers and operating systems, not one worked as it should. Then Moog released the special Updater, it didn't work anyway. My last experience was recalibrating my second, miscalibrated Sub37 - by just sending some simple Sysex strings via USB. It also did not work as described. After many trials I got it working fortunately.

Many years ago, I wrote my own applications for polyframe/sounddiver to get working editors - but it requires a complete SysEx implementation. No USB, just MIDI. But Moog even don't have or don't release such an implementation.

I'm very disappointed.
I don't believe, I'll buy a moog again. The instruments sound is fantastic, of course, but as we say in Germany "other parents have beautyful daughters too".

best wishes
Bernard