Sub 37 mod wheel / aftertouch question

Everything Sub.
Bananaman

Sub 37 mod wheel / aftertouch question

Post by Bananaman » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:21 pm

Is it possible to assign different modulations for mod wheel and aftertouch in the same preset? For example, I would like the mod wheel to control filter cutoff while aftertouch controls an lfo modulation. So far I can't figure it out. Any advice would be appreciated.

Amos

Re: Sub 37 mod wheel / aftertouch question

Post by Amos » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:11 am

this is no problem; just use Mod 1 for one modulation, and Mod 2 for the other modulation.
Go into the CONTROLLERS section for each mod buss, and for example in Mod 1 Control set Mod Wheel to 100%, the other controllers to OFF... in Mod 2 Control set Aftertouch to 100%, other controllers to OFF.

For Mod 1 (filter cutoff) also go to MOD 1 EDIT on the menu, and set PGM SRC to CONST ON. Now on the panel, in the Mod 1 section set the Source switch to F.EG/PGM (this selects the programmable mod source which we've set to Constant On). Turn up the FILTER AMT and you should now have the mod wheel sweeping Filter Cutoff.

For Mod 2 (Aftertouch/LFO), set the Mod 2 Source switch to triangle LFO, or whatever LFO shape you want, and set whatever mod amounts you want... the aftertouch should bring in the LFO modulation.

Hope this helps!

Amos

JonLukas

Post by JonLukas » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Is there any chance that in the future, simple relationships can be set up between the mod wheel and/or aftertouch, to directly control a parameter, without having to use Mod1 or Mod2 ? Perhaps with the ability to set the degree to which the parameter is affected?

For example:

Wheel -> Filter Cutoff : 75%
Aftertouch -> Resonance : -40%

That would leave Mod1 and Mod2 free for other uses. Is this possible/desirable?
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

Bananaman

Post by Bananaman » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:20 pm

Thanks Amos!

bubblebobble

Post by bubblebobble » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:08 am

^ I'm wondering that same thing. I would love to set the mod wheel to effect the AEG Release time and then use MOD 1 & MOD 2 to modulate the filter cutoff and OSC 1/2 WAVE.

defex

Post by defex » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:59 pm

thanks amos!

am i right to say that after your mini-tutorial the Mod-Wheel behaves similar like the Filter-CV-in?

I'm trying to imitate with Ableton:
Tanzbär->CV->Sub37 filter cv: moving filter relative to the current cutoff-position.

so a big PLUS 1 on assigning MOD WHEEL (and AFTERTOUCH & BREATH) separate to MOD 1 & 2.

#dreaming...
together with CV->MIDI:
if the assignable CVs get forwarded as if CV would physically move the knobs, i can assign CV->MOD WHEEL->FILTER CUTOFF - then i can straight record all into ableton - and don't bleep up sounds that depend on 2x MOD
;-)

but anyway it's a crazy amazing synth already.
thanks from ibiza

funkpod

Post by funkpod » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Amos wrote:this is no problem; just use Mod 1 for one modulation, and Mod 2 for the other modulation.
Go into the CONTROLLERS section for each mod buss, and for example in Mod 1 Control set Mod Wheel to 100%, the other controllers to OFF... in Mod 2 Control set Aftertouch to 100%, other controllers to OFF.

For Mod 1 (filter cutoff) also go to MOD 1 EDIT on the menu, and set PGM SRC to CONST ON. Now on the panel, in the Mod 1 section set the Source switch to F.EG/PGM (this selects the programmable mod source which we've set to Constant On). Turn up the FILTER AMT and you should now have the mod wheel sweeping Filter Cutoff.

For Mod 2 (Aftertouch/LFO), set the Mod 2 Source switch to triangle LFO, or whatever LFO shape you want, and set whatever mod amounts you want... the aftertouch should bring in the LFO modulation.

Hope this helps!

Amos

.... SO.... if i do it as it says above, then the mod wheel from 0%-100% will be like turning the filter cutoff wheel from all the way left to right, 20hz to 20khz? or not?
Mac OS X, 10.9.5
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Nexus 6, Marshmallow 6.0.1 (Android, baby!)
Kurzweil PC-88MX
Moog SUB 37

fwilleke

Post by fwilleke » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:18 pm

I'd rather love to be able to use MOD Wheel and Aftertouch for the same MOD bus, by adding the two controller values, not multiplying them.
Would be cool to have MOD Wheel and Aftertouch control e.g. pitch modulation and still having the 2nd MOD Bus free for other stuff.
___
Sub 37 Cookbook
My Website
Gear List
Me on Instagram

15" late 2013 MacBook Pro
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:23 pm

fwilleke wrote:I'd rather love to be able to use MOD Wheel and Aftertouch for the same MOD bus, by adding the two controller values, not multiplying them.
I completely agree! In fact this is planned for the future of the Sub 37, but it requires some very low-level changes to the sound engine. Some of the necessary code is already written but it was too big a job to fold into this upcoming release.

I would say that adding controllers per mod bus is scheduled for the same update (in the indefinite but real future) as is showing the BPM on-screen for the sequencer and arp. These are probably the two biggest features that are planned but not yet implemented.

Cheers,

Amos

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:29 pm

Amos wrote:
fwilleke wrote:I'd rather love to be able to use MOD Wheel and Aftertouch for the same MOD bus, by adding the two controller values, not multiplying them.
I completely agree! In fact this is planned for the future of the Sub 37, but it requires some very low-level changes to the sound engine. Some of the necessary code is already written but it was too big a job to fold into this upcoming release.

I would say that adding controllers per mod bus is scheduled for the same update (in the indefinite but real future) as is showing the BPM on-screen for the sequencer and arp. These are probably the two biggest features that are planned but not yet implemented.

Cheers,

Amos
All good stuff Amos. Thanks.
One of the biggest requests has been to display the preset value and the current value of each knob when moved. When can we expect this?

robbd

Post by robbd » Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:47 am

vinnyburns wrote: One of the biggest requests has been to display the preset value and the current value of each knob when moved. When can we expect this?
BUMP BUMP BUMPITY BUMP BUMP

Bumping this 'cuz this is probably what moog needs to address 1st. An editor is kinda redundant in a knob-laden synth, IMHO