I find it quite difficult to make 'nice/beautiful' sounds on the SP. I end up with lotsa sounds i´d get from my MS20. I´m trying to get some creamy nice moog leads, but that's some hard work.
My patches tend toward the very simple, so I rarely save patches. But let me offer two suggestions.
1. Have you installed the computer editor? It comes with quite a few user patches, including a large batch from this chap here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV9-DNTtKk0
2. Here are some things that I've found helpful in getting "nice" sounds from the Sub Phatty:
- Keep the sound focused. Turn the sub oscillator all the way down. Detune OSC2 only slightly. And -- this is important, I think -- modulate the wave form by a small amount, if at all. Note also there's an under-the-hood setting to oscillate just one waveform, not both.
- With low resonance, you can afford to turn the oscillator volumes down in the mixer. With high resonance, you'll want to turn them up again.
- Glide settings between 2 and 5 can add to the cream.
- We think of triangle waves as sounding boring, but our Sub Phatties have a good range of sounds between triangle and saw that sound very nice. Try using this area for one oscillator or both.
- Conversely, I like the far end of square waveform for leads.
- There's nothing wrong with using one oscillator all by itself.