Sub 37 drums

Everything Sub.
DeckardTrinity

Sub 37 drums

Post by DeckardTrinity » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:38 pm

My Sub 37 finally arrived while I was on vacation - it was all I could do not to have it delivered to the hotel but I did the "right" thing and had it sent home instead, where I found it waiting patiently for me on the kitchen table (thanks to helpful in-laws!) last night. :mrgreen:

So far... I am overwhelmed, and that is saying something considering the months I've put into the Voyager XL. This is an incredible machine, no question about it, and a mighty bargain. For those still waiting - it is worth the wait!

Ok... on to the point of this post! I watched the latest Moog video just now (All Sounds Sub 37) and am very grateful for the incorporation of the preset / bank information in the video. However - those snare and hi-hat sounds (particularly the snare) don't seem to be included as presets. Can someone get me pointed in the right direction of recreating the snare? That is a wickedly good sound for a 2-oscillator analog synth!

Amos

Re: Sub 37 drums

Post by Amos » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:11 pm

start with noise as your sound source and shape the envelopes to taste, then add an oscillator or two (with a dull waveform such as triangle) and use a bit of filter envelope to modulate oscillator pitch. You want to use the oscillator to create the drumhead tone and the noise to create the snare crack, then balance the levels of these two sounds to your liking. minimum attack, a pretty fast decay, medium sustain level and longer release is the basic idea; then play very short percussive notes to get the right feel.

DeckardTrinity

Re: Sub 37 drums

Post by DeckardTrinity » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Thanks for the tutorial Amos, much appreciated! :D