Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
MoogProg

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by MoogProg » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:43 pm

Naming Patches It would be great to make use of the keyboard for naming patches. Current method is way to slow to do any patch management during practice time.

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:00 am

I summarized my favourite feature requests so far from the posts above..

My top priorities
1. There should be some way to select ’exact’ waveforms. Maybe if you hold some button while turning the shape knobs, it snaps to fixed values (triangle, saw, square, pulse).
2. Select mod-destination by touching that knob/button
3. Shuffle control for Arp/Seq
4. LFO fade in also would be quite useful. Also as an entry in CONTROLLERS or PRESET EDIT menu.
5. A quicker way to enter preset names, also via the computer (guess this is coming with the editor/librarian). For a start, just limit available characters to A-Z when holding some key.
6. When the Arpeggiator/Sequence is OFF, turn off the blinking RATE light. Or, ability to turn rate-LEDs of in global menu.
7. Velocity calibration. Keyboard velocity response seems way too sensitive. You have to be really gentle to achieve low velocity values. Maybe this needs user selectable response-curves
8. Firmware updates should be easier (1 step install), as an alternative to sysex-files
9. Librarian/Editor for Mac/PC would be great, but we all know that is coming sometime in the future.

Lower prio (for me) but would be nice
1. Multiple mod-destinations
2. single shot LFOs
3. Random patch generator
4. Display tempo in display (Arp/Seq rate)
5. Display parameter values for knobs in display when tweaking
6. Also display original value in display when editing stored patches

bujo

Post by bujo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:13 pm

jbottrop wrote:
bujo wrote:I just noticed that in Global menu > Seq Options if I set KBD reset ON it doesn't behave as explained in the manual. Instead of "restarting the sequence from the first note every time I press a new key", it actually just restart the rate of the arp/seq . In other words it "restart the internal clock" if I can say it that way... But this is only when I'm NOT latch on! When the latch is ON this option seems to have no effect at all on the arp/seq behaviour. Isn't that weird?
Sounds more like something for the firmware bugs thread than a feature suggestion ;-)
You're right, sorry for that... :oops: I will post this in the right thread.

bujo

Post by bujo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:27 pm

Here's an important one for me: we should be able to change the phase of the triangle wave of the LFOs. This would allow us to set where the triangle the LFO starts from and it would be useful specially when LFO is set on KB RESET or SYNCed to external clock. Actually it always start at the default phase beginning... Try to have the Sub37 synced to a beat and set one triangle LFO synced at a 1/8 rate, you will understand what I mean :)

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:56 pm

YAY! "Hold down the MOD DEST button and press or turn the modulation destination control" -- absolutely love that! Cannot wait to try announced sequencer improvements too!

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

bujo

Post by bujo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:01 pm

Wow! A lot of features requested by many users will be in this update! The workflow will be awesome!! Miam :)

sdconvoy

Post by sdconvoy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:30 pm

Alright, this might be a hardware limitation, BUT I would like to be able to assign the Mod wheel and aftertouch directly to parameters without sacrificing an LFO. Often times I'll want to use aftertouch or the mod wheel for cutoff depth, and I have to sac a LFO for it. Or at the very least maybe set it up so you can route the output of AT or Mod wheel to the CV Filter in?

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:35 am

Rufus the Dog wrote:Worth a look….
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/01/ ... 7-updates/
R.
Yes ... this sounds all great, the mod programming and specially a more powerful sequencer including swing. That's an incredible improvement.

But did I get it right that Moog now says "that's it"? Come on ... - ok - there is no need for a revolutionary upgrade, that synth is great, I love to play it, but there are allways opportunities for some improvements.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:21 am

Corgy wrote:But did I get it right that Moog now says "that's it"?
Hi Corgy,
Fortunately, no, you did not get that right.

(@ 11:00)
Q: Is there a point where you're going to go, "That's done"?

(@11:21)
A: "....so, at the point where everything that you could really want to do in a reasonable fashion is easy to do, at that point we're done. Overcomplicating it is definitely not the goal."

There is more joy to come...
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:15 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Corgy wrote:But did I get it right that Moog now says "that's it"?
Hi Corgy,
Fortunately, no, you did not get that right.
There is more joy to come...
Thanks - yes you are right - I replayed it - and I fully agree that we don't need to have an overcomplicated thing. If this keeps on like this, I fear that I have to buy a second Sub 37 :D

Sihaz

Post by Sihaz » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:11 pm

sdconvoy wrote:Alright, this might be a hardware limitation, BUT I would like to be able to assign the Mod wheel and aftertouch directly to parameters without sacrificing an LFO. Often times I'll want to use aftertouch or the mod wheel for cutoff depth, and I have to sac a LFO for it. Or at the very least maybe set it up so you can route the output of AT or Mod wheel to the CV Filter in?
There is starting to be a groundswell of support for this idea...

bujo

Post by bujo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:43 pm

As explained in details in this topic: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22823

Amongst other extravagant requests and other caprice I would have, this one is more of a "basic" nature:
Be able to dial a synced triplet value (1/4t, 1/8t...) when scrolling with the arpeggiator and LFOs rate knobs.

Isn't it an evidence that it should be possible? It's written in the manual...

Saonegin

Post by Saonegin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:32 am

Wow, Amos and the Crew have been doing some great work!
Rufus the Dog wrote:Worth a look….

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2015/01/ ... 7-updates/

R.

Tyler

Post by Tyler » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:35 pm

I too... agree completely with seeing some form of accurate tempo adjustment functionality being added to the ARP/SEQ modual (perhaps in the menu)... this is probably a stretch but it would be awesome!