Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
djstingray

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by djstingray » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:33 am

oblis wrote:Not sure if it's possible (or if its already been suggested), but for my own selfish desires it would be cool if the trigger CV input could be used to step through the notes of an Arp or Sequence with each trigger...like an analog sequencer shift input.
+1

This PLEASE! (admin can delete my thread)

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:28 am

Did anybody already ask for "swing" mode for the sequencer?

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:22 am

Having played a lot more with my Sub 37 I would like to reiterate my (and others) request to be able to read the value of a knob parameter for a patch vs value that a knob is currently set to … or something along those lines

R.

arjanhoekstra

Post by arjanhoekstra » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:50 pm

Corgy wrote:Did anybody already ask for "swing" mode for the sequencer?
Yes, this has been suggested. The more people do, the better. Having swing on the seq/arp will be huge.

lushr

Post by lushr » Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:45 pm

I would like to be able to use my iPad to access the deeper routing and other "under the hood" features live.

A synth editor but on the iPad.

It would be like having a never ending front panel, with unlimited knob per function, because the touchscreen can change to the needs of the user.

DUBMCT

Post by DUBMCT » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Well like y'all i just got my 37 and fell in love.

Suggestions:

-Have the osc programmable destination be the first field that comes up when you push the controller button.
This would be great for live instead of having to scroll through and select.

-Tempo value in the display.

Cheers
MOOG: micro/sub/37/M32/DFAM/105m/MF delay/MF trem

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:57 pm

DUBMCT wrote:Have the PGM DEST (programmable destination) be the first field that comes up when you push the CONTROLLER button.
This would be great for live instead of having to scroll through and select.
Hi DUBMCT,

The last used page and parameter in the CONTROLLERS editor will always be highlighted whenever you go back to the CONTROLLERS pages by lighting the CONTROLLERS button. This remains true even if you go to a different preset.

So you'd only have to go to that PGM DEST parameter once at the beginning of your live performance and it will always be ready until you power cycle.
Last edited by _DemonDan_ on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

DUBMCT

Post by DUBMCT » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:30 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
DUBMCT wrote:Have the PGM DEST (programmable destination) be the first field that comes up when you push the CONTROLLER button. This would be great for live instead of having to scroll through and select.
Hi DUBMCT,

The last used page and parameter in the CONTROLLERS editor will always be highlighted whenever you go back to the CONTROLLERS pages by lighting the CONTROLLERS button. This remains true even if you go to a different preset.

So you'd only have to go to that PGM DEST parameter once at the beginning of your live performance and it will always be ready until you power cycle.
Thanks for the info. Guess i was still in a daze with all the options, lights, and buttons to notice. :lol:

That sounds great.

D
MOOG: micro/sub/37/M32/DFAM/105m/MF delay/MF trem

rbmusic

Post by rbmusic » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:52 am

Im pretty happy with the way its working right now, but im crazy keen on a full dedicated PC/MAC editor. The ability to edit, save and import banks etc, i can see this will just make the process more fluid. i really tire of the hands on way of saving to the machine. i think thats about the only thing i find a bit frustrating.
but so far?? the current revision works really well for me. a big thanks to all those who are adding in suggestions cos it means we all benefit from this input as Sub users. A big thumbs up to Moog for there receptive attitude to this process.

Maikan

Post by Maikan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:28 pm

i'm not sure if this is possible, but i was really hoping it would be: i would like to be able to decouple the oscillators while playing sequences and arpeggios in dual mode, so that one oscillator is designated for playing the sequence, and the other is free to play notes along with it; for example, if oscillator 2 was designated for the sequencer and oscillator one was separate, depending on how the HI/LO/drone was set (let's say to "HI"), then the higher note being held would play the sequence/arp on oscillator 2, and the lower note being held would play an un-sequenced oscillator 1. Again, due to complete lack of technical wherewithal as pertains to analog synthesizers, i have no idea if this is possible.

Also, having LFO delay would be great.

AND:

Has anyone else had the experience of the sub 37 being incredibly buggy and unstable? because i have... i find often the gate gets stuck on, more often than not often my saved presets do not load as i saved them (at least not initially, sometimes never), and when i first got the Sub 37, the sequencer would only play sequences in continually ascending octaves (until they became inaudible); this at least seems to have stopped happening (which is weird in itself...). most of the problems seem related to the sequencer somehow; often the gate gets stuck on when i turn the sequencer/arpeggiator off, or switch between presets. So although the Sub 37 is very cool and sounds great, i would not trust it AT ALL for a live performance, as it is completely erratic. Would re-installing the firmware fix this? anyone else experiencing this kind of thing?

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:01 am

Maikan wrote:Has anyone else had the experience of the sub 37 being incredibly buggy and unstable? because i have... i find often the gate gets stuck on, more often than not often my saved presets do not load as i saved them (at least not initially, sometimes never), and when i first got the Sub 37, the sequencer would only play sequences in continually ascending octaves (until they became inaudible); this at least seems to have stopped happening (which is weird in itself...). most of the problems seem related to the sequencer somehow; often the gate gets stuck on when i turn the sequencer/arpeggiator off, or switch between presets. So although the Sub 37 is very cool and sounds great, i would not trust it AT ALL for a live performance, as it is completely erratic. Would re-installing the firmware fix this? anyone else experiencing this kind of thing?
Not here, example ... I have some patches that are sequenced, latched, and synchronised to an external clock. Switching between them goes fluid without disturbance or noises. Well, the sequences are quite simple melodies and no extreme modulations have been used.

Anyway, try to contact Moog service for help and let us know about the outcome.

klfnk

Post by klfnk » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:52 am

Hi Maikan,
Maikan wrote:i'm not sure if this is possible, but i was really hoping it would be: i would like to be able to decouple the oscillators while playing sequences and arpeggios in dual mode, so that one oscillator is designated for playing the sequence, and the other is free to play notes along with it; for example, if oscillator 2 was designated for the sequencer and oscillator one was separate, depending on how the HI/LO/drone was set (let's say to "HI"), then the higher note being held would play the sequence/arp on oscillator 2, and the lower note being held would play an un-sequenced oscillator 1. Again, due to complete lack of technical wherewithal as pertains to analog synthesizers, i have no idea if this is possible.
Unless I'm mistaking your question, this is explained in the recent Sub 37 Modulations and Sequences video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... oCQI#t=307
Moog Sub 37
Ableton Live 8.latest
Pro Tools 12 HD12.latest
RME Fireface UC
15" MacBook Pro Retina 2015 Yosemite

cbright9

Post by cbright9 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:30 pm

Maybe I haven't found them yet but how about an "original value" indicator and a "current value indicator"

Maybe I missed it, I just got my sub37 yesterday, but it would be nice to see where the knob is when the patch is called up, and Id like to see how I change the value over time. For instance the Arp and LFO rate knobs telling me what subdivision Im currently set at.
Moog LP StageII, Moog Sub37, Moog Midi Murf, Arturia MiniBrute, DSI Prophet 08, Akai MPC1000 JJos128XL, Yamaha AN1X, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Korg MS2000.

Maikan

Post by Maikan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:08 pm

klfnk wrote:Hi Maikan,
Maikan wrote:i'm not sure if this is possible, but i was really hoping it would be: i would like to be able to decouple the oscillators while playing sequences and arpeggios in dual mode, so that one oscillator is designated for playing the sequence, and the other is free to play notes along with it; for example, if oscillator 2 was designated for the sequencer and oscillator one was separate, depending on how the HI/LO/drone was set (let's say to "HI"), then the higher note being held would play the sequence/arp on oscillator 2, and the lower note being held would play an un-sequenced oscillator 1. Again, due to complete lack of technical wherewithal as pertains to analog synthesizers, i have no idea if this is possible.
Unless I'm mistaking your question, this is explained in the recent Sub 37 Modulations and Sequences video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... oCQI#t=307
Yeah, i don't think you really understood my question. What i'm talking about is not described in this video or any other. As far as i know it is not currently possible (but i would very much like it to be!)...

Maikan

Post by Maikan » Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Corgy wrote:
Maikan wrote:Has anyone else had the experience of the sub 37 being incredibly buggy and unstable? because i have... i find often the gate gets stuck on, more often than not often my saved presets do not load as i saved them (at least not initially, sometimes never), and when i first got the Sub 37, the sequencer would only play sequences in continually ascending octaves (until they became inaudible); this at least seems to have stopped happening (which is weird in itself...). most of the problems seem related to the sequencer somehow; often the gate gets stuck on when i turn the sequencer/arpeggiator off, or switch between presets. So although the Sub 37 is very cool and sounds great, i would not trust it AT ALL for a live performance, as it is completely erratic. Would re-installing the firmware fix this? anyone else experiencing this kind of thing?
Not here, example ... I have some patches that are sequenced, latched, and synchronised to an external clock. Switching between them goes fluid without disturbance or noises. Well, the sequences are quite simple melodies and no extreme modulations have been used.

Anyway, try to contact Moog service for help and let us know about the outcome.
That's odd (but ultimately good news), because i seeming can't switch between presets/patches without having some kind of issue.
Do you encounter latency problems when synched with a DAW? When i synch to Protools with the Sub 37 receiving clock and the sequencer of the sub 37 putting out midi back into protools, i find that the midi data arrives significantly later than it should/later than the audio. My midi setup is a bit convoluted (connecting 7 synths and a DAW) and involves a lot of cable length and a MIDI signal splitter, could the cables themselves be the issue? Is there a way to compensate for this lag in protools (i'm running PT 10 and/or 11)?