Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
Toom

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by Toom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:56 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
Toom wrote:Issue?
Some of the PGM DST for MOD 2 don't work. I'm been trying to get some of the MOD 2 sources to trigger OSC 1, SUB, OSC 2 ON but none of them work. MOD 1 is perfectly fine, but when it comes to editing some similar settings on MOD 2, they don't work. I have tested some that do work like FILT SLP. Does anyone know why some of the PGM DST wouldn't work in MOD 2 exactly like MOD 1? I've replicated all the exact parameters. Maybe something to look into?

FIX. Make sure aftertouch is at 0%. My bad.
The AFTERTOUCH parameter's value in MOD 2 was changed from 50% to 0% for version 1.0.2.

If you use the INIT feature to start from scratch, you'll now have the more convenient 0% AFTERTOUCH.

Also, if you load the Sub37_presets_1_2.syx file, you'll find that all of the INIT PRESETs from Bank 9 -16 now have 0% AFTERTOUCH in MOD 2.
It's still at 50% for me and I have the new firmware.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:21 pm

Toom wrote:It's still at 50% for me and I have the new firmware.
It won't change an existing preset. But it *will* have AFTERTOUCH = 0% if you do an INIT.

Also, as I mentioned, you have to load the new Preset file to get Banks 9-16 to have it.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:23 pm

Toom wrote:
_DemonDan_ wrote: Also, if you load the Sub37_presets_1_2.syx file, you'll find that all of the INIT PRESETs from Bank 9 -16 now have 0% AFTERTOUCH in MOD 2.
The new firmware doesn't change that setting on the presets that were already in the unit.
You'd need to either INIT the preset and re-save it, or do as Dan suggests and load the new 1.0.2 factory presets file.

We did not distribute the preset file with the firmware update, because we didn't want folks to accidentally overwrite any custom presets they've saved...
but if you are aware that sending this file will overwrite all the presets in your unit, and you've saved your custom sounds or don't have any yet, you can download the v1.0.2 all-presets file from this link:

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... ts_1_2.syx

charbot

Post by charbot » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:30 pm

I second the request for displaying the knob value

Toom

Post by Toom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Amos wrote:
Toom wrote:
_DemonDan_ wrote: Also, if you load the Sub37_presets_1_2.syx file, you'll find that all of the INIT PRESETs from Bank 9 -16 now have 0% AFTERTOUCH in MOD 2.
The new firmware doesn't change that setting on the presets that were already in the unit.
You'd need to either INIT the preset and re-save it, or do as Dan suggests and load the new 1.0.2 factory presets file.

We did not distribute the preset file with the firmware update, because we didn't want folks to accidentally overwrite any custom presets they've saved...
but if you are aware that sending this file will overwrite all the presets in your unit, and you've saved your custom sounds or don't have any yet, you can download the v1.0.2 all-presets file from this link:

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... ts_1_2.syx
Oh ok, sorry I thought the firmware update was all that. Thanks for the link!

lushr

Post by lushr » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:39 pm

I'd like when I'm turning the Rate knob on Arpeggiator, for the display screen to show what bpm it's moving to.

In fact I think that's essential.

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:02 am

ok, here are some more suggestions for firmware improvements and extra features (going over the s37 panel from left to right):

general: visual feedback for preset vs actual knob position
this has been mentioned by others, but i think it is so essential that it is worth repeating: when turning a knob or rotary switch, there should be some kind of feedback on the display about the relation between the knob's current position and the current preset's value for the corresponding parameter.
some have suggested displaying both values side by side.
i think a graphical solution might be more intuitive.
iirc, the access virus uses little cw or ccw arrows to indicate which way to turn a knob in order to reach the preset value.
another, more precise way would be to represent the knob/switch as a circle and indicate the preset value and knob position as two radii - possibly greying out the sector in between them as soon as the discrepancy between them becomes effective (this would be particularly hepful in 'knob thru' mode).

programming/global: velocity calibration
while i love the feel of the s37's aftertouch, its velocity response seems way too sensitive to me. you have to be reeeeaaaly gentle to achieve low velocity values. others will probably like it the way it is or maybe prefer it to be even more sensitive. so i think that some way of calibrating the velocity response or choose between different response curves would be helpful

programming: random patch generator
a random patch generator or patch randomization function would be a nice addition. these can be great for creating variations of existing patches or give you a starting point for crafting new ones.
one way of implementing this in the ui would be via the 'init' button: when holding the button, instead of initializing the preset buffer, a dialog could appear on the display giving you a choice between patch initialization and randomization (preferably with an option to set the degree of randomization).

sequencer: record modulation wheel position per step
i thought i had heard or read somewhere that it already does this, but mine doesn't and i can't find it in the manual, so here it is phrased as a feature suggestion: it would be really great if the sequencer could record the modulation wheel position per step. :)

mod busses: slower lfo rates!
even with 'hi range' inactive and the rate knob turned all the way ccw, the lfos are waay to fast for slowly evolving sounds. it seems that the 'hi range' button doesn't switch between high and low range, but between high an mid range, with low range strangely missing. so i think there should either be a lower range added (not sure how this could be implemented ui-wise), or the lower of the two ranges could be extended or shifted downwards significantly.

mod busses: lfo kb reset independent of vca eg retrigger
currently, when playing legato notes, the lfos will only retrigger if the amp eg is set to 'multitrigger'. this doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me. lfo reset and eg retrigger are two separate things, i don't think there should be a connection between them. or maybe make this an option in the mod menu. but i'd definitely like to reset the lfos without retriggering the eg.

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:31 am

also:

midi cc dump/snapshot:
in addition to sysex dumps, it might be useful if all phatties could also send their current buffer preset as a midi cc/nrpn dump. provided that cc/nrpn parameters are the same on all phatties, this might make it possible to send little phattie presets to your sub phatty or sub 37 and vice versa. of course, it would only cover the parameters that the two synths invovled have in common, but it seems better than nothing. does this make sense at all?

global/tuning scales:
shouldn't this be a per preset setting rather than a global one?
personally, i don't often use different scales, but i could imagine that some people might like to play one song in one scale and another in a different one without having to dive into the global menu...

lushr

Post by lushr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 am

I understand the desire for the display to show the setting of every knob, but this is a feature of the voyager and was never going to be a feature on the sub 37. The lack of panel space means the lights the LP had to show settings weren't going to be an option either.

This synth cost me $2000 thanks to the extra shipping to Australia, but it isn't going to have every feature under the sun, BPM is essential to working with other instruments (in my view) but if you want to know the settings of the presets, then the editor will be coming out soonish, or you can export the Sussex files and have a read of them. Personally I just twiddle the knob to see where it was before I messed with it. And if I don't want to mess with a preset I've written I save a copy.

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:41 am

ok, here is one more: unleash the lfos!

i appreciate how the second mod bus and the generous amount of mod destinations are a great step forward compared to the lp and sp. they open up a great variety of modulation options. hey, they are why i bought this synth - the first time i bought a modern moog.
however, what bugged me while exploring my new s37 yesterday, was how the two lfos are hardwired to the two mod busses. for example, if you select the filter eg as your modulation source for mod bus 1, lfo 1 will just run idle and not modulate anything. what a waste!

so here is what i would suggest: instead of hardwiring the lfos to the mod busses, give them direct links to some of the most common lfo mod destinations. just as the two envelope generators are hardwired to be a filter and a vca eg, make the two lfos usable as an osc and a filter lfo independently of the mod busses.

here is a quick & somewhat conservative hack showing how this might be achieved with the exact same hardware controls that the s37 already offers, just repurposing/relabelling some of them:

so i moved the mod source switch from the rotary switch in the lfo section to what used to be the osc1/2 switch of the mod bus. it now switches the mod source between the lfo and whatever you like to set it to in the pgm menu instead - just like before. but now, the lfos can still modulate osc1/2 (lfo 1) and filter cutoff/resonance (lfo2) indepenendtly from the two mod busses. so you'd essentially gain two additionall, lfo-specific mod busses!

the rotary switch now just sets the lfo waveform, with the one extra position available. as an additional lfo waveform, i would suggest sample&glide, to nicely complement the sample&hold wave.

maybe this could be an idea for phuture phatties, like the upcoming post-tribute s37? and us tribute pioneers might berhaps get some alternative panel overlay to install on our phatties?

(just phantasizing, of course. after all, moog music are encouraging us to come up with suggestions. if this one is going to phar, just phile it under phan phiction ;) )

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:51 am

also, i think it would be nice if in the arp/seq section, the 'back/forth' button would also work for the sequence, not just for the arpeggiator.

gencomprodukts

Post by gencomprodukts » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:14 am

bartleby wrote:also, i think it would be nice if in the arp/seq section, the 'back/forth' button would also work for the sequence, not just for the arpeggiator.
Great idea! + having shuffle would be pretty cool.
MOOG Memorymoog+, Sub 37, CP251, ROLAND SH-1, SH-2, SH-7, SH101, Juno 60, SVC350, TR808, SCI Prophet 5 Rev.3.1, KORG Mono/poly, KR55, OBERHEIM SEM, WALDORF Microwave 1, DSI Prophet 08 Desktop PE, BOSS DR-55, BassBot TT303, AKAI MPC1000 JJOS2XL.

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:04 pm

Some sort of visual representation of current knob/parameter value differences from preset values would be immensely helpful!

Also, I upgraded my firmware to 1.0.2 last night successfully without bricking it, thankfully. There's also a tunings sysex file in the zip. Can I just open that file in C6, load and send it at any time or is timing of loading that file crucial?

Thanks!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:03 pm

ImNotDedYet wrote:There's also a Tunings sysex file in the zip. Can I just open that file in C6, load and send it at any time or is timing of loading that file crucial?
I probably wouldn't do it in the middle of a update but, after you've updated the Sub 37, you can send that SysEx file at any time.

It will load 12? (I'm not near my Sub 37 at the moment) tuning scales into the TUNING SCALE sub menu in the GLOBAL menu.

The normal tuning can be found at slot #1.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

ImNotDedYet

Post by ImNotDedYet » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Thx DemonDan!