Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
JazzMasta

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by JazzMasta » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:13 am

lushr wrote:I understand the desire for the display to show the setting of every knob, but this is a feature of the voyager and was never going to be a feature on the sub 37.
It doesn't have to be a huge thing to show knob settings. There's a simple way this could be implemented with a firmware update:

1. When a knob is turned, just replace the two patch name lines in the display with param name and value instead. Now the user can make exact adjustments to any knob. When the knob stops moving, the lcd switches back to show patch name.

2. If you have loaded a preset and want to know the value for a certain knob, just hold (for example) the 'cursor' button and turn the knob - the display will know show the original/stored value of the knob. When just release the 'cursor' button, the knob goes back to work as usual (with the lcd showing the new value)

I think this would be enough for most people.

mrberger

Post by mrberger » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:43 pm

I would like to see a feature implemented in the software menu for the arpeggiator where you could set the rate via beats per minute (BPM). I don't have access to a DAW/computer when gigging and sometimes it takes a few seconds to dial in the correct tempo via the rate knob

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:41 am

Here's my wish list so far for firmware updates:

1. There should be some way to select ’exact’ waveforms. If you know you want a square or sawtooth, the only way now is to listen and turn the knob until it sounds right. Maybe if you hold some button while turning the shape knobs, it snaps to fixed values (triangle, saw, square, pulse).

2. When a knob is turned, show current knob value by replacing the two patch name rows in the display with param name and value instead. Now the user can make exact adjustments to any knob. When the knob stops moving, the lcd switches back to show patch name after a second or two.

3. If you have loaded a preset and want to know the value for a certain knob, just hold (for example) the 'cursor' button and turn a knob - the display will now show the original/stored value of that knob. When you release the 'cursor' button, the knob goes back to work as usual (with the lcd showing the new value)

4. For faster naming of patches, maybe one could hold some button to constrain the available characters to only lowercase letters a-z. This way, turning the Fine tune knob will only scroll through 25 characters instead of 70+. Maybe it could even be limited to a-z by default, requiring an key press for the extra characters.

5. Firmware updates should be easier. It’s a whole procedure now, installing third party software and loading a series of sysex files. It should be just an app you download and run while having the instrument connected to USB. Swedish brand Clavia/Nord is a model of how it should be done in this case.

6. Show tempo for arp/sequencer in display

(7. Librarian/Editor for Mac/PC would be great, especially for naming/organizing presets)
Last edited by JazzMasta on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:51 am

JazzMasta wrote:Here's my wish list so far for firmware updates:

1. There should be some way to select ’exact’ waveforms. If you know you want a square or sawtooth, the only way now is to listen and turn the knob until it sounds right. Maybe if you hold some button while turning the shape knobs, it snaps to fixed values (triangle, saw, square, pulse).

2. When a knob is turned, show current knob value by replacing the two patch name rows in the display with param name and value instead. Now the user can make exact adjustments to any knob. When the knob stops moving, the lcd switches back to show patch name after a second or two.

3. If you have loaded a preset and want to know the value for a certain knob, just hold (for example) the 'cursor' button and turn a knob - the display will know show the original/stored value of that knob. When you release the 'cursor' button, the knob goes back to work as usual (with the lcd showing the new value)

4. For faster naming of patches, maybe one could hold some button to constrain the available characters to only lowercase letters a-z. This way, turning the Fine tune knob will only scroll through 25 characters instead of 70+. Maybe it could even be limited to a-z by default, requiring an key press for the extra characters.

5. Firmware updates should be easier. It’s a whole procedure now, installing third party software and loading a series of sysex files. It should be just an app you download and run while having the instrument connected to USB. Swedish brand Clavia/Nord is a model of how it should be done in this case.

(7. Librarian/Editor for Mac/PC would be great, especially for naming/organizing presets)
Spot on!

breun

Post by breun » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:44 pm

JazzMasta wrote:5. Firmware updates should be easier. It’s a whole procedure now, installing third party software and loading a series of sysex files. It should be just an app you download and run while having the instrument connected to USB. Swedish brand Clavia/Nord is a model of how it should be done in this case.
Distributing a firmware update as a sysex file means it can be sent from any platform that supports sending sysex data. Distributing firmware updates as applications for specific platforms means only platforms that can run those apps can be used to install the firmware update. I've been bitten before by an audio device that could only be updated via some updater app that only ran on Windows 95. Good luck getting that to work on your shiny new Mac in 2014 (maybe not impossible, but not a lot of fun).

If Moog would start providing update applications, I would suggest sticking with making available the raw sysex files as well. Because you never know who'll want to run that update in a few years time.

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:02 am

JazzMasta wrote:Here's my wish list so far for firmware updates:

3. If you have loaded a preset and want to know the value for a certain knob, just hold (for example) the 'cursor' button and turn a knob - the display will know show the original/stored value of that knob. When you release the 'cursor' button, the knob goes back to work as usual (with the lcd showing the new value)

Excellent list JazzMasta!!

Items 2 & 3 are implemented in some form or other on the Bass Station II and Nord Lead 4 and they are dead handy particularly, in my case, where you want to start from a preset and make changes so you need to set up the 'panel' to match the preset. I think my Little Phatty Stage II has a similar feature using the LED rings around the encoders.

.. and a definite YES to 6

R.

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:02 am

breun wrote: Distributing a firmware update as a sysex file means it can be sent from any platform that supports sending sysex data. Distributing firmware updates as applications for specific platforms means only platforms that can run those apps can be used to install the firmware update. I've been bitten before by an audio device that could only be updated via some updater app that only ran on Windows 95. Good luck getting that to work on your shiny new Mac in 2014 (maybe not impossible, but not a lot of fun).

If Moog would start providing update applications, I would suggest sticking with making available the raw sysex files as well. Because you never know who'll want to run that update in a few years time.
Yes the sysex option should always remain to avoid future troubles, good catch!

But since most firmware updates are made within 1-3 years of the original product release, most firmware updates will be done between 2014-2016 for this product.. so some automatic update tool for OSX 10.8+ and Win7+ would be nice for easy updates.

HicoMe

Post by HicoMe » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:10 am

A Transpose-function in the Preset-Edit menue would be fine, so that you can transpose a Sound and save it within the preset. Would be nice for Not-Emerson-like live-players like me ... 8)

Best Regards
Heiko
My current Moogs: Sub 37
My former Moogs: Minimoog Model D, heavily selfmodified Prodigy, Satellite, Etherwave Theremin

B3 guy

Post by B3 guy » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:33 am

Velocity curve options please. I'm trying to control mod destinations through velocity and it feels like the velocity curve is extremely concave. I can usually adjust to a new board but I'm having real problems with it going from zero to warp 1001.

BrufordRules

Post by BrufordRules » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:17 am

Sorry if this was posted before but CV Mapping via Editor would be awesome. Just like in the Minitaur.

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Amos,
Would it be possible to add a controller option Source similar to the Dave Smith " Slop" which simulates the unstable behavior of vintage VCO's ? I think that would be a very useful and exciting feature for achieving some Model-D sounds. Maybe it could be called Vintage or Unstable or even Model-D. Perhaps there is something already included that would approximate this effect which I have not discovered or properly understood.

Would anyone else here like to have that option?
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

gencomprodukts

Post by gencomprodukts » Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:29 pm

MacAquinas wrote:Amos,
Would it be possible to add a controller option Source similar to the Dave Smith " Slop" which simulates the unstable behavior of vintage VCO's ? I think that would be a very useful and exciting feature for achieving some Model-D sounds. Maybe it could be called Vintage or Unstable or even Model-D. Perhaps there is something already included that would approximate this effect which I have not discovered or properly understood.

Would anyone else here like to have that option?
+1! It would be really cool.
MOOG Memorymoog+, Sub 37, CP251, ROLAND SH-1, SH-2, SH-7, SH101, Juno 60, SVC350, TR808, SCI Prophet 5 Rev.3.1, KORG Mono/poly, KR55, OBERHEIM SEM, WALDORF Microwave 1, DSI Prophet 08 Desktop PE, BOSS DR-55, BassBot TT303, AKAI MPC1000 JJOS2XL.

brookermusic

Post by brookermusic » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:06 pm

First of all, I want to say thankyou to Amos and the whole Moog crew for making, without a doubt, the most inspiring piece of gear I've ever owned. I can't tear myself away from it!

3 ideas I have so far:

1. In the modulation window, when selecting a destination it would be really nice to be able to just twiddle the knob of where I want the source to go. This would make creation time so much quicker! Going through a list of 20+ destinations can take a minute, especially at 3 in the morning after an intense day of making the neighbors' water glasses shake like a dang T Rex.

2. Basically what I said above but for the Source. This is not as vital but would be a well welcomed feature.

3. Multiple modulation destinations. I realize this could be a hardware limitation, as I haven't studied the schematic, but if it is possible, it would greatly improve the sonic prowess of this beast. A shared modulation depth would be totally fine, but an option of individual depth inside the menu would be stokes-worthy as well.

Thanks again so much! Cheers!

oblis

Post by oblis » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:02 pm

Not sure if it's possible (or if its already been suggested), but for my own selfish desires it would be cool if the trigger CV input could be used to step through the notes of an Arp or Sequence with each trigger...like an analog sequencer shift input.

lushr

Post by lushr » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:33 am

Are we getting any closer to a traditional installer? Is 1.0.3 more stable? I've been travelling for a month and thought we'd have more progress by the time I got back. Check back in a month?