Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
synthesis4all

Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by synthesis4all » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:28 pm

Perhaps we can have an official within reason feature suggestion post that suggests or gives ideas to the firmware developer for the sub 37 at Moog..

Here are my first two that I have thought of..

1. a precise tempo input or indicator, with the ability to set the exact tempo through the menu, meaning a user could go through the cursor or dial and input a precise tempo: example 133.35

2. the ability to have the sequencer record the length of the note hold instead of just the note.. meaning , if I hold the note that the sequencer uses the next spaces to accurately record that instead of the note ending and restarting on each step.

those are the only two I have thought of so far.. Would love to hear others..
:idea:

easyjoey

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by easyjoey » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:35 pm

I completely agree with those suggestions. Also...

Some indicator of the original value of an altered setting. For instance, when you change a value on the voyager, it tells you the current value and the original value.

Really beefing up the sequencer with options such as note length, accents, etc.

Thanks

Joe

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Looks like the latest Firmware update is now live:

New in 1.0.2
* Custom tuning selection
* Poly mode
* MIDI output filtering now includes keyboard and wheel options
* Arpeggiator and sequencer reliability improvements
* MIDI sync behavior fixes and improvements
* Numerous other user interface reliability improvements
Last edited by jido-genshi on Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toom

Post by Toom » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:58 pm

What's poly mode?

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:37 am

Toom wrote:What's poly mode?
It is the ability to poly-chain more than one Phatty; so you can, for example, connect the Sub 37 to the Sub Phatty and have it act as one "polyphonic" synth. Moog has an example showing how to connect the Little Phatty to a stack of Slim Phattys - http://www.moogmusic.com/sight-and-soun ... poly-chain

:)

easyjoey

Post by easyjoey » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:37 am

I hope they issue Sub 37s in a rack form like the slim phatty. I would be all over that!

Toom

Post by Toom » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:04 pm

Suggestion:

There should be a setting in the menu to allow the 2 OSCs to stay split in Duo Mode. Currently, if I play one note, I get both OSCs, then it splits if I press another note while holding the original. I think it'd be great if there was a setting that would allow you to have each OSC was always split. That way, when you only play one note, it will only play one OSC. I find it a bit annoying in some presets when you release the second note and the single note gets the boost in sound/tone. You should have the option to set Duo Mode as one note, one OSC...

Sounds simple, but I don't know if it is. Hopefully it can be made into a toggle setting in the menu

JonLukas

Post by JonLukas » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 pm

A simple request:

When the Arpeggiator/Sequence is OFF, turn off the blinking RATE light.
Pianoteq, Guda KickR, Drumaxx, Diva, Pigments, Flow Motion, Kontakt, Omnisphere 2, StudioLogic SL73, MainStage, Logic Pro X.
Downtempo performed live: http://echofabric.com

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:18 am

Toom wrote:Suggestion:

There should be a setting in the menu to allow the 2 OSCs to stay split in Duo Mode. Currently, if I play one note, I get both OSCs, then it splits if I press another note while holding the original. I think it'd be great if there was a setting that would allow you to have each OSC was always split. That way, when you only play one note, it will only play one OSC. I find it a bit annoying in some presets when you release the second note and the single note gets the boost in sound/tone. You should have the option to set Duo Mode as one note, one OSC...
this is how i expected Duo mode to work when it was initially explained to me! i was a bit shocked to find this is not the case. i agree big time Toom this should definately be an option. a mode for "1 Oscillator per key"

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:53 am

Toom wrote:There should be a setting in the menu to allow the 2 OSCs to stay split in Duo Mode. Currently, if I play one note, I get both OSCs, then it splits if I press another note while holding the original. I think it'd be great if there was a setting that would allow you to have each OSC was always split. That way, when you only play one note, it will only play one OSC. I find it a bit annoying in some presets when you release the second note and the single note gets the boost in sound/tone. You should have the option to set Duo Mode as one note, one OSC...Sounds simple, but I don't know if it is.
Hi Toom,

In an analog synth the oscillators are always running. They don't start and stop each time you play a key (unlike sample-based instruments). It's typically the Amplifier section (usually the last section in the audio path, unless there are effects) that turns the synth's sound on and off.

So... the ability to shut that 2nd note off without also shutting off the first note is often impossible for basic analog synths.

But... as you've probably noticed, the Sub 37 goes way beyond most non-modular synths in terms of programming flexibility.

There are actually two ways to shut off an individual sound in the Mixer section of a Sub 37. You have a Volume knob as well as an On button. Both of these controls are Modulation Destinations in both Mod 1 and Mod 2. So... half of the problem is already solved!

What is still required is a Control Source that senses whether there are 'one' or 'more than one' keys pressed. If such a Control Source existed you could then assign it to OSC 2 On so that, any time there was more than a single key being pressed, OSC 2 would then turn on in the Mixer.

I will forward your idea and the potential solution to the Moog geniuses to see if such a control source could be made.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Toom

Post by Toom » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:52 pm

If it's possible to implement, it'd be a nice option. Obviously I don't understand the back end enough to know this for sure, I was just throwing an idea out there. :)

Yeah, it's probably not as simple as it sounds considering your explanation. But the Sub 37 is already a pretty insanely complex sonic beast, I'm sure the team is capable. I don't think I'll ever stop being amazed at the possibilities of the Sub 37. Truly remarkable that they were able to pack so much goodness in a small and very cost-friendly package.

I'll keep thinking of other suggestions.

Yogi108

Post by Yogi108 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:55 am

The ability to select a specific tempo is a must in my opinion... The syc with an external clock does not work as of the latest update (firmware 1.0.2 killed my sub 37 and I've been unable to use it for 3 days with no luck so far on fixing it), so how else can we sync with other gear?

My suggestion: press and hold the sync button in the arpeggiator section and then move the rate knob. This would then initiate a new display on the LCD that would allow for exact rate adjustments of the tempo... This could also be an option for the Mod 1 and Mod 2 sections (!!!) as well as the envelope generators!!

Toom

Post by Toom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:26 pm

Issue?

When recording a sequence in DUO mode, pressing two notes sometimes doesn't play both notes. It seems to be intermittent. It's hard to tell what it will sound like once you play the sequence because of these weird cut outs. I find that I'm having to press and hold the first notes and then press the second note after to hear the proper DUO sound. Hopefully you guys understand what I mean. Please test it out and see for yourselves.

Toom

Post by Toom » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:34 pm

Issue?

Some of the PGM DST for MOD 2 don't work. I'm been trying to get some of the MOD 2 sources to trigger OSC 1, SUB, OSC 2 ON but none of them work. MOD 1 is perfectly fine, but when it comes to editing some similar settings on MOD 2, they don't work. I have tested some that do work like FILT SLP. Does anyone know why some of the PGM DST wouldn't work in MOD 2 exactly like MOD 1? I've replicated all the exact parameters. Maybe something to look into?

FIX. Make sure aftertouch is at 0%. My bad.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:44 pm

Toom wrote:Issue?
Some of the PGM DST for MOD 2 don't work. I'm been trying to get some of the MOD 2 sources to trigger OSC 1, SUB, OSC 2 ON but none of them work. MOD 1 is perfectly fine, but when it comes to editing some similar settings on MOD 2, they don't work. I have tested some that do work like FILT SLP. Does anyone know why some of the PGM DST wouldn't work in MOD 2 exactly like MOD 1? I've replicated all the exact parameters. Maybe something to look into?

FIX. Make sure aftertouch is at 0%. My bad.
The AFTERTOUCH parameter's value in MOD 2 was changed from 50% to 0% for version 1.0.2.

If you use the INIT feature to start from scratch, you'll now have the more convenient 0% AFTERTOUCH.

Also, if you load the Sub37_presets_1_2.syx file, you'll find that all of the INIT PRESETs from Bank 9 -16 now have 0% AFTERTOUCH in MOD 2.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _