Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
evileye

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by evileye » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:17 am

DaveBee wrote:Hey all ... new to the party. Only had my Sub 37 a month and still sorting it out. My top priority requests are redundant but want to add another vote. Sorry if my understanding of existing features is not complete.

5. For newbies like me to not let the daw turn local control off as a default at least so you don't have a heart attack thinking your brand new synth is already broken (yeah ... happened :roll: ).
That sounds like something you should expect from a setting in your DAW and most DAW that do this have such a setting.

Personally, I've always want Local Control On/Off switches on the front panel I end up using them so much.

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:08 pm

Queston for you guys and didnt want to start a new thread and it could be a recomendation if the answer is no.

Can the fine tune knob be modulated in any way? I was thinking if it could you could modulate some drift into the sub 37 sort of like how some digital synths have a slop button.

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:38 am

Can the fine tune knob be modulated in any way? I was thinking if it could you could modulate some drift into the sub 37 sort of like how some digital synths have a slop button.
This is coming in 1.1 firmware. It is called variance rather than slop but is the same thing.
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:59 am

mattyp wrote:This is coming in 1.1 firmware. It is called variance rather than slop but is the same thing.
It's not really the same thing as slop though. Slop usually acts like a free running pitch variance (sort of similar to how a free running LFO acts), while the new variance parameter is a random pitch generator that is triggered by each note you play. You can think of it as a sample and hold modulation, whose single steps are triggered by each note you play. I.e. the pitch variance doesn't gradually change when you hold a key, rather the variance stays the same for each note.
Beta Test Info:
macOS 10.12.6 | Ableton Live Suite 10 | plug-in format: AU | current Moog gear: MF-104M Analog Delay, Minitaur, Sub 37 Tribute Edition

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:33 am

franklinstower wrote:Can the FINE TUNE knob be modulated in any way? I was thinking if it could you could modulate some drift into the Sub 37 sort of like how some digital synths have a slop button.
The FINE TUNE knob does not have an associated CC# or NRPN.

But, since the FINE TUNE knob would affect all of the oscillators in exactly the same amount and direction, I don't think it would work anywhere near as well as the forthcoming VARIANCE parameter, which works very musically.

I think you'll like it.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

franklinstower

Post by franklinstower » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:39 pm

^^^^

Great news. Even without the variance setting you can got some pretty hypnotic movement out of the oscillators as is, cant wait to hear it after the firmware update.

Dreux

Post by Dreux » Sun May 03, 2015 1:49 am

Really needs encoders instead of pots. When I go to a new patch, there's a disconnect when first changing pot value as the pot is absolute compared to encoders, which are relative. That's the only flaw, IMO.

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Sun May 03, 2015 9:50 am

Real Parameters on the display like the Voyager does. This would be incredibly useful.
I can't think of anything else it's lacking now, it's pretty fantastic @ 1.1
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

breun

Post by breun » Sun May 03, 2015 10:02 am

Dreux wrote:Really needs encoders instead of pots. When I go to a new patch, there's a disconnect when first changing pot value as the pot is absolute compared to encoders, which are relative. That's the only flaw, IMO.
The pots can't magically be turned into encoders, but you can configure different behaviors for the pots.

From the manual:
POT MODE (GLOBAL MENU 1.4)

When changing presets, the physical positions of the panel knobs will not match the values saved in a preset. POT MODE allows you to specify how a knob responds when you make changes to its position.

ABS: In absolute mode (default) the value of a parameter jumps to the knob’s current position as soon as you begin turning it.
THRU: In pass through mode turning a knob has no effect until it reaches its preset value and then takes effect.
RLTV: In relative mode turning a knob up or down slightly causes a minor change in value, while turning it further causes an increasingly greater change in value. This allows the value to “catch up” with the knob’s position and prevents any sudden jumps in sound.

NOTE: Relative and pass through modes are recommended for live performance, while absolute mode is recommended for creating new sounds.
So, if you don't want sudden changes when turning a pot, you'll want to use either the pass through or relative mode. In live situations I like to use pass through myself, but I set it to absolute when I'm finding new sounds at home.

innervisions

Post by innervisions » Sun May 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Concerning pot mode: I would love to have a shortcut (button combination) to change this more easily and quickly.

electronicanonymous

Post by electronicanonymous » Tue May 05, 2015 4:42 am

obviously this is a little late to the point w/ the new firmware release, but i just thought of a cool function. i'm not sure if this would be possible, but follow me here: what if there was a way to take whatever arpeggiator pattern you are playing and be able to turn it into a sequence. for example; if you had the arp set to ORDER and had BACK/FORTH engaged and hit a combination of keys that created a desirable pattern, that you could then be able to save the currently playing pattern as a saveable and editable step sequence.

GregVDS

Post by GregVDS » Tue May 05, 2015 11:12 am

One could imagine this:
LATCH ON being ON,
holding down LATCH ON, one could simply turn the PATTERN switch from ORDER to SEQ to record the current arpeggiation to a sequence.

How about that Amos?

bemushroomed

Post by bemushroomed » Tue May 05, 2015 12:18 pm

Maybe it has been mentioned, but it would be really nice if the incoming CV could be translated to MIDI so that in for example the CV notes from a sequencer etc could be recordered..

fiftydegrees

Post by fiftydegrees » Thu May 07, 2015 6:53 pm

evileye wrote:
DaveBee wrote: 5. For newbies like me to not let the daw turn local control off as a default at least so you don't have a heart attack thinking your brand new synth is already broken (yeah ... happened :roll: ).
Personally, I've always want Local Control On/Off switches on the front panel I end up using them so much.
I want to echo this one, too. I kept thinking something was wrong with my Sub 37. Then I noticed its local control settings changed when Cakewalk SONAR started up. SONAR apparently lets you disable that (haven't tried it), but does anyone else feel the firmware should ignore this by default?

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:10 am

Regarding the step sequencer, it would be nice to have a reverse mode (like the back/forth mode without the forth).