Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
joe_moog

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by joe_moog » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:31 pm

Oh, now that's cool! No idea how I missed that thread. Just like Dan was saying, one of the main reasons for wanting this is so one can program the 37 in low light or darkness. I'm gonna try to get some of that gel!

Still interested in a brightness control via firmware update, though!
Sub 37 • Voyager Select Whitewash/Lunar White • VX-351 • Little Phatty Stage II w/CV out • Slim Phatty (x3)
MF-101 • MF-102 • MF-104SD • MF-103 • CP-251 • MF-108M • MF-105M
Moog Pocket Protector

narrowcaster

Post by narrowcaster » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:13 pm

There's another thread about this, but I thought I'd add it here to be with the rest of the requests...

It could be useful if there was a mode where the synth would ignore external play/stop message while still being synced to external clock. This isn't a common feature, but it has just been added to the Roland TR-8 and comes in really handy for live jamming with multiple looped/sequenced devices all slaved to a single clock.

lushr

Post by lushr » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:29 pm

I'm hoping a new manual will come out with the new firmware update as it seems like a major change

Also I'm wondering whether sequences can be chained?

JazzMasta

Post by JazzMasta » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:41 am

lushr wrote:I'm hoping a new manual will come out with the new firmware update as it seems like a major change
Perhaps an addendum pdf will suffice, so that if you want to print it you won't have to reprint the entire manual?

Etamin

Post by Etamin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:11 pm

sdconvoy wrote:Alright, this might be a hardware limitation, BUT I would like to be able to assign the Mod wheel and aftertouch directly to parameters without sacrificing an LFO. Often times I'll want to use aftertouch or the mod wheel for cutoff depth, and I have to sac a LFO for it. Or at the very least maybe set it up so you can route the output of AT or Mod wheel to the CV Filter in?
I would like this also, please :D

Peter

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:39 pm

Amos, would it be possible by firmware change to map the CV's as outputs or is that a strict hardware constraint?
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:46 pm

MacAquinas wrote:Amos, would it be possible by firmware change to map the CV's as outputs or is that a strict hardware constraint?
Hi MacAquinas,

The Sub 37's design is such that it can not have CV Outs either via software or hardware updates.

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21376
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

MacAquinas

Post by MacAquinas » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:01 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
MacAquinas wrote:Amos, would it be possible by firmware change to map the CV's as outputs or is that a strict hardware constraint?
Hi MacAquinas,

The Sub 37's design is such that it can not have CV Outs either via software or hardware updates.

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21376
Tell them to go ahead and make the Sub 37 XL I'll take one ! :D
Black Minimoog Voyager XL, Sub37, Slim Phatty, Mother-32, MF-104M SD, MF-105M, MP-201, CP-251, Theremini, Animoog ;-) . Roland Fantom G8 & Integra-7, Korg MS-20

innervisions

Post by innervisions » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:50 pm

Another idea for this great synthesizer. Not sure whether this has been done in other synthesizers.

Morphing between presets with the modulation wheel.

The synthesizer should offer a possibility to enter two presets (e.g. Bank1 Preset1 and Bank2 Preset7). The synthesizer then enters a special mode, where the modulation wheel has a special function (and all the other controls like cutoff are disabled). When the modulation wheel is all the way down, the sound of the first preset (in the example: Bank1 Preset1) is played. When it is all the way up, the sound of the second preset (in the example: Bank2 Preset7) is played. When it is in the middle, an "interpolated" sound is played. All parameters of that sound are in the middle of the settings that it has for the two chosen presets. For example, if B1P1 has a long decay, and B2P7 a very short one, then the middle position of the modulation wheel would have a medium-length decay. And so on for all parameters.

This could then be used just for playing sounds. Or there could also be a possibility to save the current "mixture".

Magick22

Post by Magick22 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:40 pm

Hey,

Saw these mentioned before and I would also like to see them implemented:

1 shot LFO option, this would be hugely useful for shaping the attack part of a timbre or using the ramp shapes to generate simple envelopes without using up the filter envelope
multiple custom destination assignments for an LFO
ability to assign mod wheel/velocity/aftertouch without using up a mod bus
ability to compare preset values with current knob setting via LCD

Here's another thing I thought of that might be useful that I don't think I saw anyone else mention:

A slew option for the sample and hold source on the mod bus? An alternate option which would be equally useful would be able to filter the white noise source in the programmable source menu.

Other than that, loving this synth!

stfngrg

Post by stfngrg » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:45 am

I got this idea from a possible typo in the manual (PAGE 44)... Two of the programable destinations for the LFOs are called "MOD1PDST" and "MOD2PDST" and the are described in the manual as "Mod Bus 1 Programmable destination" and "Mod Bus 2 Programmable destination". Correct me if I am wrong, but are those descriptions suppose to read " Mod Bus 1 Pitch Destination" and "Mod Bus 2 Pitch Destination"? I'm assuming this because the "MOD1PDST" and "MOD2PDST" features on my Sub 37 are just changing the LFO pitch destination from OSC1, OSC2, and both.

Anyways...It would be cool (but perhaps useless) to use one LFO to modulate through all of the programmable destinations of the other LFO that are listed on page 44 of the manual. I would imagine that it would make the synth have some random hiccups.

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:03 pm

+1 For sequence chaining!

+4 For more LCD display feedback on parameters and values!

deanross

Post by deanross » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:52 am

I wonder if it would be possible to have an option to switch the SUB 1 waveform on the Sub 37 from a square to a sine wave (on a per patch basis?) Would be great for certain types of bass sounds etc.
DKR

ChiLam

Post by ChiLam » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:12 pm

deanross wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to have an option to switch the SUB 1 waveform on the Sub 37 from a square to a sine wave (on a per patch basis?) Would be great for certain types of bass sounds etc.
Agreed! Would be nice to be able to switch it between -1 and -2 octaves below the OSC1 also.

Science

Post by Science » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:47 pm

you should be able to preview a value without editing it. hold a modifier button and then turn a knob the current value would be displayed in the LCD but the value not changed.
Current setup: 2 Prophet 08 Modules, Analog 4, Slim Phatty, Blofeld, FA-08, Pulse 2, Sub 37