Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
Corgy

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by Corgy » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:54 am

Maikan wrote: That's odd (but ultimately good news), because i seeming can't switch between presets/patches without having some kind of issue.
Do you encounter latency problems when synched with a DAW? When i synch to Protools with the Sub 37 receiving clock and the sequencer of the sub 37 putting out midi back into protools, i find that the midi data arrives significantly later than it should/later than the audio. My midi setup is a bit convoluted (connecting 7 synths and a DAW) and involves a lot of cable length and a MIDI signal splitter, could the cables themselves be the issue? Is there a way to compensate for this lag in protools (i'm running PT 10 and/or 11)?
We should move this post to another thread, because it's growing more and more off topic to this thread ... ;)

My setup is a hardware-only thing. Midi-clock is generated by my workstation or alternatively by my Octatrack and fed into the midi-network. All hardware is connected via the traditional 5 pole cables. I use a midi-patch bay and this makes the midi-network to be a "star-like" layout - one master in, many slaves out. I don't use midi-in to midi-through chains. I switch the Sub37 patches directly at the Sub37 panel.

As you mentioned already, it's a well known fact, that too long cabling can cause issues, but bad electrical contacts, and too long midi-chains also. Decent midi-splitter and midi-merger should work fine, when used properly.

To find the culprit in your setup, you might want to isolate the Sub37 and connect it to your computer directly, or alternatevly, to an external hardware midi-clock-master. Workstations and some synths can be used to supply the midi-clock. If your hardware works fine, then you should check your midi-network and your midi-settings in protools. I don't have protools myself, but my two DAWs in use have latency compensation properties to be changed in the setup-dialog and I think that protools has this feature too.

klfnk

Post by klfnk » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:19 am

Hi Maikan,
You're right it's not explained in the video, my mistake. But I have seen it somewhere, will post that if i find it again.
In the meantime, this is what the manual (Sub_37_Web_Manual_8_13.pdf) says on page 17:
During playback, if you hold down two notes, all of the recorded duo notes will play back normally. Any single recorded notes, however, will follow your two keys as dictated by KB CTRL settings. This allows you to play real-time pitches along with a step sequence any time there is only one note recorded in a step.

Hope it helps
Moog Sub 37
Ableton Live 8.latest
Pro Tools 12 HD12.latest
RME Fireface UC
15" MacBook Pro Retina 2015 Yosemite

SilentNotes

Post by SilentNotes » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:41 pm

Is it possible to save midi settings per preset? If not, could this be implemented?

bpstudio

Post by bpstudio » Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:26 pm

A little but maybe useful thing: when I save a patch to preset memory, it would be good to know if it is already used or not (maybe a yes/no dialog or at least to display the name of the slot where I want to save before saving).

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:13 pm

bpstudio wrote:A little but maybe useful thing: when I save a patch to preset memory, it would be good to know if it is already used or not (maybe a yes/no dialog or at least to display the name of the slot where I want to save before saving).
+1000, absolutely. Doing very often a new patch on the fly and then ask myself, where to save it ???

arjanhoekstra

Post by arjanhoekstra » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Corgy wrote:
bpstudio wrote:A little but maybe useful thing: when I save a patch to preset memory, it would be good to know if it is already used or not (maybe a yes/no dialog or at least to display the name of the slot where I want to save before saving).
+1000, absolutely. Doing very often a new patch on the fly and then ask myself, where to save it ???
Hit compare after you have named your preset, pick any slot you like..

SilentNotes

Post by SilentNotes » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:37 am

When selecting a Program Destination for a Modulation, it would be cool if you could just hold the Cursor button (or any other button that can behave like a Shift function) and turn a knob or press a button you want to modulate.
Maybe you don't have to hold any button at all, just press Cursor to go into PGM DST category and just turn a knob or press a button you want to modulate and it should be recognized.
Maybe this is obvious, but while you are selecting the desired knob or button, the chosen parameter shouldn't change value.

mattyp

Post by mattyp » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:06 am

The ability to use osc 2 as an LFO in mod sources. This would allow a much higher audio rate LFO
Moog Sub 37, DSI Mopho KB, Korg ms20 mini, Korg M50, Korg Karma, Yamaha Motif Xf6, Yamaha DX7, Novation K Station, Waldorf Blofeld, Siel DK80, cyclone analogic tt 303

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:16 pm

SilentNotes wrote:When selecting a Program Destination for a Modulation, it would be cool if you could just hold the Cursor button (or any other button that can behave like a Shift function) and turn a knob or press a button you want to modulate.
Maybe you don't have to hold any button at all, just press Cursor to go into PGM DST category and just turn a knob or press a button you want to modulate and it should be recognized.
+1 -- scrolling that huge list of destinations is certainly no fun!

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

zaiusz

Post by zaiusz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:12 pm

So far I would like to see implemented:

1. Multiple CUSTOM destinations for MODs. I get bored easy with only 1 custom mod on each LFO. Maybe I was spoiled with the Virus but it was its strongest feature and made sound design limitless.

2. While in dual arpeggiator mode the ability to select which oscillator is arpeggiated instead of the default OSC 1. For example, when you enter dual mode it is always OSC 2 that is unlatched from the arpeggiator and you can only either make it repeat the same note lower or higher than the arpeggiated OSC 1. It would make much more sense to have the ability to assign OSC 1 to do this since the sub osc is more suitable for bass duties while OSC 2 could arpeggiate.

3. An option in dual mode for note 'hold memory' ie. when playing two notes together letting go of one will hold the note after letting go. Anyone familiar with the CS40M will know how great this is.

4. Modulating tempo if EXT SYNC is active. I could only get this to work if EXT SYNC was off. An almost useless feature unless it can sync to ext clock.

Otherwise this synth is one of the greatest things i've seen in recent years and is a lot of fun!

klfnk

Post by klfnk » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:14 am

SilentNotes wrote:When selecting a Program Destination for a Modulation, it would be cool if you could just hold the Cursor button (or any other button that can behave like a Shift function) and turn a knob or press a button you want to modulate.
Maybe this is obvious, but while you are selecting the desired knob or button, the chosen parameter shouldn't change value.
+1!
zaiusz wrote: 1. Multiple CUSTOM destinations for MODs. I get bored easy with only 1 custom mod on each LFO. Maybe I was spoiled with the Virus but it was its strongest feature and made sound design limitless.
Definitely something I'd like to see happening :) But which knob would influence the negative or positive value/effect on the Modulation Destination? Tune maybe?
Moog Sub 37
Ableton Live 8.latest
Pro Tools 12 HD12.latest
RME Fireface UC
15" MacBook Pro Retina 2015 Yosemite

aroom

Post by aroom » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:25 pm

Would be great to be able to copy a sequence only - no patch, from a preset to another.

bujo

Post by bujo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:45 pm

I just noticed that in Global menu > Seq Options if I set KBD reset ON it doesn't behave as explained in the manual. Instead of "restarting the sequence from the first note every time I press a new key", it actually just restart the rate of the arp/seq . In other words it "restart the internal clock" if I can say it that way... But this is only when I'm NOT latch on! When the latch is ON this option seems to have no effect at all on the arp/seq behaviour. Isn't that weird?

fwilleke

Post by fwilleke » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:40 am

bujo wrote:I just noticed that in Global menu > Seq Options if I set KBD reset ON it doesn't behave as explained in the manual. Instead of "restarting the sequence from the first note every time I press a new key", it actually just restart the rate of the arp/seq . In other words it "restart the internal clock" if I can say it that way... But this is only when I'm NOT latch on! When the latch is ON this option seems to have no effect at all on the arp/seq behaviour. Isn't that weird?
Sounds more like something for the firmware bugs thread than a feature suggestion ;-)

However, I'm totally pro "show knob values in display"!
___
Sub 37 Cookbook
My Website
Gear List
Me on Instagram

15" late 2013 MacBook Pro
Mac OS X El Capitan 10.11.3

stewdio

Post by stewdio » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:05 am

This and multiple mod destinations are by far and away the two things that would elevate my already excellent Sub37 experience
instagram.com/stew_crookes
stewcrookes.com

~ all meters ~ all red ~ all the time ~