Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
Amos

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by Amos » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:35 pm

BorisYeltsin wrote:WISH LIST FOR SUB 37 FIRMWARE UPDATES:

- When saving patches, I cannot see if the bank/preset saving to already contains a patch. So there's an risk of unwanted overwriting of an existing patch. Is this possible to sort out in a future firmware update?
You can already press COMPARE in the middle of the save operation, to scout around for an empty/expendable save location. If you first press SAVE and then COMPARE, the sound you want to save is buffered while you are comparing, so when you exit COMPARE you can finish saving your sound and it will be in the same state you wanted to save before entering COMPARE.
BorisYeltsin wrote:- Make possible so that BPM and time signature (4/4 etc) shows on screen? Maybe showing for a few seconds when turning the BPM-knob?

- Don't know if this is doable at all, but: The possibility to turn of all the little lights and the screen-light? For me, there are certain settings where this can be useful.

:D
Yes, we are planning to implement a parameter display on the LCD, so you can see precise values for BPM and other parameters.

It's not possible to turn the LCD backlight on and off via firmware, and it isn't practical to turn off all the panel LEDs. Sorry about that!

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:42 pm

Amos wrote:Yes, we are planning to implement a parameter display on the LCD, so you can see precise values for BPM and other parameters.
Yay, that would be wonderful! Please consider showing currently stored parameter value along with the one from the editing buffer. That would make it much easier to restore the stored patch settings on the panel, and help to see how the patches are actually programmed.

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

Rene K

Post by Rene K » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:08 pm

Amos wrote: Yes, we are planning to implement a parameter display on the LCD, so you can see precise values for BPM and other parameters.
Fantastic :D :D because i need that, to put my presets back to the Panel.

BorisYeltsin

Post by BorisYeltsin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:19 pm

Amos wrote: If you first press SAVE and then COMPARE, the sound you want to save is buffered while you are comparing, so when you exit COMPARE you can finish saving your sound and it will be in the same state you wanted to save before entering COMPARE.

Yes, we are planning to implement a parameter display on the LCD, so you can see precise values for BPM and other parameters.

It's not possible to turn the LCD backlight on and off via firmware, and it isn't practical to turn off all the panel LEDs. Sorry about that!
Thanks! I'll try the COMPARE/SAVE function.

Very good if it'll be possible to see precise values for all parameters. Before buying the 37 I tried the Voyager, and the latter showed all values on screen when turning knobs, so I miss this on the 37 as it really adds something to the hands on experience these instruments provide. :D

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:53 pm

Amos wrote:
My Prophet 08 shows the current and stored value when changing anything. It is a very useful feature. How long until something like this is implemented?
Cheers :-)

Poptones

Post by Poptones » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:30 am

Is it still planned to use the preset buttons in conjunction with the sequencer, i.e. as button per step?
Beta Test Info:
macOS 10.12.6 | Ableton Live Suite 10 | plug-in format: AU | current Moog gear: MF-104M Analog Delay, Minitaur, Sub 37 Tribute Edition

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:49 am

One dedicated LED indicating "saved patch value" for knobs ...

... this allows tweaking a knob and recognizing that it is in the saved patch position again. I have that on my Virus and it is very handy, if I tweak live and don't want or can't afford to switch forward-backward a patch to restore the saved patch settings.

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:04 am

Corgy wrote:One dedicated LED indicating "saved patch value" for knobs ...

... this allows tweaking a knob and recognizing that it is in the saved patch position again. I have that on my Virus and it is very handy, if I tweak live and don't want or can't afford to switch forward-backward a patch to restore the saved patch settings.
It has a screen so there is no reason not to show the current value and the stored value so you can instantly know what to restore the setting to.

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:02 am

vinnyburns wrote:

It has a screen so there is no reason not to show the current value and the stored value so you can instantly know what to restore the setting to.
A LED beeing "on" or "off" can be watched in the field of view without directly looking at it. It is much easier than "reading" a display.

For a number there is
1) reading (you have to concentrate and look straight to the display)
2) comparing to the stored value
3) judging how much you have to turn the knob to get to the stored value

This would be much too inconvenient for live playing and reacting quickly.

I would prefer more of a cockpit like approach - light is On/OFF - and you know instantly - without focusing or thinking. :wink:

vinnyburns

Post by vinnyburns » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Corgy wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:

A LED beeing "on" or "off" can be watched in the field of view without directly looking at it. It is much easier than "reading" a display.

For a number there is

I would prefer more of a cockpit like approach - light is On/OFF - and you know instantly - without focusing or thinking. :wink:
And which 'unused' light on the front panel do you suggest is sacrificed for this to happen?
The screen is the logical place for this. It may not suit your specific needs though.

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:15 pm

vinnyburns wrote:
Corgy wrote:
vinnyburns wrote:

For a number there is

And which 'unused' light on the front panel do you suggest is sacrificed for this to happen?
The screen is the logical place for this. It may not suit your specific needs though.
Here is a basic concept to implement this (just a suggestion):

In the center of the panel are the control buttons and LEDs for the KB CTRL. My guess is that few people will change those all the way in a live situation. At least I set-up this with the patch and leave it alone later. How about to use the corresponding LEDs as follows:

1) Fact is, both LEDs are "on/off" exclusively.
2) How about to use the one, which is "off", as an indicator for the stored value ?
3) How about, if this indicator starts flashing if a stored value is found with a knob ? Should not be the same as the "on" LED.

There could also be a General set-up to activate/deactivate this function.

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:23 pm

After some creative time with the Sub 37 I would like to suggest the following:

Having two "INIT" patches available would be handy, why ...

The filter and amp envelopes are set-up in the "INIT" as "not exponential". Changing both to "exponential" generates much more "old school punch" to the sound. I find myself each time to dive into the menu to change this, before starting a new patch from scratch.

I think a "classic-INIT" and a "standard-Init" ... or a "custom-INIT" would be nice to have? I don't like to loose a patch for the "My-Init", as I do now.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:45 pm

Corgy wrote:After some creative time with the Sub 37 I would like to suggest the following:

Having two "INIT" patches available would be handy, why ...

The filter and amp envelopes are set-up in the "INIT" as "not exponential". Changing both to "exponential" generates much more "old school punch" to the sound. I find myself each time to dive into the menu to change this, before starting a new patch from scratch.

I think a "classic-INIT" and a "standard-Init" ... or a "custom-INIT" would be nice to have? I don't like to loose a patch for the "My-Init", as I do now.
Why not just setup a couple of different initialized patches and save them in empty preset slots? It's only a few button presses to load them. It's only a few slots. But if you really have none to spare I suppose it's not a bad idea.

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:46 pm

Bald Eagle wrote: Why not just setup a couple of different initialized patches and save them in empty preset slots? It's only a few button presses to load them. It's only a few slots. But if you really have none to spare I suppose it's not a bad idea.
I think, that's exactly how others and I do it now ... but it costs us some slots and there are only 256.

I was wondering, why Moog choose an analogue synth patch "INIT" to provide linear ADSR instead of the exponential ??? For me exponential ADSR is as much important for analog sounds than having an analoque audio path. I allmost allways choose exponential and sometimes use the recursive modulation method learned from Howard Scarr to get exponential ADSR on digital synths too. It's a complete different universe of punchy sounds.
Last edited by Corgy on Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:52 pm

I have never been satisfied with the INIT patch on any synth. I would be content with even just one customizable one.