Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Everything Sub.
kvitekp

Re: Sub 37 feature suggestions - firmware updates

Post by kvitekp » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:01 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:You pretty much already have KEY HOLD.

Just press LATCH on both the FILTER and AMP EGs and your key is effectively held.
True, but this only works for Sub37 itself, not for the other synths connected to it via MIDI. For me, Sub37 is an excellent controller: keyboard is superb, lot's of knobs to control other synths, covers wide range of settings. I have a little DIY NRPN/CC mapper tool (http://midisizer.com/midibud/) that does it for my other synths.

/Peter
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:07 pm

kvitekp wrote:True, but this only works for Sub37 itself, not for the other synths connected to it via MIDI.
Ah. Then you'll have to do this:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/37030589.jpg
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

HicoMe

Post by HicoMe » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:06 am

_DemonDan_ wrote:
kvitekp wrote:True, but this only works for Sub37 itself, not for the other synths connected to it via MIDI.
Ah. Then you'll have to do this:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/37030589.jpg
YEEESSSSSSS ... Keith 'Maestro' Emerson ... 8) ... He does it with his old Hammond L100, but never seen, that he does this with one of his moogs ... :o ... don't think that he would do it ... maybe only with a Moog Satellite ... :mrgreen:

Regards
Heiko
My current Moogs: Sub 37
My former Moogs: Minimoog Model D, heavily selfmodified Prodigy, Satellite, Etherwave Theremin

namnibor

Post by namnibor » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:13 am

I absolutely *love* the latching/looping envelopes. Perfect for drones and progressive programming of a held sound.

My request is to have more of an auto-update implemented rather than having to send four different files and absolutely do not like Elektron's C6. I truly am afraid I will 'brick' my Sub 37 so have not updated yet because had difficulty with C6 when I spent insane amount of time trying to adapt to the "Elektron Way" and in the end, ended-up hating the incredibly convoluted and non-intuitive user interface of the A4 and even MNM.
Surely there's got to be a way to automate the update process.

Can someone confirm with newer O.S. if we need to move knobs and mod wheel before sending update files as it was explained in earlier updates? Those instructions are no longer with newer O.S. updates and wondering if it's simply assumed that this is still needed or has it changed please?! Thank you.
Been a long time that a new synth has inspired me as much as the Sub 37. SO glad I skipped over the Pro 2.
Sub 37

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:13 am

I recently updated my Sub37 to the latest 1.0.4.0 OS and the process was very smooth and straightforward. There was no knob/mod wheel movement involved or anything else tricky. Just connected Sub37 USB cable to a Windows machine, verified that "Moog Sub 37" port is listed as MIDI OUT port, and sent four .syx files one by one using SendSysex.exe utility. Sub37 display behaved exactly as described in the update instructions.

/Peter
Last edited by kvitekp on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
www.midisizer.com - home of MidiALF MIDI/CV step sequencer, MidiREX MIDI Looper and more synth DIY stuff...

Rufus the Dog

Post by Rufus the Dog » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:24 am

I have to agree with Peter… I use C6 to send the four files in sequence and had no problem at all

Edit : usually with any flash memory based update facility the boot/download program is protected from overwriting so while you might appear to 'brick' the sub37 you should always be able to recover by repeating the download exercise

R.

Marten

Post by Marten » Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:22 am

Agreed. Update process is quite simple and straight forward.
Rufus the Dog wrote:I have to agree with Peter… I use C6 to send the four files in sequence and had no problem at all

Edit : usually with any flash memory based update facility the boot/download program is protected from overwriting so while you might appear to 'brick' the sub37 you should always be able to recover by repeating the download exercise

R.

bujo

Post by bujo » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:52 pm

kvitekp wrote:1. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have single shot LFOs ? This would add AR envelopes useful for those fast pitch transients necessary for brass sounds simulation and lots of other things. Extra entry in CONTROLLERS or PRESET EDIT menu would do it, on/off.
Yes!! Absolutely! Single shot LFOs!

kvitekp

Post by kvitekp » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:12 am

It's a bit unexpected that a currently playing note pitch is changing when the KB OCTAVE button is pressed. Wouldn't it be great to have an option to leave currently playing note as is and change octave only for the notes played _after_ the keyboard octave has been changed. Global or per preset.

/Peter

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:27 pm

It's a bit unexpected that a currently playing note pitch is changing when the KB OCTAVE button is pressed.
I really *LIKE* the way this works and I am bummed that it does not work that way on the Brutes for example. But it's a preference thing and a toggle would be a good feature to have, indeed. Now let's arm wrestle abot what the default should be... :mrgreen:

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:38 pm

kvitekp wrote:It's a bit unexpected that a currently playing note pitch is changing when the KB OCTAVE button is pressed. Wouldn't it be great to have an option to leave currently playing note as is and change octave only for the notes played _after_ the keyboard octave has been changed. Global or per preset.
Hi Peter,

I'm with you on this one.
The current behavior doesn't allow you to do a long Legato Glide from the lowest C (with - 2 OCT) up to the highest C (with + 2 OCT).
Unless, of course, you have a 61 - 88 note MIDI controller.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:20 am

JazzMasta wrote:Here's my wish list so far for firmware updates:

5. Firmware updates should be easier. It’s a whole procedure now, installing third party software and loading a series of sysex files. It should be just an app you download and run while having the instrument connected to USB. Swedish brand Clavia/Nord is a model of how it should be done in this case.
Definitely, please change it. I got nearly a heart attack after having uploaded step one and something crashed the SysEx tool and my PC did no longer operate midi. I got a bad feeling having just killed my new instrument. I rebootet my PC and was happy to see, that the Sub 37 was still online and exepted step two after the interupt. There was the one or the other bead of sweat on my forehead until the final message came that everything was updated well.

BTW: If something goes wrong with an update, is there a fall back solution to be done by us musicians?
I know about some hardware that has to be serviced by the manufacturer after an upgrade fails.

egg

Post by egg » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:07 am

I just upgraded it all last night. Very simple process. I use C6 anyway for my Elektron boxes.
I was a little worried because of all the stories on here but it ran very smoothly.

dancard

Post by dancard » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:12 am

Having MAJOR problems updating Sub37 Firmware. Steps 1-3, it behaves as described in the update instructions, but It always hangs on the step 4 sysex file.

I have tried:
C6 and Sysex Librarian. Both fail at step 4.
2 different USB cables. Both fail at step 4.
2 different firmware versions (1.0.4 and 1.0.6). Both fail at step 4.

When I run step 4, the midi light blinks 3 times and then stays either solid red, or blank. It does not flash red for the duration of the sysex transfer. After the file has completed (according to C6) the Sub 37 does not automatically reboot. Instead, the ARP LED and the MIDI LED both blink in time together, quickly.

I have let the Sub 37 sit for a while after step 4 has supposedly completed, for it to reboot, and it never reboots. The screen is blank, the panel LEDs are ALL on all the time, and the MIDI LED is flashing in time with the ARP LED all the time.

Someone please help! My synth is in a coma.

BorisYeltsin

Post by BorisYeltsin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:05 pm

WISH LIST FOR SUB 37 FIRMWARE UPDATES:

- When saving patches, I cannot see if the bank/preset saving to already contains a patch. So there's an risk of unwanted overwriting of an existing patch. Is this possible to sort out in a future firmware update?

- Make possible so that BPM and time signature (4/4 etc) shows on screen? Maybe showing for a few seconds when turning the BPM-knob?

- Don't know if this is doable at all, but: The possibility to turn of all the little lights and the screen-light? For me, there are certain settings where this can be useful.

:D