Sub 37 freezing - forcing power down restart

Everything Sub.
synthesis4all

Sub 37 freezing - forcing power down restart

Post by synthesis4all » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:40 am

So I've had the Sub 37 about a week now and I love it, but its frozen up on me about 6 times already, and I don't think I'm down with that. :( ... I also created a preset, saved it and every time I go to this particular preset it instantly freezes the Sub 37 forcing a power down restart. Once restarted I can navigate normally, but if I go back to that preset, it freezes again... Every time. Perhaps its the first Sub37 virus preset.. :? or is there something in the settings of this preset overloading the sub 37? Ugg.. I'm going to give it a couple days, but I'm leaning towards a return, though I love this Synth already. I am just not down with it freezing like this...

:cry:

jido-genshi

Re: Sub 37 freezing - forcing power down restart

Post by jido-genshi » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:27 pm

synthesis4all wrote:So I've had the Sub 37 about a week now and I love it, but its frozen up on me about 6 times already, and I don't think I'm down with that. :( ... I also created a preset, saved it and every time I go to this particular preset it instantly freezes the Sub 37 forcing a power down restart. Once restarted I can navigate normally, but if I go back to that preset, it freezes again... Every time. Perhaps its the first Sub37 virus preset.. :? or is there something in the settings of this preset overloading the sub 37? Ugg.. I'm going to give it a couple days, but I'm leaning towards a return, though I love this Synth already. I am just not down with it freezing like this...

:cry:
I mentioned this in another thread; It's possibly a known issue that has been addressed in the forthcoming 1.0.2 Firmware update. Keeping my fingers crossed.

:)

synthesis4all

Post by synthesis4all » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:02 pm

thanks for the reply jido-genshi , I wonder why we're the only one's that have mentioned experiencing this? My Sub 37 is in the upper 300 range serial, not that I think that matters, as this appears to be a software issue with changing or doing something with presets, and hopefully nothing to do with hardware. I can't recall what made it freeze the other times, but this new freeze happening every time on that preset is crazy. :?:
That said, I can't really decide how I feel about this Sub 37 anymore.. I mean, I accepted the left side panel, even though mine shows a little light out the edge, I've accepted the slightly uneven keybed, its not so bad I tell myself, and I actually accepted the first couple of freezes, but now collectively, I am kind of like, well maybe I should save the money and just wait for something else. Though there is nothing out there right now that compares in features and in price in my opinion, so I feel stuck.

:|

tarkington

Post by tarkington » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:13 pm

I'm waiting a good long time (think I'll have to anyway) until the Sub 37 has had it's shake out introduction. Maybe a plastic sided one or even "white" one after the first 2000 are sold.

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:16 pm

synthesis4all wrote:thanks for the reply jido-genshi , I wonder why we're the only one's that have mentioned experiencing this? My Sub 37 is in the upper 300 range serial, not that I think that matters, as this appears to be a software issue with changing or doing something with presets, and hopefully nothing to do with hardware. I can't recall what made it freeze the other times, but this new freeze happening every time on that preset is crazy. :?:
That said, I can't really decide how I feel about this Sub 37 anymore.. I mean, I accepted the left side panel, even though mine shows a little light out the edge, I've accepted the slightly uneven keybed, its not so bad I tell myself, and I actually accepted the first couple of freezes, but now collectively, I am kind of like, well maybe I should save the money and just wait for something else. Though there is nothing out there right now that compares in features and in price in my opinion, so I feel stuck.

:|
I've seen a couple of other people with the same freeze issue. It seems to occur with presets that have sequences as part of the preset. According to Moog support, it's possibly due to when holding a note while switching to a particular preset with a sequence, but in my case it only ever happens on the preset named "Boom Bah" even if I'm not holding a note from the previous preset. It occurs 8 out of 10 times that I go to that preset, and it scares me; such a hard freeze that forces you to turn off and on again the synth. I have never experienced that in any other synth that I can remember (maybe the Prophet 600 a couple of times due to overheating back in the day). So I don't know, hoping the next update fixes it.

As for the left side panel gap, it was so slight that it didn't bother me like I thought it would... and I must have got lucky with the keyboard, as mine is perfectly even. My serial number is in the mid 300s.

synthesis4all

Post by synthesis4all » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:34 pm

I just tested the boom bah preset, using it and switching to the next preset and back causes my sub 37 to freeze every time as well..
:idea:

What all did Moog say about this issue? Are they fixing it?

lushr

Post by lushr » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:33 am

Slightly unrelated I also find that switching presets while you have a key pressed give sun predictable results. Perhaps my expectation is unrealistic, but I'm sure there are other synths which hold the last note unchanged and only the new notes will be the new preset (the old note cutting out as soon as the next note is played).

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:01 pm

synthesis4all wrote:I just tested the boom bah preset, using it and switching to the next preset and back causes my sub 37 to freeze every time as well..
:idea:

What all did Moog say about this issue? Are they fixing it?
Well... and I'm not sure if I am supposed to mention this or not, so Moog Moderators, feel free to edit/delete this post... but their support (which is fantastic by the way) sent me a beta a couple of weeks ago of the forthcoming 1.0.2 Firmware that is supposed to fix the "holding a note while switching to a preset with a sequence" bug, but I don't know if it fixes the Boom Bah freeze, as I am, in all honesty, too afraid to try the beta firmware. So, I'm just waiting for the official firmware release, which I am told should be ready this coming week.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:56 am

synthesis4all wrote:I also created a preset, saved it and every time I go to this particular preset it instantly freezes the Sub 37 forcing a power down restart. Once restarted I can navigate normally, but if I go back to that preset, it freezes again... Every time. :cry:
Hi All,

If there's a preset that's giving you trouble with the current software and, every time you go past that preset the unit locks up, here are two things you can try:

1) Do nothing, but keep a very accurate count of how many times you've locked up going to that preset again: "Now I've locked up 8 times!!!", "Now I've locked up 9 times!!!!", "Now I've locked up 10 times!!!!!" Because it's going to freeze again... Every time.

2) Save that patch via sysex and then replace that preset with something else for now. If it's a factory preset you will always be able to get it back, even if you don't back it up right now. If it's your own preset, save it via sysex, and put something else in its place for now.

When a new software update is released that fixes the problem you can put the preset back.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:09 am

lushr wrote:Perhaps my expectation is unrealistic, but I'm sure there are other synths which hold the last note unchanged and only the new notes will be the new preset...
Hi lushr,

Those "other synths" that continue playing the old note using the old preset's settings while playing a new note using the new preset's settings are called polyphonic synthesizers.

When you change presets on a Sub 37 you are instantly moving all the knobs to the new preset's settings. If there is a note still ringing when you do this you will hear the sound of all those knobs moving to their new positions. Given that there is only one Filter/Amp that everything in the Mixer goes through, there is no possible way to simultaneously play the old preset at the same time as the new preset in this synthesizer.

synthesis4all

Post by synthesis4all » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:35 am

_DemonDan_ its called troubleshooting..

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:07 pm

synthesis4all wrote:_DemonDan_ its called troubleshooting..
Try #2. It will shoot your trouble.

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:23 pm

The new Firmware 1.0.2 update is online. I've installed it and have been testing it pretty thoroughly... and so far so good. No freezes/crashes, even when going to the Boom Bah preset; seems to all be working just fine. :)