Third Osc for Sub 37

Everything Sub.
mmarsh100

Third Osc for Sub 37

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:46 pm

I'm currently modifying my Werkstatt to enable MIDI input (using this http://www.midi-hardware.com/index.php? ... uct=MINICV). The plan is to use it as a third oscillator for my Sub 37 (when it gets here on Thursday!) I've done this with a PAIA FatMan through the external in of my Sub Phatty and the third oscillators really fattens things up :)

jsumners

Re: Third Osc for Sub 37

Post by jsumners » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:09 pm

That's what polychaining is for and is supposed to be added in a later firmware. I look forward to polychaining my Slim Phatty to my Sub 37. I'm sure that's going to be super beefy :)

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:14 pm

You don't need the poly chaining feature just to add a third oscillator for mono. Just midi 2 synths together and route the audio from the second one back into the Sub 37. But I am looking forward to poly chaining the Sub 37 to the Sub P. I'm curious what kind of results can be produced if running the Sub 37 in paraphonic mode when poly chained to the Sub P. Would para/poly even be possible?

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:46 pm

I'm curious what kind of results can be produced if running the Sub 37 in paraphonic mode when poly chained to the Sub P.
Yeah, me too. I think we'll have to wait for updates to both the Sub P and the 37, but it should be interesting. And it is as you said: hook midi to another synth, send that synth's audio out to the ext in of the 37 and mix in. Now we are in Mini territory.

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:06 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:
I'm curious what kind of results can be produced if running the Sub 37 in paraphonic mode when poly chained to the Sub P.
Yeah, me too. I think we'll have to wait for updates to both the Sub P and the 37, but it should be interesting. And it is as you said: hook midi to another synth, send that synth's audio out to the ext in of the 37 and mix in. Now we are in Mini territory.
I like this idea very much.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:41 am

I did this very thing [3rd OSC] when I had my Little Phatty except I used the CV out into a FreqBox (then as you said, back into the audio in).

The answer to Paraphonic mode will depend on how the Midi key assigner is coded; Despite paraphonic mode being acted upon internally (via OSCs), the Sub37 might send each note on the same channel regardless and this would be a bummer as it would yield undesirable (experimental maybe) results.

One of the more interesting things I did with Foogers and a MP-201 multi pedal was to do a two voice form the LP.

Local mode off
Midi out to Midi-Pal
Dispatcher app selected with 2 voices
1st voice back into LP
2nd voice to Multipedal which did Midi->CV for Freqbox on one MP-201 channel
Another MP-201 envelope driving the MF-101

It wasn't perfect because there was no VCA on the 2nd voice so even with fully closed filter, some audio leaked through but it was pretty cool.

At one point, I had a 3 voice going between LP, Taurus III and an OldSchool. Obviously I was subject to the low range of the Taurus and could only select certain waveforms, etc. It was a least common denominator scenario where every step I took in efforts to make the voices sound identical to each other, I had to forgo some synth feature that would otherwise make for a better sound palette but in the end, it worked.

So much to do and so little time... {and money}
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:29 pm

So I modded the Werkstatt over the weekend to add MIDI In and successfully used it as the third oscillator for my 37. It sounds great, REALLY big :) I will do a recording or 2 and post...

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:10 am

i'm hoping that there will be a cv/gate output upgrade for the s37, like there is for the lp.
(hey, those loopable envelopes are crying for cv outs, as is the touch-sensitive kb!)
with a pitch cv output, you could simply use just any modular vco, without needing any additional midi/cv converter.

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:37 am

bartleby wrote:i'm hoping that there will be a cv/gate output upgrade for the s37, like there is for the lp.
(hey, those loopable envelopes are crying for cv outs, as is the touch-sensitive kb!)
with a pitch cv output, you could simply use just any modular vco, without needing any additional midi/cv converter.
From http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 44#p132144:
_DemonDan_ wrote:I've been assured that the SUB 37 will not be able to have CV Outs, either initially, or via an optional factory mod.

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:43 am

@jsumners: oh, i had missed that one. thanks for pointing it out.
bit of a bummer, i must say. my modular was looking forward to being controlled by those loopable egs. :(
guess i'll have to buy it some new module to make up for the disappointment. ;)

monokit

Post by monokit » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:20 am

I am thinking about adding this with an additional 4ms Clock Divider:

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/systemconcrete.shtml

I would use the Sub 37 to play my A4, and the A4 to control that system. :)

lushr

Post by lushr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:48 am

I'd be very interested in using my LP as a third oscillator but I'm afraid I cant follow the technical details of what you're talking about at all.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:00 am

lushr wrote:I'd be very interested in using my LP as a third oscillator but I'm afraid I cant follow the technical details of what you're talking about at all.
To do so, just program a patch in your LP where:
- filter is wide open and not modulated and has no resonance
- envelopes are gate-like, i.e. attack, decay and release at minimum and sustain at maximum

Then, connect:
- Sub 37 MIDI OUT -> LP MIDI IN
- LP audio OUT -> Sub37 audio IN

Set levels, eat warm :)

lushr

Post by lushr » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:51 am

Hmm dead easy then! An init preset in LP should do the trick... Does this mean for each preset you need an equivalent LP preset? For similar sounding oscillators? Or does the sub 37 give control of such parameters?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Uh uh... I'm not using MIDI often enough. I just forgot the Sib37 would control the parameters of the Little Phatty. You don't want that: you want only pitch and note on/off messages to go through (like a CV pitch and GATE couple, if you will).

Ideally, you should filter other MIDI messages than those ones.

Anyone, a better idea?