Sub 37 Modulation Controllers Settings

Everything Sub.
deryldorsett

Sub 37 Modulation Controllers Settings

Post by deryldorsett » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:37 pm

I've being playing with the Sub 37 Modulation Controllers for a few hours now and I'm completely blown away by how much routing control you have. It took me a few minutes to realize how everything works but I love this feature. It gives you 10 sources (Filter EG, Amp EG, Constant On, Sine LFO, Noise LFO, OSC1 PCH, OCS2 PCH, SEQ Note, SEQ Vol, SEQ MOD) that can route to almost all of the front panel controls as the destination. Simple Example: source: Sine Wave and destination: Sub on/off which can create a nice rhythm/pulsing sound. Is anyone else digging into this feature and discovered cool modulation routing? I do realize you can do most of this with automation but I still like that fact it's backed in as a feature.

How to find the setting if you haven't already
1. From either mod 1 or mod 2 tap the CONTROLLERS button
2. In the LCD arrow down the to 5 option "MOD 1 EDIT" then tap CURSOR
3. Set the PGM SRC:
4: Set the PGM DST:

- Deryl

_DemonDan_

Re: Sub 37 Modulation Controllers Settings

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:22 am

deryldorsett wrote:I'm completely blown away by how much routing control you have.
Hi Deryl,
If you go to the MOD 1 CONTROL page (via the CONTROLLERS button) you can then use MOD WHEEL, VELOCITY, AFTERTOUCH, and CNTRL4 AMT to control the total depth of the modulations you have mentioned. (CNTRL4 is currently fixed at CC#2 which is typically Breath Controller.)

One trick I've been enjoying is setting CNTRL4 AMT to 50%. SInce I'm not sending CC#4, the total available depth of that MOD is now reduced by 50%, making it easier to find the "sweet spots" for the PITCH AMT, FILTER AMT, and MOD AMT knobs.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mosaiclive

Post by mosaiclive » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:30 pm

Yeah, the modulation options on the 37 are awesome! I started with a Voyager as my first Moog synth about 12 years ago and have missed the modulation capabilities it provides in all the subsequent Moogs until the Sub 37. I absolutely think this is the best synth they've done since the Voyager and , in a lot of ways, is even better- which is saying something! The Voyager's larger controls, CV options, and old-school design are fantastic but the 37 is so loaded with cool features like the new Envelope controls(looping, reset, etc.), the sequencer, arp, etc. that I've been pretty blown away by it. I'm not sure the last time I've been this impressed with a new synth- probably since I got my Voyager!

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:39 pm

mosaiclive wrote:The Voyager's larger controls, CV options, and old-school design are fantastic but the 37 is so loaded with cool features like the new Envelope controls(looping, reset, etc.), the sequencer, arp, etc. that I've been pretty blown away by it.
I know... It has been an astounding spring/summer getting to know the Sub 37, watching it continuously grow in power and features as the Moog geniuses keep tweaking it, especially knowing that there are even more features to come for it.

I'm looking forward to seeing what people do with the Sub 37 that wasn't even imagined. Giving almost every knob and button a dedicated CC# blows this thing wide open!
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

monokit

Post by monokit » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:21 am

If my Sub 37 will ever get delivered to Germany, i am going to hook it up to my Elektron Monomachine...18 LFOs are waiting for their Sub(Master). :mrgreen:

compactrobot

Post by compactrobot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:35 pm

Are the custom modulation routings saved with a patch, or are they global to the synth?

*impatiently wants for full user manual*

mosaiclive

Post by mosaiclive » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:26 pm

They're saved with each patch. :)

Pretty much everything that I wished Moog synths did, this one does! The full-featured front panel Glide section is a great example. It gives you almost modular style control of the Glide controls and all its options without doing any menu diving. It's a good example of how the whole synth is designed. I LOVE the dedicated front panel controls on this synth. When you're creating synth sounds there's no substitute for immediate, direct-access to features and parameters and this synth excels at that!

Easily one of the best synths I've used in a very long time, if not ever.