Sub 37 - Questions

Everything Sub.
jido-genshi

Re: Sub 37 - Questions

Post by jido-genshi » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:25 am

jsumners wrote:
jido-genshi wrote:So, has anyone else experienced any bugs yet? I have one major, 80% crash when I call up the patch "Boom Bah" (bank 3, patch 13). Almost every time I go to it, it plays one single note continuously and all the lights light up and you can't do anything at all; can't play other notes, can't switch to another patch, can't change the sound, nothing. The only recourse is turning off the synth and turning it back on. Only in two out of ten instances did it play the sequenced patch properly.

I've had the synth lock up a couple of other times with patches that have low bass and sequences programmed in them, but I was able to just switch to a different patch, but with Boom Bah, it seems to lock up the entire synth. Very strange...

My mid-300s serial numbered Sub 37 did arrive with Firmware 1.0.1 on it. Hopefully this is a known issue already addressed in the forthcoming 1.0.2 update? (I did contact Moog Tech Support and got an immediate response. They're going to see if they can replicate the bug.)
Just tried it and Boom Bah played perfectly.
Trying going to Boom Bah from a patch that has a sequence programmed into it, maybe while holding a note; that seems to be when it gets locked up. But Moog is already on it! That issue has been addressed in the forthcoming 1.0.2 Firmware update from what I understand. :)

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Cool.

compactrobot

Post by compactrobot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:47 am

I'm having trouble syncing the MOD rate to the incoming MIDI clock.

First, can the MOD rate sync directly to the MIDI clock, or is it only synced to the ARP/SEQ, which in turn is synced to MIDI?

I've got a signal coming from a MIDI drum machine, and the SYNC light for MOD 1 is enabled, but it doesn't seem to be syncing. Turning the rate knob does change the rate, though. Previously in this thread, someone mentioned that the clock divisions for MOD syncing were in the PRESET menu with the sequencer and envelope clock divisions, but the manual indicates this is actually done with the MOD rate knob when in SYNC mode. I can't see what current division I'm at, though, since nothing is displayed on the LCD when turning the knob. Is it possible it is synced, but I'm having trouble finding the correct division, and keep landing on a dotted or triplet setting?

I should add that I had no issue syncing the drum machine to the sequencer. I'm only having this problem trying to directly sync the MOD rate.

compactrobot

Post by compactrobot » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:54 am

Is there any current method for automatically modulating the filter cutoff in sync with and over the duration of a programmed sequence? In other words, I'd like to have MOD 1 modulating he filter cutoff, with the rate of MOD 1 in sync with the start/end points of the sequence, such that the filter sweeps once per sequence loop.

I think I'd need a MOD controller source that does't currently exist, but I thought I'd ask.

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:10 am

compactrobot wrote:First, can the MOD rate sync directly to the MIDI clock, or is it only synced to the ARP/SEQ, which in turn is synced to MIDI?
The LFOs always sync to whatever clock source the ARP/SEQ is using (which is the "master clock source" for the Sub 37)... you can have the Arp OFF, of course, but if you want the LFOs to sync to incoming MIDI you still need to have the SYNC button turned on in the Arpeggiator section.
compactrobot wrote:Is there any current method for automatically modulating the filter cutoff in sync with and over the duration of a programmed sequence? In other words, I'd like to have MOD 1 modulating he filter cutoff, with the rate of MOD 1 in sync with the start/end points of the sequence, such that the filter sweeps once per sequence loop.
You should be able to accomplish this by using an LFO with SYNC turned on, and setting the LFO clock div to the same number of beats/bars as your sequence (1, 2, 4 bars maybe). Additionally, you can go to PRESET EDIT -> ARPEGGIATOR and set STEP 1 RESET: ON... then turn on KB RESET for the LFO. This will force the LFO to restart on beat 1 of your sequence. If your LFO Sync clock div is the same number of beats/bars as your sequence, then you don't necessarily need to also do the KB Reset, but if you do, it will ensure that the phase of the LFO is always the same relative to your sequence as well.

0netwo0netwo

Post by 0netwo0netwo » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:41 pm

i may have missed it while reading over the manual, but when i press Sync on the Arpeggiator the Arpeggiation stops. Is this how it is supposed to react or is this a bug?

:wink:

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:55 pm

0netwo0netwo wrote:I may have missed it while reading over the manual but, when I press Sync on the Arpeggiator, the arpeggiation stops.
Is this how it is supposed to react or is this a bug? :wink:
Are you sending the Sub 37 MIDI Clock?

If the SYNC button is lit as to say, "Follow the external MIDI Clock", but you aren't sending it MIDI Clock, then stopping is the correct reaction. :wink:

If you are sending it MIDI Clock, then I'll ask more questions.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

jido-genshi

Post by jido-genshi » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Just curious if there is any word yet on when the 1.0.2 Firmware update will be released?

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:23 pm

jido-genshi wrote:Just curious if there is any word yet on when the 1.0.2 Firmware update will be released?
Should be next week.

Toom

Post by Toom » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Amos wrote:
jido-genshi wrote:Just curious if there is any word yet on when the 1.0.2 Firmware update will be released?
Should be next week.
Is there a Sub 37 editor program in the works? Looking forward to that if it is.

P.S. Sub 37 is my new synthesizer of choice.

XAXAU

Post by XAXAU » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:20 pm

Amos wrote: The LFOs always sync to whatever clock source the ARP/SEQ is using (which is the "master clock source" for the Sub 37)... you can have the Arp OFF, of course, but if you want the LFOs to sync to incoming MIDI you still need to have the SYNC button turned on in the Arpeggiator section.
So having synced LFO´s and sweeping the arpeggiator RATE knob around unsynced won´t work? If so then you should do something about it as it´s a major design flaw. Change the code so that when the arp SYNC button is unlit you can for example double-tap it for synced LFO´s and free/unsynced arp rate. The SYNC button could flash on-off-on-off or something in this mode. For the non-tribute version there should be an extra 2 leds in the arp section (similar to the bottom of the MOD sections) to select "ALL SYNC" or "LFO SYNC".

Remember Amos, I´m not slashing this synth I only wanna help you guys to make it better so that people like myself can enjoy it to it´s fullest extent.

mmidden

Post by mmidden » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:18 pm

MIssing factory presets - I'm not sure what I did but somehow all of the factory presets from Banks 9 - 16 are missing and the screen only says "Init Preset." Is there any way for me to recover those factory presets? And second question, does anyone know what I did so that I can avoid doing it again?

evileye

Post by evileye » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:13 pm

mmidden wrote:MIssing factory presets - I'm not sure what I did but somehow all of the factory presets from Banks 9 - 16 are missing and the screen only says "Init Preset." Is there any way for me to recover those factory presets? And second question, does anyone know what I did so that I can avoid doing it again?
You aren't missing anything. Banks 10 - 16 are empty intentionally, for use for your patches.

You should have presets in Bank 9 - Presets 1 - 6. Presets 7-16 in Bank 9 are also blank.

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:06 pm

mmidden wrote:MIssing factory presets - I'm not sure what I did but somehow all of the factory presets from Banks 9 - 16 are missing
i was actually quite relieved when i found that almost half of the s37's memory slots are filled with init sounds rather than factory presets. i don't like having to erase some presets in order to store my own first creations when getting to know a new synth. it makes me feel i might regret erasing them because i might need them at some later point. that's why i hate it when new synths come preloaded with hundreds and hundreds of presets but no free memory slots for my own sounds.

so instead of feeling that something is missing, just think of those free slots as an encouragement to explore your new synth and come up with some patches of your own. :)

breun

Post by breun » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:36 am

bartleby wrote:i don't like having to erase some presets in order to store my own first creations when getting to know a new synth. it makes me feel i might regret erasing them because i might need them at some later point. that's why i hate it when new synths come preloaded with hundreds and hundreds of presets but no free memory slots for my own sounds.
You can always dump the factory presets from the synth to a computer and load them from there.