Sub 37 - Questions

Everything Sub.
evileye

Re: Sub 37 - Questions

Post by evileye » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:38 am

breun wrote:
bartleby wrote:i don't like having to erase some presets in order to store my own first creations when getting to know a new synth. it makes me feel i might regret erasing them because i might need them at some later point. that's why i hate it when new synths come preloaded with hundreds and hundreds of presets but no free memory slots for my own sounds.
You can always dump the factory presets from the synth to a computer and load them from there.
Except you better understand how that dumping and loading works because many synths will load a dump patch to the same slot it was dumped from, possibly overwriting something you'd like to keep.

As someone who creates a lot of patches, the ideal solution, for me, is a computer based patch librarian. The next best is a receive that allows you to set the target. The Sub37 has a solution that works fairly well, the ability to dump and receive to the working buffer. From there you can save it to the patch location you like.

I agree with the concept of open patch slots when I first purchase a new synth because undoubtedly I'll be creating new patches before I've have a good look at the presets or even figured out how to send/receive SysEx

mmidden

Post by mmidden » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Awesome, thanks for the help and advice everyone. I'll definitely be looking into dumping the presets to a hard drive for backup.

breun

Post by breun » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:41 am

I have a Sub Phatty and with its editor software it's really easy to do this. Of course there are also only 16 presets to manage on the synth. :)

evileye

Post by evileye » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:18 pm

breun wrote:I have a Sub Phatty and with its editor software it's really easy to do this. Of course there are also only 16 presets to manage on the synth. :)
Quit mocking us with your editing software and I promise not to mock you with my oodles of presets. :lol:

The one question I never quite got answered when I created this thread is whether or not there was an editor in development. Many of the retailers still mention this feature but I haven't heard anything about it.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:31 pm

evileye wrote:
breun wrote:Quit mocking us with your editing software and I promise not to mock you with my oodles of presets.
Reminds me of a Winston Churchill joke about him being drunk and her being ugly (Google will find it).

But, someday, the Sub 37 will have an editor (hence the joke reference).
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

Leighzi88

Post by Leighzi88 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:13 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
0netwo0netwo wrote:I may have missed it while reading over the manual but, when I press Sync on the Arpeggiator, the arpeggiation stops.
Is this how it is supposed to react or is this a bug? :wink:
Are you sending the Sub 37 MIDI Clock?

If the SYNC button is lit as to say, "Follow the external MIDI Clock", but you aren't sending it MIDI Clock, then stopping is the correct reaction. :wink:

If you are sending it MIDI Clock, then I'll ask more questions.
I have this exact same problem ... I'm trying to sync the sub 37 with a machinedrum. I first sent the MD to my bass station 2 to establish that it was sending midi clock (which it was). Then I switched the midi cable to the midi in of my sub 37. The sub 37 is receiving midi clock (rate led flashes in time w the MD), but no sound when I press the 'sync' button in the arp section (ie. the arp stops making a sound). I'm using v 1.0. Is this resolved in the updates? I note that one of the fixes was "midi sync". Thanks!

bartleby

Post by bartleby » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:17 pm

this is probably too obvious - but did you press 'play' on the md?
maybe when synced to an external clock, the s37 only plays when it receives a midi start signal?

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:57 pm

bartleby wrote:this is probably too obvious - but did you press 'play' on the md?
maybe when synced to an external clock, the s37 only plays when it receives a midi start signal?
This is correct, if you are in SYNC mode on the Sub 37, it won't actually run the arp until it gets a MIDI Start. This is an intentional feature so that you can stop/start it properly when latched, and so you can set up an arpeggiated chord in silence before pressing Play.

Leighzi88

Post by Leighzi88 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Thanks guys!

Yes, I did have the MD playing at the time. But here's a question - what if I set up an arp while the MD is playing ... do I need to stop the MD and then start it again in order to send a MIDI 'start' message to the sub 37?

In any event, I did an INIT SETTINGS reset of the sub 37 and that helped with the MIDI SYNC issue, although my feeling is that it's still not entirely stable (ie. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). I am hoping to update to 1.0.2 soon, so that may solve the issue. By the way, another elektron user has reported the same issue and said that an 1.0.2 update resolved the problem.

http://www.elektronauts.com/topics/view ... e:11#65063

The sub 37 sounds awesome when synced btw!

Best wishes.

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:40 pm

Leighzi88 wrote:Yes, I did have the MD playing at the time. But here's a question - what if I set up an arp while the MD is playing ... do I need to stop the MD and then start it again in order to send a MIDI 'start' message to the sub 37?
Nope, in the current firmware (1.02 and up) the Sub 37 is always listening for a MIDI start, so you can start your master clock any time and the arp will run in sync if you set it up afterwards. The only thing is if you've never sent a Start, or if you have sent a Stop and not Started again after, under those circumstances the arp/seq will not run while Sync is active.

Leighzi88

Post by Leighzi88 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 pm

Perfect, thanks a lot Amos!

bujo

Post by bujo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:52 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:Plus, if you have PRESET VOL turned ON in the GLOBAL MENU, the preset will also store the current position of the OUTPUT VOLUME knob at the time you pressed SAVE.

Be forewarned: There will be times (at first) when you think the synth has stopped responding to the VOLUME knob and MODULATION wheel. But it will be because you're partway into the SAVE routine and both of those controllers have been frozen until you finish all the SAVE steps (or abort saving).
I understand the "Preset Vol" option (0-100%) in the "preset" menu. But I've never been able to save the "position of the OUTPUT VOLUME knob" even if the "preset vol" is ON in the global menu. :? I tried a lot, turned it off and on again, saving patches at different OUTPUT VOLUME knob positions... It doesn't work for me. But the mod wheel, no problem!

In the same idea, during the SAVE process I can move the output volume knob (as well as the mod wheel) and hear the changes BEFORE I finished the SAVE steps. And both "preset vol" and "preset MWHL" are ON in the global menu.

Anyone in the same situation?

MoogProg

Post by MoogProg » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:18 am

Also slightly confused about how the Sub37 saves the position of the Volume knob within each Preset, and what the 'rules of engagement' are in regard to this parameter. Obviously this feature should be a big help when setting up a live set, and I bought this to be a performance synth in a rock band. Managing levels will be critical to my success using this board live.

Beyond the simple explanation of how it functions, it would also be good to hear any recommendations about best to apply the 0-100% Preset Volume and/or the Volume Knob Position. Seems like they play off each other, and there is probably a best practice to consider (maybe several according to each of our needs).

FWIW: Have twice now taken the Sub37 to band practice, and it sounds huge. Used an EP-3 to create filter-swells and got it filling out the sound like I was a pedal-steel player.

Corgy

Post by Corgy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:12 am

Amos wrote:
bartleby wrote:this is probably too obvious - but did you press 'play' on the md?
This is correct, if you are in SYNC mode on the Sub 37, it won't actually run the arp until it gets a MIDI Start. This is an intentional feature so that you can stop/start it properly when latched, and so you can set up an arpeggiated chord in silence before pressing Play.
Thanks, Amos, for confirmation. Have my little babe since Monday (firmware 1.0.3) and had some problems first to get the MIDI synchronisation running on ARP and SEQ. Somehow I figured it out myself - by chance ... :wink: , but I thought I had missed something.

There are two suggestions for improvement.

1) I did search the manual after having problems and there was no hint to be found about the "play" midi message to be provided. At least I was not successful in the ARP/SEQ section of the book.

It would be good to have something like a bold printed "Attention: ARP/SEQ playing according to external midi clock requires to receive a midi start command to get the ARP/SEQ started.

2) It would be also desirable to have an alternative ARP/SEQ synchronisation mode that does NOT require the start midi command.

Why, in my live setup is not allways an external sequencer or some gear required that can send a midi start command. I have only to provide one midi clock as a master and all ARPs and SEQs are syncronised and work pretty fine.

Since I guess, it's a software issue "only", I would be happy if Moog could implement an alternative sync mode in one of the next firmware updates. Just making an excellent instrument better :D

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:14 am

Corgy wrote:Thanks, Amos, for confirmation. Have my little babe since Monday (firmware 1.0.3) and had some problems first to get the MIDI synchronisation running on ARP and SEQ. Somehow I figured it out myself - by chance ... :wink: , but I thought I had missed something.

There are two suggestions for improvement.

1) I did search the manual after having problems and there was no hint to be found about the "play" midi message to be provided. At least I was not successful in the ARP/SEQ section of the book.

It would be good to have something like a bold printed "Attention: ARP/SEQ playing according to external midi clock requires to receive a midi start command to get the ARP/SEQ started.

2) It would be also desirable to have an alternative ARP/SEQ synchronisation mode that does NOT require the start midi command.

Why, in my live setup is not allways an external sequencer or some gear required that can send a midi start command. I have only to provide one midi clock as a master and all ARPs and SEQs are syncronised and work pretty fine.

Since I guess, it's a software issue "only", I would be happy if Moog could implement an alternative sync mode in one of the next firmware updates. Just making an excellent instrument better :D
V1.0.4 does not require midi start. It will sync automatically.