Moogerfooger's for Sub 37

Everything Sub.
Bald Eagle

Moogerfooger's for Sub 37

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:31 pm

Does anyone have any thoughts about what would be the most useful Moogerfooger's to use with the Sub 37?

simc

Re: Moogerfooger's for Sub 37

Post by simc » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:02 am

Surely a MF-104m.
What analog synth would not benefit from an amazing BB delay?!

furiousgreencloud

Post by furiousgreencloud » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:43 am

Since Sub(37) Phatties, Don't seem to have analogue audio rate Filter or Pitch Modulation, - Metallic Tones are hard to achieve,

A MF-102 Ring Modulator will help you get these, as it produced inharmonic partials.

That said, the Elekron Analog 4 has (digital) chorus, reverb and delays. Which are pretty much the holy trinity of effects. While Dave Smith seems to like adding distortion (Analog Drive &/or Digital Bit Crunch) and Compression to his synths, along with delay.

What sound are you trying to achieve, or just want to get more Moog gear with the same shipping order?

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:54 am

Thanks to all for the good suggestions so far.
furiousgreencloud wrote: What sound are you trying to achieve, or just want to get more Moog gear with the same shipping order?
I'm not going for any specific sound. Just looking for something that will compliment the Sub37. I thought the Moogerfoogers were a good start but I am considering other things as well.

I was also looking at the Analog 4 but not so much for the effects as I have other gear that can provide digital effects.

egg

Post by egg » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:59 am

any effect is a perfect match for a synth if you like the results. Moog synths do not need to be paired with moog to retain quality. If you already have effects you like, use them and see how it sounds.
Last edited by egg on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

radioland

Post by radioland » Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:53 am

I`d definitely recommend the MF-104M as the first Moogerfooger, too. Synths and (analog) delays are a perfect match, and the versatile LFO of the MF-104M gives you tons of different sounds and effects.
The sad thing about the MF-104M and the ClusterFlux (which I ordered as my second MF and is very versatile, too) is that they have no CV-outputs, so you can only affect the sound of the Sub37, but no parameters.
The FreqBox was a huge revelation for me when I first used it with my Sub Phatty. I like mild settings that add some overtones or extra motion, I like its screaming sync- and FM-sounds, I like how you get some sort of volume-envelope-out with it which you can use to control other gear, I like the drones you get when you patch the oscillator out to the Sub Phatty ext. in and the Sub Phatty out to the FreqBox audio in, I like how wild it can get and how it can be used for ambient sounds, ...
I just started to work with the Phaser and love its control over every single parameter, the musical feedback you can get out of it, and of course the stereo movement when you use both outputs.
And then I even use the MF-101 with the Sub Phatty and other Moogerfoogers sometimes, taking advantage of the different filter parameters you can control that you can`t on the Sub Phatty.

So you might ask yourself what you want to achieve soundwise, and if you want CV-outputs to control parameters. In the end your question will most likely not be "which are good Moogerfoogers for the Sub37?" anymore, but "in which order should I buy them?" 8)

Have fun with whatever decision you will make!

Cheers, radioland
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-107 (3), MF-108M, CP-251 (2), EP-2, Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, Fender 50s Precision Bass, EBS Valve Drive, Lehle Sunday Driver, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Stereo Pulsar, TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, Logic Pro X

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:58 am

radioland wrote:So you might ask yourself what you want to achieve soundwise, and if you want CV-outputs to control parameters. In the end your question will most likely not be "which are good Moogerfoogers for the Sub37?" anymore, but "in which order should I buy them?" 8)
Well, I read all of the Moogerfoogers manuals and I think you are right, deciding on the purchase order is now the question. The MF-104M is looking like a good first choice for me.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:01 pm

It is my favourite delay but I cannot help mentionning it's the most easy-to-replace Fooger... is it the first one to get then?

radioland

Post by radioland » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:18 am

Bald Eagle wrote:Well, I read all of the Moogerfoogers manuals and I think you are right, deciding on the purchase order is now the question. The MF-104M is looking like a good first choice for me.
Thats what I did, too, before purchasing the first Moogerfooger. It makes it easier to dig in when the pedals arrive, and can help you make your decision.
stiiiiiiive wrote:It is my favourite delay but I cannot help mentionning it's the most easy-to-replace Fooger... is it the first one to get then?
That`s an interesting thought! Before the MF-104M I had and MXR Carbon Copy, and it sounded great. But the LFO cannot be replaced so easily, I think. I started with the delay because you never know how long these will be made, and I thought it was very rewarding for a beginner, and it can be used in so many situations.

If you want to get more "bang for the buck", you could get yourself a 107 and a 102 for about the same money, or the 105M, and get some not-so-easy-to-replace effects.

I ended up buying a pack of Moogerfoogers from someone on the forum, so the missing pieces I`m saving up for now are the 102 and the 105M. I surely wouldn`t have waited for these two for so long if I bought them one for one, but that`s life 8) . But, on the other hand, I enjoy the FreqBox a lot, which would have ended up as the last one missing...

Cheers, radioland
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-107 (3), MF-108M, CP-251 (2), EP-2, Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute, Fender 50s Precision Bass, EBS Valve Drive, Lehle Sunday Driver, EHX Big Muff Pi, EHX Stereo Pulsar, TC Electronic Trinity Reverb, Logic Pro X

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:47 am

radioland wrote:Before the MF-104M I had and MXR Carbon Copy, and it sounded great. But the LFO cannot be replaced so easily, I think. I started with the delay because you never know how long these will be made, and I thought it was very rewarding for a beginner, and it can be used in so many situations.
That was an open question, and I think your points are relevant: very rewarding, useful in many situations, and you don't know how many BBD are left :)

radioland

Post by radioland » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:07 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:That was an open question, and I think your points are relevant: very rewarding, useful in many situations, and you don't know how many BBD are left
I understood it as such. I hope I didn`t come across like starting a crusade or so :wink: . I just wanted to share my thoughts on the topic, and I really think that your question of wether purchasing the most easy to replace Moogerfooger first is "the best" strategy has to be thought about. Peace :D .

Cheers, radioland

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:28 am

radioland wrote:I hope I didn`t come across like starting a crusade or so
Not at all :)

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:30 pm

The Moogerfooger All-In-One with the MF-107 FreqBox looks like it could be a good start. That along with a Minifooger MF Delay is looking good to save a few dollars.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Reviving this topic now that my Sub 37 and Sub P are happily married. Any suggestions?

I tried using my Line 6 POD/X for effects and although its great for guitar its just not right for the Moog's. I'm thinking the 104M Super Delay is a good start.

DeckardTrinity

Post by DeckardTrinity » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:29 am

MF-104M for sure - that's the only one I have (for now!), and it is stellar. It will definitely color your sound quite a bit, but it is a great, pure analog match with the Sub 37. I will admit that I have mine routed through a digital mixer (X32), but I only do that so I can use it with other synths as well.