Sub Phatty Pitch CV issue with EHX 8 Step Sequencer

Everything Sub.
gushfest

Sub Phatty Pitch CV issue with EHX 8 Step Sequencer

Post by gushfest » Fri May 16, 2014 11:19 am

Hey everyone,
I just picked up an Electro Harmonix 8 Step Sequencer. Works great with the filter CV input but not at all with the pitch CV input. I get one of two results: no change in sound or the Moog is in freak out mode where every note plays the same high pitch frequency. I am using a TS cable as opposed to TRS (as stated in the EHX manual). Any ideas?

Thanks

ricknboogie

Re: Sub Phatty Pitch CV issue with EHX 8 Step Sequencer

Post by ricknboogie » Sat May 17, 2014 9:47 am

The problem is- the sequencer is looking for a signal IN, instead of sending it's out to your Phatty's CV IN. If you had the CV out mod on your Phatty, or, just use the Phatty's MAIN out to the sequencer's IN, then on to wherever your signal is amplified.

jgo

Re: Sub Phatty Pitch CV issue with EHX 8 Step Sequencer

Post by jgo » Sat May 17, 2014 2:28 pm

The 8 step accepts an expression pedal, but it does send cv also. I sort of doubt that the original poster is trying to control the 8 step from the moog via the exp pedal in.

In the case that he is using the cv out of the 8-step to try and control the subphatty's pitch via its pitch in, it seems as if he might have the 'depth' set to too high a value and the sliders pushed up too far. If so, the sequencer may be sending so much voltage (it sends a steady voltage when stopped) that the moog's pitch is adjusted beyond a range that the synth can respond to correctly. For some reason if you send enough cv, the subphatty will even 'wrap around' and play very low notes on high octave key presses.

Or, maybe something else is wrong. But, mine works with the subphatty pitch in the expected way. Too bad about no gate cv on the 8-step, but it's still pretty neat.