Sub 37 updated release date ?

Everything Sub.
monokit

Re: Sub 37 updated release date ?

Post by monokit » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:27 pm

You should see me drooling right now... :P

I plan to intertwine the Sub37 with my two Elektrons. Via CV with the A4 (p-locking CV...Mmmmm) and by Midi with the Monomachine. The Mnm has 18 (!) LFOs i can use to cc-control the Sub37...my personal Midi/CV/Elektron/Moog Modular System!

Dapifer

Post by Dapifer » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:43 pm

:) That's what I'm looking forward to too, only my Elektrons being the Analog Rytm and Octatrack. I think the combination of all 3's sequencers is going to be mindblowing either way

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:52 am

So, here's a crappy video featuring Sub 37 #77 -- http://youtu.be/CcLGSvkogUk

It definitely sounded a lot better in person. I quite like it. It's a whole lot more synth than I've ever had, for sure. It's going to take me a little while to really get into it.

I had some issues figuring out the latching, but I believe I'm getting that figured out. Dialing in a simple arp pattern is very easy (didn't bother with it in the video). I like that it switches so smoothly between arp modes; it's a playable knob.

I sort of wish it had the value indicator LEDs like the Slim Phatty. But once I switched the knobs to pass thru it's not that much of a missed feature. I like the LCD on it. There are two lines for patch names along with a built-in set of categories to "tag" patches with. However, I think it is easier to enter names on the Slim Phatty than it is on the Sub 37. You can use the fine tune knob to quickly move through the characters, but it's still a tad fiddly to advance to the next character and such. I also think the notched rotation on the SP's patch knob gave it a tactile-like response for entering text (as well as the push button for confirmation).

The keys have great action. They're not too stiff (like my MPK49 can be), and not too soft either. All of the knobs are firm, and the dials give satisfying clicks. The wheels move freely and have a nice texture.

Overall, it's great. Definitely a well done synth, and most certainly the best of my small collection. I look forward to expanding my synthesis knowledge with this one.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:05 am

It definitely has a learning curve...
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

monokit

Post by monokit » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:04 am

Thank you jsumners for sharing. Some of the sounds reminded me of Richard Devine... :wink:

abc47

Post by abc47 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:18 am

A Gearslutz user posted an audio demo of the factory sounds on Soundcloud here…
Moog Sub 37 Factory Sounds Audio Demo
https://soundcloud.com/psychlist1972/mo ... ot-musical

monokit

Post by monokit » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:17 am

So sooo juicy! Love it!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:54 am

monokit wrote:So sooo juicy! Love it!
Juicy doesn't BEGIN to describe the sound...I don't even know if there's a single word that CAN be used to describe the sound. It's huge. I can honestly say that it is a suitable replacement for the Little Phatty. I was worried that I'd miss the Little Phatty, but NOPE. Good riddance to good rubbish, as it were... :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:07 am

monokit wrote:Thank you jsumners for sharing. Some of the sounds reminded me of Richard Devine... :wink:
The patches or the tweaks? I'm willing to bet Devine designed more than a couple of the default patches.

scottingham

Post by scottingham » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:54 am

Voltor, what serial did you get? I'm 55 :D

With regards to the learning curve...I'd say that it's actually pretty shallow if you understand synthesizers. With everything at the tip of my fingers I could make adjustments and see what's happening instantly! Glob help you if you have astigmatism and are playing in a dark room though those LEDs are aplenty!! Granted, I still don't have an intuitive feel for the layout yet. The filter ASDR knobs are above the amps, which was opposite on the LP...so that's tripped me up a few times.

I love the 'panel mode' and how easy it is to activate. I have a feeling I'm only going to end up using the memory for sequences not sounds. Thankfully the sequence of the loaded patch is carried over to panel mode.

There are a few oddities and rough edges to the 1.00 operating system. I've outlined them to Moog when I registered it. Certainly nothing major or show stopping.

Bottom line though is that this is the synth I have been dreaming of having since I was a kid! To finally have it is a dream come true.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:39 pm

Serial number 68, here...it's in my signature below this post. :wink: What I meant by learning curve is there are a LOT of features...features I've never had on a synth before. It's going to take some time to figure out how to implement the features in my playing style. :)

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:56 am

scottingham wrote:The filter ASDR knobs are above the amps, which was opposite on the LP...so that's tripped me up a few times.
Phew! At least I'm not the only one. It's backward from the Slim Phatty, too. I guess they're trying to keep us on our toes?

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:05 am

Same here: I have a Little Phatty and playing my friend's SubPahtty, I often get confuse between the thow envelopes. But hey, that means we are familiar enough with the instruments to tweak without really reading labels :) (well, envelopes are easy...)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:15 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Same here: I have a Little Pahtty and playing my friend's SubPahtty, I often get confuse between the thow envelopes. But hey, that means we are familiar enough with the insutrments to tweak without really reading labels :) (well, envelopes are easy...)
Get a modular, then tell me you have a hard time finding the envelopes. :wink:

psynthetic

Post by psynthetic » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Im terrified of getting a modular thing going on.. got a bit of an addictive personality, i'd get myself into trouble.
"Here, try this LFO module, the first one's free" 8)

6 months later.. i'm found dead under a pile of patch cables..

I think i'll stick with performance synths :lol: