Sub 37 updated release date ?

Everything Sub.
Poptones

Re: Sub 37 updated release date ?

Post by Poptones » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks for taking your time and answering my questions!
Beta Test Info:
macOS 10.12.6 | Ableton Live Suite 10 | plug-in format: AU | current Moog gear: MF-104M Analog Delay, Minitaur, Sub 37 Tribute Edition

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:08 pm

Sub 64? You did mean Sub 37, right?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:19 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:Sub 64? You did mean Sub 37, right?
Wow, and I proofread that too. (fixed)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Dammit, Dan, I was hoping for a bigger keyboard!! :P

64, tho, would be a weird beast.

A question for you: at Gear Fest was the Sub 37 you used essentially the same one Amos has been carting around for demos? Not a new production model?

I think I know the answer, but I ask any way :)

Mike

drumlager

Post by drumlager » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:36 am

Oh the agony of Pre-Ordering. I too dropped the cash on 2/6/14 and have been waiting. I find the best method is to just forget about it...then when the box shows up, its like finding 1300 in your jeans after the wash.

Sometimes this works out for the best. Last year I took the jump into modular. Decided on a system by a modular company in Pittsburgh....They had my money tied up for 8 months. The delivery date was pushed back every month. They kept coming out with new modules and other products, but not the one which I dropped serious cash on. They seemed to take pride in knowing that they were back ordered and this was just normal for a modular company. Its like a cool badge they could wear on their army coat "we will string you along for months". The good news is that once I pulled the plug and my money was refunded, I had a nice down payment on a .com system and I am so happy with it. It also only took 2 weeks for .com to build and deliver the system...so it worked out.

Will I pull the plug on the Sub 37 and use that cash for a downpayment on a Pro 2? I am debating....I don't know. I bet there are some others as well who are considering this option. 4 routable cv outs....mmmmm. Like the previous poster said...just be honest and let us know the progress if you can. If not, thats cool too. I personally tend to get annoyed when I am told one thing, then multiple times, this thing does not happen.

I did get to see the 37 at Gearfest....it is a thing of beauty. I only wish the power had not gone out so I could of tinkered.

Lets get those KE Modulars, Super Delays and Werkstatt out so we can see that glorious twitter pic of 5 or 6 Sub 37's on the work bench.

Im a fan and realize that if theres a delay, there is little chance they will release a dud..I hope? This message is sent with Peace and Love...Peace and Love!

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:26 pm

drumlager wrote:Oh the agony of Pre-Ordering. I too dropped the cash on 2/6/14 and have been waiting. I find the best method is to just forget about it...then when the box shows up, its like finding 1300 in your jeans after the wash.

Sometimes this works out for the best. Last year I took the jump into modular. Decided on a system by a modular company in Pittsburgh....They had my money tied up for 8 months. The delivery date was pushed back every month. They kept coming out with new modules and other products, but not the one which I dropped serious cash on. They seemed to take pride in knowing that they were back ordered and this was just normal for a modular company. Its like a cool badge they could wear on their army coat "we will string you along for months". The good news is that once I pulled the plug and my money was refunded, I had a nice down payment on a .com system and I am so happy with it. It also only took 2 weeks for .com to build and deliver the system...so it worked out.

Will I pull the plug on the Sub 37 and use that cash for a downpayment on a Pro 2? I am debating....I don't know. I bet there are some others as well who are considering this option. 4 routable cv outs....mmmmm. Like the previous poster said...just be honest and let us know the progress if you can. If not, thats cool too. I personally tend to get annoyed when I am told one thing, then multiple times, this thing does not happen.

I did get to see the 37 at Gearfest....it is a thing of beauty. I only wish the power had not gone out so I could of tinkered.

Lets get those KE Modulars, Super Delays and Werkstatt out so we can see that glorious twitter pic of 5 or 6 Sub 37's on the work bench.

Im a fan and realize that if theres a delay, there is little chance they will release a dud..I hope? This message is sent with Peace and Love...Peace and Love!
Aside from being a monosynth, with 4 note paraphonic ability, I don't see the Pro 2 as an equal replacement for the Sub 37 (or the Sub 37 a replacement for the Pro 2). I think it's pretty clear in all of the information available about the two that they are very, very, different. So my money is staying committed to the Sub 37 and the Pro 2 on the "I would very much like one" list.

That said, I would definitely like some CV _out_ on the Sub 37. I don't (yet) have any CV out capability, so the CV in is rather useless to me. It'd be nice if the Sub 37 would fix that for me :-/

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:30 pm

jsumners wrote:I would definitely like some CV _OUT_ on the Sub 37. I don't (yet) have any CV out capability, so the CV in is rather useless to me.
It'd be nice if the Sub 37 would fix that for me :-/
Hi jsumners,

I've been assured that the SUB 37 will not be able to have CV Outs, either initially, or via an optional factory mod.

But, although you might think that CV In is rather useless without dedicated CV Out devices, at least consider the possibilities that TRS Continuous Controller Pedals can offer. Or build a simple foot switch with a potentiometer onto a TRS cable such that you can step on a switch and get a burst of an exact value. You can also try other input sources as long as the voltages don't exceed Moog's standards.

At a minimum, a TRS CC Pedal to Filter Cutoff or Volume is quite musically useful.

A TS Footswitch (Polarity = Normally Closed) plugged into the KB GATE CV In allows you to manually trigger the Envelopes rhythmically.

Photo Resistors can be used to create a synth that responds to light, etc.

jsumners

Post by jsumners » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:49 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
jsumners wrote:I would definitely like some CV _OUT_ on the Sub 37. I don't (yet) have any CV out capability, so the CV in is rather useless to me.
It'd be nice if the Sub 37 would fix that for me :-/
Hi jsumners,

I've been assured that the SUB 37 will not be able to have CV Outs, either initially, or via an optional factory mod.

But, although you might think that CV In is rather useless without dedicated CV Out devices, at least consider the possibilities that TRS Continuous Controller Pedals can offer. Or build a simple foot switch with a potentiometer onto a TRS cable such that you can step on a switch and get a burst of an exact value. You can also try other input sources as long as the voltages don't exceed Moog's standards.

At a minimum, a TRS CC Pedal to Filter Cutoff or Volume is quite musically useful.

A TS Footswitch (Polarity = Normally Closed) plugged into the KB GATE CV In allows you to manually trigger the Envelopes rhythmically.

Photo Resistors can be used to create a synth that responds to light, etc.
I literally meant "to me." I don't have anything to plug into them; no pedals or anything like that. So the CV in on my Slim Phatty, and when it arrives Sub 37, are an area of the synth I can't use. I think I'll pick up a CP-251 at some point, though. I was just saying it would have been nice if the Sub 37 would have added outs so that I could interface it to my Slim Phatty via CV.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:11 pm

So for CV Out if required, I use several MIDI-To-CV solutions in conjunction with my Sub Phatty:
  • MIDI to my DAW then out to a Mutable Instruments CV Pal - some latency but useable
  • MIDI to Kenton MIDI-To-CV - works great
  • In the big studio, MIDI to MOTM-650 MIDI-To-CV module - AWESOME
  • Then there is MIDI to Mini/MicroBrute using the Brutes' CV outs :)
*EDITTED* for formatting

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:15 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:So for CV Out if required, I use several MIDI-To-CV solutions in conjunction with my Sub Phatty:
  • MIDI to my DAW then out to a Mutable Instruments CV Pal - some latency but useable
  • MIDI to Kenton MIDI-To-CV - works great
  • In the big studio, MIDI to MOTM-650 MIDI-To-CV module - AWESOME
  • Then there is MIDI to Mini/MicroBrute using the Brutes' CV outs :)
Hi All,

I can think of some but, for my own education, can you share some of your own "real-world" situations where the MIDI Out of (any) Phatty to the MIDI In of a Slim Phatty is just not as good as MIDI Out to a MIDI -> CV Convertor to the CV In of a Slim Phatty?

So... to rephrase. Assuming you had full 14-bit MIDI capability (notes, knobs, buttons) on both units, give me examples where converting from MIDI -> CV Out is a better way to go.

I can think of some theoretical ones but, I'm specifically looking for examples that people are regularly using.

Thanks!

synthesis4all

Post by synthesis4all » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:37 am

Not to be a gossip queen but I personally spoke with a certain someone very close to this product at Moogfest, he or she said that Moog was having trouble getting particular parts for the Sub37 and that they didn't need to market the sub37 at the fest because they couldn't keep up with the demand already...

After seeing Sweetwater's update to mid August shipping, I'm betting no one will be seeing the Sub37 until Sept. at the earliest, for the earliest pre-orders...

I ordered from Musicians friend and they have stated June 27th, but I'm sure they haven't updated yet...
happy waiting to all.

:|

JemenJ

Post by JemenJ » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:24 am

This waiting/unknowing is very annoying!
Why cant they just give us a date? Reason why it's late? SOMETHING?!
This is bulluying your customers. I have a 1,5k€ laying on my retailers accounts for what?
I'm so close to pulling the trigger for gettin Analog Rytm or DSI Pro 2.

So get your act together MOOG, give us some offical info, eh?

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:31 am

synthesis4all wrote:After seeing Sweetwater's update to mid August shipping, I'm betting no one will be seeing the Sub37 until Sept. at the earliest, for the earliest pre-orders...
That sucks. :( I didn't even notice that. My pre-order from Sweetwater was scheduled for around September. Now I don't expect to see it before November, maybe not even this year at this rate. I really want this but I need to start looking at alternatives at this point. I think a lot of people will be giving the DSI Pro 2 a serious look as an alternative assuming they ship on time. The good thing with Sweetwater is a pre-order doesn't cost anything and can be canceled at any time.

Why is it that so many companies pre-announce products so far out these days? Yeah, I know it's to lock your spending plans in with them but it's getting ridiculous.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi All,

I can think of some but, for my own education, can you share some of your own "real-world" situations where the MIDI Out of (any) Phatty to the MIDI In of a Slim Phatty is just not as good as MIDI Out to a MIDI -> CV Convertor to the CV In of a Slim Phatty?

So... to rephrase. Assuming you had full 14-bit MIDI capability (notes, knobs, buttons) on both units, give me examples where converting from MIDI -> CV Out is a better way to go.

I can think of some theoretical ones but, I'm specifically looking for examples that people are regularly using.

Thanks!
Hey Dan -

So the scenarios that I posted were for getting Sub CV out to a modular for example. I usually use MIDI to interconnect the synths that have it.

Mike

synthesis4all

Post by synthesis4all » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:58 am

Musicians friend updated their ship date to 07-07-2014, but I'm sure nothing will ship then, just like nothing shipped today, which it was supposed to... and I got this email from Sweetwater

"Cory,

Melissa here, Jake is out today. There are several pre-orders for the Sub37, we should see initial shipments in late August - mid September.

Regards,

Melissa McKay
Sales Assistant"

Looks like its going to be a longer wait....

:shock: