Amos Is it Safe to Update Sub Phatty Bootloader...

Everything Sub.
OgamiZ

Amos Is it Safe to Update Sub Phatty Bootloader...

Post by OgamiZ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:12 am

If you were one of the owners who updated with the previous beta transitional boot loader update?

I'm referring to this email:
Beta testers who ran the bootlader-updater a couple of weeks ago are in fact using a transitional version of the bootloader, which is identical to the final release version except for a single vulnerability, which we discovered by accidentally sending the bootloader-updater twice in a row. This caused the bootloader to lock up. So, don’t repeat our experiment.

We will need to create a new updated bootloader-updated especially for the beta testers… I will send out another email when this happens, with a link and instructions for the update.
I don't want to take the chance & update incase something, screws up.
Image ImageImage

till

Re: Amos Is it Safe to Update Sub Phatty Bootloader...

Post by till » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:38 am

Good to know.

Amos, what to do?
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:17 pm

You DO NOT NEED to update the bootloader. You SHOULD NOT update the bootloader. Just send the main firmware update, don't fool with any bootloader updates.

The only people who should update the bootloader are people who have the first Sub Phatty synths, and have never updated to OS v2 yet (still on OS v1).

If you're on OS v2 already, you don't need to update the bootloader. Simple as that.
If you were a beta tester, then you're on OS v2 :)

also, per my original email to beta testers, it is NOT safe to run the bootloader-updater a second time... it will lock up your Sub Phatty. I think this has already happened to a couple of beta testers who did not get my warning, or who forgot... please don't be that guy. I'm sorry for creating the room for error in the first place; it won't happen again.

OgamiZ

Post by OgamiZ » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:53 pm

Amos wrote: If you're on OS v2 already, you don't need to update the bootloader. Simple as that.
If you were a beta tester, then you're on OS v2 :)

also, per my original email to beta testers, it is NOT safe to run the bootloader-updater a second time... it will lock up your Sub Phatty. I think this has already happened to a couple of beta testers who did not get my warning, or who forgot... please don't be that guy. I'm sorry for creating the room for error in the first place; it won't happen again.
OK got it, just send the firmware update. So is there still a new boot loader update coming for the v2 bootloader beta testers as stated in the email we received? If not will this affect the beta testers ability to update if there's firmware coming that requires a bootloader update first?
Image ImageImage

breun

Post by breun » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:55 pm

I already updated the bootloader to v2 with the previous firmware release, as my Sub Phatty is running firmware 2.0.1.

I followed the update instructions before I found this post, which told me to run the bootloader update (again) and update to version 2.0.3 of the firmware. Running the bootloader update again apparently did not 'lock up' my Sub Phatty as far as I can tell, since it's still working, but the latest version of the Sub Phatty Editor (1.1.0) is reporting my Sub Phatty is still on version 2.0.1 of the firmware, so apparently the 2.0.3 update didn't go through.

What are the exact steps to update to the 2.0.3 firmware for a synth running version 2.0.1?

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:28 am

breun wrote:What are the exact steps to update to the 2.0.3 firmware for a synth running version 2.0.1?
1) put the unit in bootloader mode (hold "pitch amt osc2 only" and "hard sync" buttons, press "activate panel" button twice)

2) send the 2.0.3 firmware sysex from your computer to the synth, using any sysex-sending software and preferably the Phatty's own USB connection, but any properly-working MIDI interface should do OK as well

that's it

OgamiZ

Post by OgamiZ » Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:49 pm

I updated the Firmware today & it went without a hitch. Still wouldn't mind finding out if the dodgy beta boot loader will be sorted at some time.
Image ImageImage

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:22 pm

OgamiZ wrote:OK got it, just send the firmware update. So is there still a new boot loader update coming for the v2 bootloader beta testers as stated in the email we received? If not will this affect the beta testers ability to update if there's firmware coming that requires a bootloader update first?
Yes it's looking like we will still do this for the beta testers. I am sorry we weren't able to get to it prior to releasing a new update; we meant to. We're getting there though.

robml

Post by robml » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:01 am

OgamiZ wrote:I updated the Firmware today & it went without a hitch. Still wouldn't mind finding out if the dodgy beta boot loader will be sorted at some time.
agreed

OgamiZ

Post by OgamiZ » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:22 am

Amos wrote:
OgamiZ wrote:OK got it, just send the firmware update. So is there still a new boot loader update coming for the v2 bootloader beta testers as stated in the email we received? If not will this affect the beta testers ability to update if there's firmware coming that requires a bootloader update first?
Yes it's looking like we will still do this for the beta testers. I am sorry we weren't able to get to it prior to releasing a new update; we meant to. We're getting there though.
Good to know it's gonna get sorted eventually :)
Image ImageImage

Pablo Dali

Post by Pablo Dali » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:55 am

Hi guys

I didnt know i wasnt suposed to update de bootloader !
I dont get any response from the unit right now so i guess its locked.
The only thing that is blinking is the LFO rate LED , No sound, and the preset leds are all turned off.
And i cant put it back in shift mode to update it again,
it doesnt have any firmware running now i guess.

I need help, thank yoou in advanced :)

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:09 pm

Pablo Dali wrote:Hi guys

I didnt know i wasnt suposed to update de bootloader !
I dont get any response from the unit right now so i guess its locked.
The only thing that is blinking is the LFO rate LED , No sound, and the preset leds are all turned off.
And i cant put it back in shift mode to update it again,
it doesnt have any firmware running now i guess.

I need help, thank yoou in advanced :)
you're probably OK. that state that you are in *is* the bootloader.
If you plug in USB from the sub to your computer, does your MIDI / sysex software "see" the sub?
if so you're good, just send the most recent firmware sysex.

if any questions about this, contact moog service (techsupport at moogmusic dot com) for help performing the update.

OgamiZ

Post by OgamiZ » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:58 pm

Amos wrote:
It's been almost 1½ years since I asked this & still no sign of a fix of the bootloader for beta testers. Has the Sub Phatty been forgotten about? I hope not because I still love mine, even with the constant stuck notes (I'd be lost without the + - octave panic button) So can we please have some some Sub Phatty Love :D
Image ImageImage

OgamiZ

Post by OgamiZ » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:11 pm

Just bumping this again, I'd really like some kind of an answer as to how close we are to an update of the boot loader for beta testers?
Image ImageImage

OgamiZ

Post by OgamiZ » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:28 am

OK it's been a almost a month since my last bump on this & still no answer. Kinda feel like the beta testers are being ignored now....NOT GOOD :roll:
Image ImageImage