Sub Phatty Editor v1.1 coming; question for Windows users

Everything Sub.
Amos

Sub Phatty Editor v1.1 coming; question for Windows users

Post by Amos » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi folks,

I am trying to determine if anyone is using the VI (virtual instrument) -version of the Sub Phatty Editor plugin for Windows.
It seems that the "effect" version of the plugin is better for most users... should we continue to offer both versions?

Please let me know.

Also if you are a Windows user who has had trouble with the plugin version of the Sub Phatty Editor, let me know and I can send you the new version to see if it helps. If it does, excellent. If not, it tells me that we need our own Windows MIDI driver, which we're also looking into.

Thanks!

Amos

Waza

Re: Sub Phatty Editor v1.1 coming; question for Windows user

Post by Waza » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:36 pm

I run Windows and use the instrument version. Never tried the effects one. I'll test it and let you know.
Computer: 3.4ghz i7 Quad core, 24gb Ram,
Soundcard : Focusrite Saffire 56
DAW: Studio One 64 Bit
Plugins : Too Many to say
Hardware: Moog Model D, Access Virus Ti2 Keyboard

breun

Post by breun » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:45 pm

I don't run Windows and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but just a quick question: where can I find an explanation of why or in which situations I'd want to use one version of the plugin instead of the other?

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:55 pm

breun wrote:I don't run Windows and I don't mean to hijack this thread, but just a quick question: where can I find an explanation of why or in which situations I'd want to use one version of the plugin instead of the other?
Hi, that's a good question! It basically comes down to what workflow seems the simplest or most logical to you, in your DAW. Different DAWs handle things differently, from MIDI versus Audio tracks, to external instruments... how plugins are hosted (on channels or as "insert" / busses)... so there's no clear rule or one right way to do it.

wacopacco

Post by wacopacco » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:14 pm

I use windows and didn't even know about an effects editor...

MuzzFuzz

Post by MuzzFuzz » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:10 am

Amos wrote:Hi folks,

I am trying to determine if anyone is using the VI (virtual instrument) -version of the Sub Phatty Editor plugin for Windows.
It seems that the "effect" version of the plugin is better for most users... should we continue to offer both versions?

Please let me know.

Also if you are a Windows user who has had trouble with the plugin version of the Sub Phatty Editor, let me know and I can send you the new version to see if it helps. If it does, excellent. If not, it tells me that we need our own Windows MIDI driver, which we're also looking into.

Thanks!

Amos
Hi Amos,

I did wonder what you meant by the "effect" version being better for most users: a better concept, a better workflow, or a better (read "more stable") option.

For reference, my system is Win 7/64, Cubase 7.07, with MOTU microlite MIDI and UltraLite mkIII audio (the older, FW-only model).

I had all sorts of trouble with connection issues under all versions until I finally gave in and connected USB and DIN MIDI in parallel. I've been using mostly stand-alone because I find it a convenient way to get to the under-the-hood parameters (see my reply to IgorCristo on another thread).

Recently I've changed my working method. I've stopped monitoring the Sub through CueMix FX and started using an audio track in Cubase. This makes sense to me because I can forget about the audio track to begin with and concentrate on the MIDI track and the Editor window. The audio track doesn't come into it until I start adding effects.

The Editor and MIDI transmission work beautifully like this. Again, I put it down to the parallel MIDI solution.

Just now I gave the VI version a whirl. it too works as expected, but conceptually I still prefer the "effect" version. I don't tend to imagine the Sub as a hardware VI, more just MIDI hardware. I've said it before and I'll say it again: maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

So if we have to stay with parallel MIDI, I'd say please keep the "effect" version and the stand-alone. And if there's a way to keep both, but lose the need for DIN MIDI connections, that would be even better.

Cheers,
Murray.

Rokatansky

Post by Rokatansky » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:15 pm

Hi Amos

VI never worked for me in Cubase 7.5.Win 7 64
Could you be so kind to send me the new version.
TIA

Rokatansky

Post by Rokatansky » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:31 pm

Hi Amos.
Unfortunately "effect version" doesn't work.
Finally it opens without crash Cubase,but the SP appears like no connected.
Tried both USB & Din configs.
If I only select one the SP doesn't sound.
It sounds if I select both DIN & USB in the editor but the editor doesn't work at all,remains as hardware disconnected and I get crash when tried to change presets in the editor.
My configuration is a MIDI channel to control the SP and and Audio channel to load the editor.
Cubase 7.5 64 Win 7 64

Standalone works fine.

Kind Regards

breun

Post by breun » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Amos wrote:so there's no clear rule or one right way to do it.
I guess that's why I still don't know the difference. I still remember the Sub Phatty Editor installer asking me what I wanted to install and I just selected everything, because I had no idea what the differences between the versions were. I have successfully used the Sub Phatty Editor with Logic Pro X, but I have no idea which of the two versions I was using. It would be cool if some people that know how this all works would write up some use cases with example setups for different DAW's. I believe Windows vs OS X also makes a difference for what's possible (Windows has some limitation not present on OS X)? I feel that I'm not the only one struggling with this.

mixpan

Post by mixpan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:59 am

Hi Amos!
Nice to hear from you again. I do have problems with the editor in Windows. Where can I send you an email so that you can send me the new one?
Also: I never got the effect version to work within my DAW. Maybe I did something wrong, but it was only the Vi that worked (with the "hardware disconnected" issue described in so many posts)

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:50 pm

Hello Amos,

I'm using Ableton Live 9, on Windows 7 Laptop and Windows 8 Studio Computer, always in Local Mode OFF.

I have still some problem too like:

- Sometimes the SubPhatty "bug" and doesn't respond anymore with no apparent reason ( it play a midi clip and then IDK why it stop making sound and I have to reboot it, sometimes the first reboot doesn't change anything.)

- Every time I try to use the Keyboard of the SubP to play note I almost always have note stuck immediately, I never had this problem when I play note from Ableton Push, only with the SubP Keyboard ( MIDI IN set to: All Input ; Local Mode OFF).

- Often Some bug with LFO Range Speed not working correctly with the Editor, it often doesn't respond when I change it from the Editor.

- Sometimes some problems with VCA/VCF EG Re-Trigger / Reset.

Nothing to do with the Editor but I notice that my Sub Phatty isn't tracking perfectly, I already did a calibration procedure 2 times but doesn't change a lot, having an option to reduce/increase the percentage of the voltage sent by a midi note into the editor would be awesome.

I also notice that the VCO2 isn't tracking very well with the VCO1 when it's not synced so I've almost always some fast annoying phasing on at least half of the notes when I tune it to the root note of the scale I'm playing.

A part these issue everything is working fine for me, was my first analog synth and I'm still in love with it, the perfect east coast synth for me.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:52 am

Hi all... I suspect that most of the remaining Windows issues are due to the default Windows USB-MIDI driver and its shortcomings when handling SysEx data. We are looking into a custom USB MIDI driver for Moog synths, which should help to improve matters. I'll keep you informed about our progress.

digitalarchon

Post by digitalarchon » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:51 am

Hi, Amos,

I'll be up front and say I'm not the most sophisticated user of my Sub Phatty, and the Sub is my first hardware synth purchase.

My system is Win7-64, on Ableton Live 9.1, and I have a Push.

That being said, I do use the standalone editor on occasion to mess around with under the hood settings like the fast LFO options, but I'm using the standalone primarily because I have to mess around in Ableton because of the hardware disconnected issue. It was an interesting learning experience, since I've never had to touch the "external instrument" before. :) Otherwise, I've had no issues with the hardware or the firmware of the Sub Phatty itself, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Anyway, if the effect version of the editor worked in Ableton without the "hardware disconnected" issue (meaning I could/playback recorded MIDI and automation without having to jump through hoops), I very likely wouldn't use the standalone version of the editor.

deto

Post by deto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:13 am

Hi Amos,

my system is Win8/64, Ableton Live 9.1 (32bit), Sub Phatty connected win USB and DIN MIDI.

After fiddling around with the sub phatty settings for a while I got everything up and running, so I can record the SP within my DAW (local off), so far so good. But things are getting nasty, when I try to record knob movement.
First I have to assign a MIDI-Controller to the corresponding knob on the plugin (would be nice, if the custom MIDI-Driver from you would solve this). When recording knob movement, at first everything seems to work well, but the longer you record, the more hickups the system gets, after a while there is some kind of lag between movement and the response of the plugin. Later the SP isnt responding any more, and I have to reboot windows and turn the SP off and on again.
I think there is some kind of a loopback of MIDI-Data, the longer I play, the more data gets stuck and cant be processed anymore in time.

I really hope you get this issue solved, I love my SP, but within my DAW its almost useless for me.
If you need more people for testing, then count me in, I would be happy if I can help!

Steril

Post by Steril » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:38 am

Cubase 7.5 on Windows 8 here.
The VI Version didn´t even show up, when I load an instrument track.
The FX Version shows "not connected", even when I disable the Phatty MIDI Port in the prferences.
So no use for the Phatty editor inside the DAW...
It would be great, If you can fix this!
Regards!

www.sterilmusic.com