Sub Phatty Filter Issue with video.. any thoughts?!

Everything Sub.
adamhearts

Sub Phatty Filter Issue with video.. any thoughts?!

Post by adamhearts » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:04 am

Hey guys

My sub phatty filter is doing weird things! Crackling when you turn it around the 320hz mark, and sometimes even higher
No envelopes, no modulation, no midi going on just straight audio out.
Does the same thing straight into speakers (no interface), then when its through my audio interface and also through the headphone port.
Does it regardless of oscillator, filter pole or voice.

I've sent the same video to moog tech support so hopefully they will have an idea what it could be, but perhaps you guys could tell me if you know what it might be? I'm convinced its filter related or a funny pot maybe. It seems to jump really quickly up and down the ladder.

It hasn't been opened and only had light studio use! Thank god its still in warranty :)

thanks in advance for any input.. here is the video >>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09dF_mtwInM

IgorCristo

Re: Sub Phatty Filter Issue with video.. any thoughts?!

Post by IgorCristo » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:57 pm

I've been thinking about this since the day you've posted this here.......

I have something that could possibly discover where is the problem. You're getting artifacts just when turning the knob or when you apply an envelope you get it too? If this is a hardware problem (wich I think it is), it can be just a faulty potentiomenter and it's simple to solve. If you still hear these cracks/glitches while using an envelope, you can have a bigger problem.....

Just an idea. I hope this helps!
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

LP23

Post by LP23 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 pm

I have this issue and it is the second Sub Phatty I have had it with. It isn't even consistent save for the fact that it appears to only happen starting just above 320 and all the way down from there. If I open the editor and look at it in standalone mode with no DAW open, I end up seeing it happen there, where it shows as the filter just randomly jumping all over the place and then returning to the actual position I have it at. The problem still occurs disconnected from the computer altogether...

To answer the follow up question for the OP- in my experience, envelopes are fine here. Thank God, or else the thing would just sound crazy...
http://soundcloud.com/lonely-paul
Sub Phatty, Dave Smith Mopho Keys, Arturia Minibrute, Machinedrum SPS MK II, Analog Four, Live 9, Push, Etc. Etc.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:01 am

It seems like a faulty pot problem..... it will require some minor servicing from Moog. :(
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

LP23

Post by LP23 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 am

Igor- was it you who had the issue where the filter wasn't closing all the way? I've noticed that too. I mentioned the filter acting crazy issue while asking Amos something else and he said that if it happened when not pushing inward on the button and didn't happen when pushing then it was mechanical, but if it happened when not depressed and when depressed that it was a MIDI issue... which had me confused (and depressed :P ) - so in the gap between Amos replies I am just thinking myself into a tizzy. All I know is that it's a bad time to have to send it away- hopefully I can arrange to run it to the factory myself to expedite things if I have to send it away... I do always like an excuse to drop in :D
Sub Phatty, Dave Smith Mopho Keys, Arturia Minibrute, Machinedrum SPS MK II, Analog Four, Live 9, Push, Etc. Etc.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:35 pm

LP23
Yes, it was me the one with the "unclosing" filter. I asked Amos about it and he was kind enough to teach me all the steps to fix it myself. In the end, everything went smooth and now I have a filter that really filters everything it should. I'm actually interested in what's going on, since all the saved presets in the Editor, made by other users, possibly have the same "filter not entirely closed" issue (it's what I get when I tweak them to fit my "new" filter range).

I understood what you said, but it's quite weird. I really think that this might be a minor pot problem... changing it will be easier than you think.

adamhearts

Post by adamhearts » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:42 pm

Thanks for your input guys, I have just had a read through your comments and tested a few things out on the sub.

There are no problems while using envelopes here, which is good.
Also as you mentioned, the filter knob on the standalone midi application DOES jump up and down too when the filter is glitching out. So I guess the midi is clearly reading the problem from the unit. Also in accordance with Amos' suggestion, pressing the cutoff off knob down whilst turning DOES make the glitching stop. So problem is semi-solved but will I still have to send it off do you think to fully fix it? I live in the UK so it might take a while! :(

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:59 am

Hi Adam! According to what Amos said to LP23, you probably have a faulty pot. It still on warranty, so I think you could either ask for another unit on the place you've bought it or send it to Moog Music... unfortunately. I think you should wait fo what the guys at Moog will answer you. Their support is really fenomenal and I believe they'll help you as fast as they can. Cheers!

LP23

Post by LP23 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:22 pm

I was able to run mine back to where I bought it and arrange a swap- and they are going to deal with it for me. I pulled a unit as far away in number as I could from my previous models. The pot actually calibrated so my filter will close and the actual movement of the thing is a bit more reassuring. No more jumping display. The problem has developed after a bit of use each time, so I will report back- but I am optimistic.

The filter being more properly set, I am now having to adjust my patches because I had programmed around the imbalance. It's made quite a difference.

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:44 am

LP23
Nice to know man! I haven't done that myself because living in Brazil, we don't have an official sale, so I imported my Sub Phatty. Even if I bought it here, it would be impossible for a store to exchange it for me... they would send it overseas at best. Anyway, have fun with your NEW Sub Phatty!! :D

adamhearts

Post by adamhearts » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:25 am

Hey guys, it's been over a week and I still haven't heard anything from moog :(
should I be worried?!
Best, Adam

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:29 am

No, don't worry. This is probably because Musikmesse was happening this last week, and the guys from Moog were at it on Germany. Wait a little bit more and you'll receivean answer. :)

adamhearts

Post by adamhearts » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:30 am

phew! I did wonder if there was a trade show on around this time. I will have to be a little more patient :D thanks!

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi guys!!!

Andy from the Moog Tech Support department here! No, our tech support lines are always open, but sending an email may have a certain lag time before it is addressed by one of my techs.

You can always email me directly for a faster response: [email protected]

Or, if you have an urgent issue that needs to be addressed, you can contact me by phone: 1-828-251-0090 ext. 221

Adamhearts: The issue you are describing sounds like a faulty potentiometer, and we will be happy to repair that for you in our shop.

Please contact me as soon as you can and we will get the ball rolling for the repair.

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Moog Tech Support Manager
Moog Music, Inc.