Sub Phatty Cutoff Control automatically resets to 200hz?!?

Everything Sub.
M Sterling

Sub Phatty Cutoff Control automatically resets to 200hz?!?

Post by M Sterling » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:25 pm

I was on the gig the other night, ready to rock my Sub Phatty on a new tune, and as I started playing, I noticed the cutoff control was acting strange. As I turned it, the cutoff would open, but then almost immediately jump down to 200hz. EVERY TIME. RAAAR. After that, if I continued turning it, it would jump to random points in the cutoff spectrum only to land at 200hz.

I thought maybe it was weird power at the venue or some kind of strange issue that power cycle would fix, but alas, it does the same thing in my home studio that I use it in all the time.

If anyone has any advice on what is up with my synth, I would be very appreciative.
Last edited by M Sterling on Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MuzzFuzz

Re: Sub Phatty Cutoff Control automatically resets to 200hz?

Post by MuzzFuzz » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 pm

Have you tried doing an Initialize Globals? See...

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... v1_1_4.pdf

...on the bottom row.

If you've been automating the cutoff with MIDI, the MIDI values you send get kind of "added to" the values indicated by the knob position. So if you've previously used MIDI to send a low cutoff frequency (or say, sweep it low), and the Cutoff knob was turned up high at the time, then you grabbed the knob and turned it down, the Sub's "internal position" of the knob can end up really low.

Initialize Globals resets these "internal positions" (my description) so they agree with the physical position of the knob.

I'd advise you to keep a copy of the chart in your gig bag. If you're working with parameter automation at home and taking the Sub out live later, you'll get a lot of use out of it.

Hope this helps. :-)

Cheers,
Murray.

M Sterling

Post by M Sterling » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:08 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I did try that, to no avail. It is starting to shape up to look like a hardware issue. I discovered that if I apply a little but of downward pressure to the cutoff knob, the synth behaves perfectly normal. Hopefully this is an indication of an easy fix...

M Sterling

Post by M Sterling » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:01 pm

Still haven't heard back from tech support, but I do have an update. If apply light downward pressure tho the Cutoff knob, it acts 100% normal. As soon as I take my finger off, the frequency immediately returns to the 200hz position.

Weird.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:53 pm

hey, that's a problem with the physical pot. I will make sure the service folks get in touch with you ASAP.

Cheers,

Amos

M Sterling

Post by M Sterling » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks!!!

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:30 pm

Hey M Sterling,

Andy Hughes from the Moog Tech Lab here...we will be happy to get your Sub sorted out for you!!!

Please contact me directly at your earliest convenience either by phone 1-828-251-0090 xt. 221 or by email [email protected]

Thanks!
Andy Hughes
Service Department Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

M Sterling

Post by M Sterling » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:01 pm

Quick update. It seems like a faulty Cutoff pot is the culprit.

Andy from the Moog service dept has been very awesome in helping me get it sorted out in a timely manner. Top notch customer service in every respect.

Shipping it out today and hopefully will have it back quickly enough so that I don't have to resort to using softsynths...lol

M Sterling

Post by M Sterling » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:45 pm

Final update. I got my Sub Phatty back from the factory today. I was able to use the priority RMA service to have it expedited. Andy and Nick from the service department were great. They kept me informed and turned it around quickly so that my gig/studio schedule was not interrupted too much.

The Subby works just great now, it ended up being a faulty cutoff pot. I'm very pleased with the service and courtesy showed to me by Moog and they have earned a lifelong customer. Now, back to shaking the foundation!!!

belius1974

Post by belius1974 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:44 am

Have exactly the same problem with mine, I'll have to replace the pot too...

Looks like should be more people with the same problem?

moledog

Post by moledog » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:21 pm

I have a similar problem, although mine resets to 20hz.

I don't want to ship back to the USA from the UK.

I'm happy to replace the part myself, but where can I get a suitable potentiometer...?

Thanks

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:45 pm

Hello,
We are very sorry to hear about any issues you may be having with your Sub Phatty.
Please contact our tech support so we can make arrangements to take care of you asap.

[email protected]
828-251-0090

-Your Friends at Moog