Moog Sub Phatty freezing Live 9.1.1 (64bit) Mac OS 10.9.1

Everything Sub.
chrispana

Moog Sub Phatty freezing Live 9.1.1 (64bit) Mac OS 10.9.1

Post by chrispana » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:02 am

Wondering if anyone can share some experiences with their setup of a Moog Sub Phatty and Live 9.1.1 64-bit (Mavericks 10.9.1) Macbook pro retina 15 late 2013 versioon .

I've routed everything as you normally would when setting up an external synth, running a midi channel to capture the midi through the use of an 'External Instrument' and audio that is rerouted from the synth into a instrument channel on the audio interface (RME fireface UC) and back into live. This is the correct method if i'm not mistaken, i'm able to monitor key strokes directly played from the synth triggered via midi.

Things get crazy when i'm able to get it all to work just perfectly then I try to map the parameters of the Sub phatty VST to the knobs and buttons on the Synth itself to help with automation and midi goes crazy, randomly triggering midi notes then when I try to access the sub phatty VST or editor, Live freezes....this is a constant occurrence. Even when I attempt to configure the VST and click on 'Prefs', it freezes the session. I'm not convinced it's Live and have logged support tickets already, it would appear to be to do with the software, firmware etc. as it seems very buggy. All other vst's and instruments no problem, the sub phatty constantly crashes / freezes Live.

HELP please team Moog! :) I don't want to have the worst first synth purchase that happened to be a Moog!

This has been happening since it was purchased a few days ago and it may well be i'm doing something wrong, any help would be awesome. Sent a request and crash report to Ableton, hope to hear back from them shortly, appears to be effecting people and not others. SUb phatty on latest firmware also.

Standalone is fun, however dying to work on a track that needs more Moog ;)

LP23

Re: Moog Sub Phatty freezing Live 9.1.1 (64bit) Mac OS 10.9.

Post by LP23 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:16 am

I actually have this same problem on the same model MBP. However, and maybe you mentioned this and I am not spotting it- I can get things to run fine when I switch to USB. Everything clears up, knobs can be twiddled, automation tracks fine, and push can be used to do more after touch-y things etc.
However, when I try to run through MIDI on either my Scarlett 18i6 or my MOTU micro lite, I get exactly what you are describing. This has been something that came to pass after a while of having it not wired that way, and I am starting think Ableton and Moog may both play a part in it. I also have been able to duplicate the problem on a Quad Core i5 iMac running the same Ableton version- so it isn't actually related to our laptops- though I suppose it could be something in an OS update. There have been updates to everything since I had it working right via MIDI rather than USB MIDI, but I just trie everything again today and still the same deal.

I hate it. I want my Sub Phatty on the micro lite with the other synths. It's hogging valuable USB real estate!!!

I sure would like someone to say something awesome about how we don't need to worry, because that's totally around the corner in an upcoming update.... :D
http://soundcloud.com/lonely-paul
Sub Phatty, Dave Smith Mopho Keys, Arturia Minibrute, Machinedrum SPS MK II, Analog Four, Live 9, Push, Etc. Etc.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Hi gents, and thank you for the reports!
I am logging this right now with all the details you've given, so that we can look into a fix with all speed.
I am hesitant to predict an ETA on a fix for this issue, but I will not let it get overlooked.

Does the trouble only happen when bringing the Sub Phatty VST into the mix?
I should have a new build of the VST for Mavericks this week; perhaps you guys could test that once I have it, to see if it improves the situation.

kind regards,

Amos

chrispana

Post by chrispana » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:11 am

Amos wrote:Hi gents, and thank you for the reports!
I am logging this right now with all the details you've given, so that we can look into a fix with all speed.
I am hesitant to predict an ETA on a fix for this issue, but I will not let it get overlooked.

I should have a new build of the VST for Mavericks this week; perhaps you guys could test that once I have it, to see if it improves the situation.

kind regards,

Amos
Thanks Amos, happy to test any new VST update, would you like me to PM my email address?

It happens if I try to map the knobs on the controller to parameters so I'm able to automate parameters using the knobs on the controller....once the knobs move slightly they go crazy and Ableton freezes.

LP23

Post by LP23 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:03 pm

I just saw this thread was alive and kicking- and also PM'd Amos- but ftr- I am willing and eager to test any drivers/ editor updates/ things that require crash helmets. :D
http://soundcloud.com/lonely-paul
Sub Phatty, Dave Smith Mopho Keys, Arturia Minibrute, Machinedrum SPS MK II, Analog Four, Live 9, Push, Etc. Etc.

chrispana

Post by chrispana » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:13 pm

Amos wrote:Hi gents, and thank you for the reports!

kind regards,

Amos
Hi Amos - I've tried the new update and has improved things, can use the VST on a channel to automate parameters, however this is with local off and all settings are tweaked from within the DAW and not the knobs on the unit. It feels as though we are much closer than before, have spent the whole weekend creating patches and sounds for tunes i'm working on ;) Feel free to shoot over any more updates that are ready for testing.