advanced cv out for sub 37

Everything Sub.
andrewh

advanced cv out for sub 37

Post by andrewh » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:39 pm

Someone else mentioned that it would be cool to have assignable cv ins and outs for the sub 37; that would be nice, but it would be even better to have a vx351-style output with 25 pin connector, since there are so many cool functions in this new synth. That's probably a pipe dream, but maybe you guys can make an assignable cv out patchbay with 6 or 8 jacks? there are a lot of cool possibilities.
- seperate cv outs for high and low duophonic signals
- 2 lfo bus outs
- 2 envelope outs
- gate
-?

_DemonDan_

Re: advanced cv out for sub 37

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:13 am

andrewh wrote:Someone else mentioned that it would be cool to have assignable cv ins and outs for the sub 37...That's probably a pipe dream, but maybe you guys can make an assignable cv out patchbay with 6 or 8 jacks?
It has been made clear, by everyone that I've asked at Moog, that CV Outs on the Sub Phatty and SUB 37 will never be available.

Those of you who know me know that I love messing with CV Outs, so I'm right there with you. But this will not change no matter how many requests come in. Take a moment to mourn and then move on to all the other cool things it might do.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

wordsdrawnigh

Post by wordsdrawnigh » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:22 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
andrewh wrote:Someone else mentioned that it would be cool to have assignable cv ins and outs for the sub 37...That's probably a pipe dream, but maybe you guys can make an assignable cv out patchbay with 6 or 8 jacks?
It has been made clear, by everyone that I've asked at Moog, that CV Outs on the Sub Phatty and SUB 37 will never be available.

Those of you who know me know that I love messing with CV Outs, so I'm right there with you. But this will not change no matter how many requests come in. Take a moment to mourn and then move on to all the other cool things it might do.
do you know why this is? does the control software make it too cumbersome or something?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:09 pm

wordsdrawnigh wrote:Do you know why this is?
You'll have to ask the creators on this one...

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:14 pm

Why can't Moog tell us these things directly?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:38 pm

EricK wrote:Why can't Moog tell us these things directly?
Obviously, I'm not speaking for Moog. But I did go online and look at
lots of other recent product announcements by other brands.

I couldn't find a single case where a product announcement included
a list of all the things that the forthcoming product wouldn't do. All
of them consistently focused on what their product *would* do.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:03 pm

_DemonDan_ wrote:
EricK wrote:Why can't Moog tell us these things directly?
Obviously, I'm not speaking for Moog.
Yet you insist on doing so.
_DemonDan_ wrote: But I did go online and look at lots of other recent product announcements by other brands.I couldn't find a single case where a product announcement included a list of all the things that the forthcoming product wouldn't do. All of them consistently focused on what their product *would* do.
Your condescension is duly noted. Seeing as how this is Moog's message board and not a product announcement, and seeing as how Moog employees regularly frequent this forum addressing customer questions and collecting feedback, it is not unreasonable to wonder why Moog doesn't address the issue while non-Moog employees choose to speak authoritatively in their stead.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:06 pm

OK, truce.
Can we disregard my above posts and just get back to
speculating and voting on how the CV Outs should look?

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:53 pm

I think I'll most likely just get a small Euro case with some tools. There are a number or midi-cv euro modules being manufactured today.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:07 am

The Kenton's are excellent (either module or stand-alone box). For a low cost option and if you are euro the 190-2 (Doepfer) can be had for cheap (used).

If you can build, the HexInverter Midi->CV can be built for about $50 (iirc) and it will do 4 channel. But in the end, it's additional gear, another power supply and wiring, shame that they are not offering the CV out. As much as one of the add-on products give gate out, pitch, LFO and other, there is no substitute to being able to push Envelope generator voltage out or have the wonderful, midi clocked and time divided LFO available for other gear.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:43 pm

It's the Kenton Euro that caught my eye. I still have time before I pick up a S37. I'll add a third to ocs. and a ring mod to the rack as well. That should play well with a pair of SEMs

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Question fo Mr. EMwhite or anyone else for that mater.

Last night I thought it might be cool to use a Freqbox instead of a euro rack osc.to feed the ext in on the S37. If I'm going to use the ext in on a S37 it has a mixer so I should not need to attenuate the osc out of the 107 (which is rummored to be too hot) is this correct? I could still use my cp-251 if needed.

I'm going to get a Kenton midi -cv to control cv pitch from S37 to 107 will this be a problem? Should this track well or I'm I better off with a euro osc into the ext in on the S37? I was thinking that the Freqbox might be a better sonic match.

Thanks

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:22 pm

IIRC, the 107 doesn't track accurately over the 10 octaves. It should be ok on 2-3 octaves.

slabwax

Post by slabwax » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:19 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:IIRC, the 107 doesn't track accurately over the 10 octaves. It should be ok on 2-3 octaves.

Thanks for the reply.

Neither do my fingers :D so 3 or so octaves should be fine for my silly needs.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:14 pm

I sold my FreqBox some time ago in order to buy a dedicated dotcom format OSC from SSL, which I subsequently traded for an Oakley S-VCO which I am selling now to afford more MOS-LAB (it's endless!) but I drove the FreqBox from the Little Phatty CV out, then took the OSC out from the Freqbox back into the audio in on the Little Phatty for a 3rd OSC.

I was also daring one day and took Midi out of the Little Phatty into a MP-201 with a programmed envelope which was plugged into the Cutoff of an LP-101 with the FreqBox OSC out going through it. So the frequency tracked the Little Phatty keyboard but I had a different envelope and a secondary filter. It worked well and seemed fine (at the time) across the 3 octaves of the LP keyboard.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!