Sub Phatty extension keyboard

Everything Sub.
unfiltered37

Sub Phatty extension keyboard

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:04 am

Moog needs to make an accessory in which you can take off the right end piece and attach a few more octaves keyboard extension, connected with midi or usb or whatever. Not only would it make the Sub much more attractive to keyboard players, but it would look amazing as well, kinda like the Korg Radias with the controls on the left side. Having a separate midi keyboard with it's own wheels is just not the same.

The Sub Phatty is an amazing instrument sonically, but the small keyboard, while pretty much the only downside, is a substantial drawback. A simple cheap extension that matches the Sub would be money, literally. And since it is detachable, it is still easy to transport.

Anyone second that emotion?

Bald Eagle

Re: Sub Phatty extension keyboard

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:46 am

I don't know, it could be a bit costly as a mod and possibly a bit unstable. Maybe just offer a second version with 3 or 4 octaves. Personally I like the size just as it is. Using it with a separate keyboard can be just as nice if not better if you are a bit creative with the arrangement of the boards. Mine fits very nicely in the corner. Easy access to the knobs and I can use the keys and controllers from any other board as needed.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm

It is a cheap plastic midi keyboard, they go for less than $100. This would be that, except with some plastic moldings to match the Sub. Or maybe one that doesn't attach and is separate. A whole new design would be much more costly and would be essentially the same thing that I propose. If they sold it at $150-200 they could make money and make it a lot more attractive.

If not, yes I would very much like a full keyboard version, that would make it one of the best synths ever made.

weemac

Post by weemac » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:13 pm

I expect the Huge Phatty to come out anytime soon...

Eden.

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:11 am

a Huge Phatty with all of the added "shift" controls as hard knobs and switches and the addition of a bigger keyboard would sell by the truckload if the price was kept down. i would buy one instantly. And the keyboard could therefore be extended to the right under the larger panel. i have it all figured out in my head as to how it would look...in a word, AMAZING. just gotta get Moog to see the light

Cheers,
Blackout

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:51 am

The size and features of the current Sub are a big reason the synth is as affordable as it is.
Remember, Moog's manufacturing is not some big assembly line overseas ~
Is a small group of craftsmen, building each synth by hand.

Once the feature list starts growing, so does the price.
Moog already has a synth with the multi-octave keyboard and lots of knobs & switches -
it's called the Minimoog Voyager.
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

maomao

Post by maomao » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:26 am

I think that an add on with all the "hidden" features on knobbed box connected to the Sub Phatty via a pass-through usb could be really interesting. I hate remembering or reading on the manual the "shifted function". :D

breun

Post by breun » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:51 am

You could configure an external MIDI controller to control all of the hidden/shift functions. You could even use an iPad with something like MIDI Designer. An official Moog tablet app would be cool too, but I guess we could do this ourselves. Or do I remember someone on the forums already built something like that?

(Or you could even build your own dedicated hardware MIDI controller if you're handy.)

aen

Post by aen » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:40 pm

Stuka wrote:The size and features of the current Sub are a big reason the synth is as affordable as it is.
Size for sure! I'm not sure how they crammed all those features in at that price point though :mrgreen:

breun

Post by breun » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Someone made a MIDI Designer layout for the Little/Slim Phatty: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20127

Something similar could be done for the Sub Phatty I guess.

brento

Post by brento » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:09 am

I love the sub phatty's small design. Perfect for people who already own a big keyboard and lack the space, yet have the ability to play the sp on its own.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:43 am

breun wrote:Someone made a MIDI Designer layout for the Little/Slim Phatty: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20127

Yep, MIDI Designer would be perfect for use with the Sub Phatty!
Works great with the Little & Slim... :)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

Del-Uks

Post by Del-Uks » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:25 am

Stuka wrote:
breun wrote:Someone made a MIDI Designer layout for the Little/Slim Phatty: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20127

Yep, MIDI Designer would be perfect for use with the Sub Phatty!
Works great with the Little & Slim... :)
An official Moog iOS app would even be better...
My Moogs : Minimoog Model D #10790 • Slim Phatty #SP 00433 • Sub Phatty #SUB03422 • MP-201 Multi-Pedal #MP00344 • Moogerfooger MF-104M Analog Delay White Finish #2074 • Moogerfooger CP-251 Control Processor #3962

Blackout

Post by Blackout » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:41 am

Stuka wrote: Moog already has a synth with the multi-octave keyboard and lots of knobs & switches -
it's called the Minimoog Voyager.
if Moog made a 25 key "short" version of the Minimoog Voyager it would still no doubt cost 3k. i bet.

getting them to come around to thinking from the bottom upwards and upgrading the much cheaper Sub Phatty has a better chance of ending up with a reasonable price and better size if you ask me! im just thinking a keyboard the size of the Little Phatty. nothing crazy big or unreasonable. Just another octave or so would do it. And then you could squeeze another 20 knobs on or so ;)

the Voyager and Sub Phatty are different animals. (i think the Sub Phatty sounds better! but thats just my opinion)

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:33 pm

Well, the basic sound is better, I agree, with the same setting on both, but the Voyage is far more flexible and has more capability for great patches. the Sub draws from the greatness of the model D, which is simple, yet the basic sounds is amazing. I personally like the Sub more as an instrument (besides the keyboard) but is not a full fledged analog semimodular synth like the voyager. Meaning it takes less work to sound good, but once you get over the learning curve, the Voyager is better, especially the old school.

The Sub is a huge value, and would be my next choice for an instrument if not the Oberheim SEM. But given the price point, if they could just make a simple extension keyboard that matched the phatty and didn't require a whole new keyboard, I would definitely buy it.