Sub Phatty Ableton Live Workflow

Everything Sub.
djintel

Re: Sub Phatty Ableton Live Workflow

Post by djintel » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Still wish Amos would get to my question regarding the midi device controls and recording clips within the DAW.

neuromodulator

Post by neuromodulator » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:11 pm

djintel, I'm trying to understand what your issue is. (Sorry, I got so caught up in mine, I wasn't paying attention). I'm having a bit of a problem following it because I don't have a Windows machine.

I'm going to try and reiterate the situation as I understand it. I think you already know all this but I need to make sure we're on the same page.

On a Mac, multiple apps can use the same MIDI interface, so I can let the Sub Phatty Editor (app #1) communicate via USB with the Sub Phatty Synth, AND let Live (app #2) still have the Sub Phatty be available as a MIDI destination. So there is no problem doing what you want to do - I set the Editor to communicate via USB, and a create a regular ole' MIDI track for recording CC automation.

With Windows, only one app can capture each device, so you use the Sub Phatty's USB capabilities to lock it to the editor, and then you use the MIDI out into your interface into a midi track to capture the automation. Right? So I'm missing the issue, unless you've got the MIDI settings set up incorrectly in the Sub Phatty preference pane (e.g. you aren't filtering CC messagese, right?).

Have you tried setting it up not as an external instrument but as a separate MIDI track (with clips for note and automation recording, Monitor to OFF to avoid loop) and audio track (as container for the Editor)?

djintel

Post by djintel » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:47 pm

neuromodulator wrote:djintel, I'm trying to understand what your issue is. (Sorry, I got so caught up in mine, I wasn't paying attention). I'm having a bit of a problem following it because I don't have a Windows machine.

I'm going to try and reiterate the situation as I understand it. I think you already know all this but I need to make sure we're on the same page.

On a Mac, multiple apps can use the same MIDI interface, so I can let the Sub Phatty Editor (app #1) communicate via USB with the Sub Phatty Synth, AND let Live (app #2) still have the Sub Phatty be available as a MIDI destination. So there is no problem doing what you want to do - I set the Editor to communicate via USB, and a create a regular ole' MIDI track for recording CC automation.

With Windows, only one app can capture each device, so you use the Sub Phatty's USB capabilities to lock it to the editor, and then you use the MIDI out into your interface into a midi track to capture the automation. Right? So I'm missing the issue, unless you've got the MIDI settings set up incorrectly in the Sub Phatty preference pane (e.g. you aren't filtering CC messagese, right?).

Have you tried setting it up not as an external instrument but as a separate MIDI track (with clips for note and automation recording, Monitor to OFF to avoid loop) and audio track (as container for the Editor)?
Thanks for responding to my post, I understand all the aspects of the Mac machine and how that operates, which i'm kind of jealous about. I also understand what you are saying about using a midi cable to my interface. I have a Avid Mbox Pro 3rd Gen, which doesn't have any midi in's so alternatively I have an m-audio midisport 2x2. I was thinking I could use that interface to send and receive midi data but it doesn't show up anywhere in Ableton's preferences so I don't know how I can select it to use. What I end up having to do is disablign midi through ableton, using the editor to select and edit my patch, delete the editor to free up the midi and then re-enable in Ableton to record a clip. It's very tedious and annoying. I am ultimately trying to find a way to use my midisport to take care of the midi part.

neuromodulator

Post by neuromodulator » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:52 pm

A quick google search does show other people having problems with that interface. Sounds like a driver issue. You could try reinstalling the driver, but it sounds like many people just gave up on it, as they couldn't get it working.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:56 pm

I am ultimately trying to find a way to use my midisport to take care of the midi part.
A few questions, and sorry if these are obvious:
  • Do you have the driver for the midisport installed? Is it the latest vesrion?
  • Does the midisport show up as a MIDI device in any software on your system?
  • If all of the above is true, have you tried unplugging the midisport while Live is running? Sometimes that will get it recognized.
If you can get midisport to work in Live, it seems that you are right about it solving your issue.

Mike

djintel

Post by djintel » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:33 pm

I kind of figured something out. IT seems the Mbox Pro 3 does have midi in and out, it's in the form of a serial cable that breaks out into midi in/out and spdif. I then enabled the MBox Pro External controls inside Ableton, deactivated the Moog's midi input and outs, as that is what the vst is using. I am now able to playback and record clips. I figure I would record somethign in then bounce to audio and work on the next sound. Wish multiple instances could be used, such as the 16 channels in the Virus TI.

KiNo

Post by KiNo » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:26 am

I am pulling my hair about a very elusive issue, i can't find any information pertaining to this anywhere, really frustrating:

Is it possible to specify/automate the recall of the SubPhatty Preset Bank patches, i.e. when I launch a clip in ableton, the clip recalls the patch number, along with the midi notes and other tweaked parameters? Where is that specified?

Up until yesterday, when i recorded a midi part on the sub phatty, it would register the patch number per clip, although, i couldn't see this data as one of the modified parameters in the CC list.

As of today, none of my clips launch with their presets, except one bloody clip. Total nightmare.

There is also another peculiar bug, I presume.

When the filter cut off knob is touched, the midi records only from the changed parameter value on, leaving the beginning of the clip at 0 (midi Value) at 20HZ, it doesn't write any other value that would correspond to the position of the saved preset.

The preset issue is a top priority since i couldn't perform without that sorted out and the showtime is raging towards me like a bull.

Cheers

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:24 pm

KiNo wrote:Is it possible to specify/automate the recall of the SubPhatty Preset Bank patches, i.e. when I launch a clip in ableton, the clip recalls the patch number, along with the midi notes and other tweaked parameters? Where is that specified?
it's specified per clip and should work fine... perhaps make sure you set Bank to 0 as well, although that oughtn't to be necessary I don't think... here's one reference (google returns lots of hits if you search "ableton live program change": https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/mid ... -messages/
KiNo wrote:When the filter cut off knob is touched, the midi records only from the changed parameter value on, leaving the beginning of the clip at 0 (midi Value) at 20HZ, it doesn't write any other value that would correspond to the position of the saved preset.
This is a quirk of Live, I think. What you wish it would do (and I wish the same) is to take the first recorded value it receives, and set everything from "the beginning of time" to that first received value, instead of assuming zero as the starting value. A quick fix for this is, after recording the clip, go in and delete that first data point or two in the CC automation. There should be just one or two data points which Live inserts prior to the first real, recorded data... delete these and you should see the automation looking how it should, namely a flat line which is level with your first recorded data point.

amos922

Post by amos922 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:06 am

THe video posted from vimeo is private. Is there anyway to make it public. I am having similar issues using the editor as a VST in ableton. I am using a mac and would like to know from start to finish the steps I would need to take to use the editor for automation etc..It currently will pull up in a stand alone mode so a very detailed step by step process would be appreciated.

jasonduerr

Post by jasonduerr » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:57 am

I have no issues (mac, ableton 8) using editor in standalone mode while ableton is running.

CleverConQueso

"Permission Denied"

Post by CleverConQueso » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:10 am

Hi, can you make your video public?
Thanks,
-CCQ-

Thomas Greco

Post by Thomas Greco » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Is this video still availlable. Says private on vimeo. I'm having issues with PC as well with editor as well. Also does this vid cover how to use the virtual instrument vst in a daw?

Thomas Greco

Re: "Permission Denied"

Post by Thomas Greco » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:10 pm

CleverConQueso wrote:Hi, can you make your video public?
Thanks,
-CCQ-

:) Times 2. thx.

JohanH211

Post by JohanH211 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi all,

After a day of fiddling around with all possible settings I just can't get it to work in conjunction as it should (with midi going in/out and together with the editor).
I have read through all the forum posts and tried incorporate the most usefull advice. The biggest problem is to send midi(clip) info from windows/ableton live 9 to the Sub Phatty and/or let the editor change presets or direct automation.

See below for my settings. Is there anything obvious that I am doing wrong? Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

FYI:
- Midi information from the SP comes through a MIDI cable (SP [OUT] ---> External Audio SC FastTrack C-400 [IN])
- I have direct USB cable from my pc to the SP