Sub Phatty Processing External Audio?

Everything Sub.
Invisible Man

Sub Phatty Processing External Audio?

Post by Invisible Man » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Hello people.

Haven't figured this out yet--I have multiple Moogerfoogers, and am new to the world of analog synthesis. I'd love to sell my MF-101 if I could simply use the Phatty's filter instead to process guitar, bass, banjo, &c...I've read the Sub Phatty manual a few times, but that part about processing external audio is still fuzzy. Anyone done it successfully?

From what I understand--there might be an impedance problem, as the SP is configured to take line level signals. Do I need to run:
(instruent) > DI box > SP > Amp? And I'm aware I need to insert a dummy plug in the gate jack, but nothing has worked yet. Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

breun

Re: Sub Phatty Processing External Audio?

Post by breun » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:18 am

I haven't tried it yet, but a signal out of an electric guitar definitely isn't line level, so yes, you'll need to put something in between your guitar and Sub Phatty to fix that.

ian thomas

Post by ian thomas » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:09 am

Are you hearing any external sound at all? The first step should be to access shift mode and make sure that the noise knob is turned up as this controls the level of the external input in shift mode. With that turned up and a dummy patch cord plugged into the CV gate in you should be able to hear some instrument level inputs as well, though a DI box is ideal.

Mr Shave

Post by Mr Shave » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Keep in mind that the MF101 has an envelope follower that the Phatties do not. So if you want the cutoff frequency to change dynamically with your playing, you might want to stick with the MF101 for that role.