Sub Phatty cutoff filter knob broken?

Everything Sub.
troglodisme

Sub Phatty cutoff filter knob broken?

Post by troglodisme » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:12 am

Hi guys, I am a newbie here..

I have been reading some of the posts regarding the sub phatty that I bought less than a month ago. Like everyone I will wait for the editor for and the firmware update (to solve problems using ableton and midi), but in the meanwhile I would like to know if anybody is having similar problems to mine.

My cutoff wheel seems to be kind of broken, and it doesn't look like a software thing, more like electrical or "mechanical". Basically:

- I am playing some notes
- I change the position on the cutoff knob, let's say from 80hz to 1.2khz
- I take my finger out of the knob

and the filter just cuts back to 80 or anyway to another position. As soon as I touch the center of wheel (the metallic bit) the filter goes back to 1.2 again, but only until my finger is touching the wheel. It is very odd and it looks like something related to ground.

I have tested this in studio and at home, using various presets and without the midi connected at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! THANKS!

till

Re: Sub Phatty cutoff filter knob broken?

Post by till » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:08 am

Without MIDI or USB connected?
Then it is not a MIDI loop (might happen via USB too!)
I can't imagine a setting on the Sub Phatty doing a thing like this.
So I am afraid you will have to contact the Moog support.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

grailtone

Post by grailtone » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Mine is doing the same thing, no midi/usb/computer, local on.

If I push down on the pot a bit it travels normally, but, if I bump it, it skips around. Seems like it's shorting against something. The pot is secured to the panel just fine, I think it's a solder or something.

Bummer time :(

IgorCristo

Post by IgorCristo » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:44 pm

Maybe this has something to do with the knob mode you are using… maybe you could see if the problem persists after setting the knob to the "snap" or "pass-thru" modes. There's a chance that this is some kind of bug.
Moog Minimoog Voyager Performer Edition and Little Phatty Stage II | Elektron Analog Four and Analog Rytm | Mutable Instruments Ambika | Korg Minilogue

troglodisme

Post by troglodisme » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:34 am

Yes, it looks like a solder shorting somewhere. Same for me.

This is really bad, I mean what are we supposed to do? I can go to the shop and complain with them but they don't have any fault really. Shall we try and do something together? Is there anybody else who has the same problem?

Let me know!

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 am

this problem warrants a phone call to Moog service. 1.800.948.1990 (toll-free, USA) or +1.828.251.0090

If the cutoff knob was damaged by mechanical force (a drop, a blow) then it's not covered, but if it simply ceased to work then its replacement is covered under warranty.

troglodisme

Post by troglodisme » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:06 pm

EDIT:

I have contacted the shop (Scavino in Turin, Italy) and arranged a free pick up. They will then send it to the Italian distributor (Midiware) where it will be checked and hopefully replaced/fixed.

Hope this can help others who will get similar problems.

h4ndcrafted

Post by h4ndcrafted » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:45 pm

Just had this happen to me after 3 months of careful use. You can see encoder jitter when looking at the editor.
If I unplug any midi control I still get it. If I have the encoder between 20 and 300 hz it starts to jitter of just jumps down to 20 hz.

Maybe they had a dodgy batch of encoders ?

Anyway it's in cover so I just hope Moog will pay shipping for the repair!