Sub Phatty opinion

Everything Sub.
RizalKhan

Sub Phatty opinion

Post by RizalKhan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:49 am

Sorry if this has been covered. I did look but found nothing so far.

So I own the Moog Voyager and MiniTaur. Would you get the Sub Phatty if you already owned a Voyager and Minitaur? My only guess is it is for the multidrive? Maybe the pitch amount on Osc 2 only in the modulation section. What else? Any feedback?

robml

Re: Sub Phatty opinion

Post by robml » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:09 am

thundercat!

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:24 pm

RizalKhan wrote:Sorry if this has been covered. I did look but found nothing so far.

So I own the Moog Voyager and MiniTaur. Would you get the Sub Phatty if you already owned a Voyager and Minitaur? My only guess is it is for the multidrive? Maybe the pitch amount on Osc 2 only in the modulation section. What else? Any feedback?
Here's some demos that might help: :)

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... /#comments

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubPhatty
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 pm

Some other points in the Sub Phatty's favor:
  • Continuously variable waveforms, and under modlation control
  • The Noise generator
  • MIxer distorts the filter past 12 o'clock(this is pre-Multidrive and sounds great)
  • Filter slope selection from 1 pole to 4 (don't know if the others have this)
  • Osc 2 beat frequency
It's a different flavor of Moog, but still Moog for sure.

Mike

Vitja

Post by Vitja » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:59 pm

All phattys have multi pole filter. I love it! I use all of them.

Sub Phatty? Hmmm. I kinda don't like the shape of the synth. I hope Moog will make slim sub.
But anyway. I'm really interested in beat freq and I really like the Bass sounds. It sounds Evil :twisted:
I also like the noise quality. It is somehow different. And HANDS ON CONTROL!!!!
Gear:Slim Phatty, Arturia Minibrute, Casio MT-600, MF-101,MF-102,MF104Z,MP-201,CP-251,Ibanez John Scofield, PRS custom 24, circuit bent Kawai R-100,Circuit Bent Roland TR-505, Boss Dr55, Akai MPK 25, Ensoniq DP/4, RME Fireface 800, tons of guitar effects.

jasonduerr

Post by jasonduerr » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:13 pm

It's only $1k and because it's Moog. You will probably get 30+ years of service out of it.
Because sometimes you wan to sit in the garage with your wife's bass amp, and the phatty is smaller than the other one, and has a keyboard, unlike the other one.

Sir Nose

Post by Sir Nose » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:22 pm

If I had a Voyager and a minitaur, I'd skip the sub for sure.

So many flavors in analog monos out there right now, if you are in the market for another.

RizalKhan

Post by RizalKhan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:21 pm

mmarsh100 wrote:Some other points in the Sub Phatty's favor:
  • Continuously variable waveforms, and under modlation control
  • The Noise generator
  • MIxer distorts the filter past 12 o'clock(this is pre-Multidrive and sounds great)
  • Filter slope selection from 1 pole to 4 (don't know if the others have this)
  • Osc 2 beat frequency
It's a different flavor of Moog, but still Moog for sure.

Mike
Thanks Mike but Voyager already most of them. In regards to Mixer distortion, few option Voyager has is plugging output to external input...or using a distortion unit at the point it leaves mixer but before it goes in fillter.

RizalKhan

Post by RizalKhan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:24 pm

Stuka wrote:
RizalKhan wrote:Sorry if this has been covered. I did look but found nothing so far.

Here's some demos that might help: :)

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... /#comments

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SubPhatty
Thanks...I have heard these demo's.

RizalKhan

Post by RizalKhan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Vitja wrote:All phattys have multi pole filter. I love it! I use all of them.

Sub Phatty? Hmmm. I kinda don't like the shape of the synth. I hope Moog will make slim sub.
But anyway. I'm really interested in beat freq and I really like the Bass sounds. It sounds Evil :twisted:
I also like the noise quality. It is somehow different. And HANDS ON CONTROL!!!!
IMHO - Voyager has more hands on control...and I think MiniTaur is better with the bass too.

RizalKhan

Post by RizalKhan » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:27 pm

Sir Nose wrote:If I had a Voyager and a minitaur, I'd skip the sub for sure.

So many flavors in analog monos out there right now, if you are in the market for another.
So true Mr Sir Nose. . I guess if I have to ask if a synth is worth it, then it is probably not :). I'm going for the Korg MS-20 Mini. Maybe in future, I might get the sub or another phatty but I guess its more a want than a need at the moment.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:02 pm

Opinion? yes I would and I did :lol:
I love my Voyagers (electric blue and XL!) and Minitaur as well -- the SubPhatty is very different again and i love it at least as much for both it's sound and it's look/feel/interface 8)
RizalKhan wrote: I own the Moog Voyager and MiniTaur. Would you get the Sub Phatty if you already owned a Voyager and Minitaur? My only guess is it is for the multidrive? Maybe the pitch amount on Osc 2 only in the modulation section. What else? Any feedback?
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

modoc_333

Post by modoc_333 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:20 am

I hate to say it, but no. I have a Sub on order. If I had the gear you have, I probably wouldn't though. Sure the Sub has some KILLER growly tones and those are my favorite..... But I think you have most of it covered. Unless you are just longing for the nasty!

This will be my only synth. I am a guitar player. The simplicity and price, mated with the tone, make it attractive to me. I don't think you are coming from the same place though. Buy it if you have the cash laying around, but I don't think you need it.
-Keith

Guitars at Bailey Brothers Music... Birmingham, AL