Sub Phatty for vintage (80s) sounds?

Everything Sub.
subb

Re: Sub Phatty for vintage (80s) sounds?

Post by subb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Interesting video. I didn't know the Model D's oscillators were that bright. I'll see if I could do similar tests for the oscillators and filters with the Sub. That should gives you an idea how close (and different) it is to the Model D.

subb

Post by subb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:23 pm

There : http://sharesend.com/mfo5f695

Triangle, Saw, Square, 50% Pulse, 100% Pulse, Variable waveform. Filter 0% resonance, 50% and 80%.

Overall, the resonance is much more pronounced than the Model D, similar to the Voyager, but the oscillators are richer than the Voyager.

So, no, the Sub Phatty is not a Model D. However, it's very capable of emulating it if you're careful.

The Beatsmith

Post by The Beatsmith » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks so much for your help! I'm downloading now.

Just in case you were interested - much of the mini's buzzy top end comes from distorting the VCA by having the oscs turned all the way up - just how the sub-phatty is able to do - which is why i assumed/believed that the sub-phatty could get much closer to the sound of a mini.

The voyager/LP has a very clean (and technically a more 'pure') path and only distorts when you use actual distortion (or distort the filter).

Does anyone think that this technology might get ported to a LPIII or a Voyager II? It would be strange to NOT do it - surely? I'm thinking the sub-phatty could be just the beginning :mrgreen:

Cheers!