Sub Phatty Editor - beta test feeedback

Everything Sub.
sp00ge

Re: Sub Phatty Editor - beta test feeedback

Post by sp00ge » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Hey Amos,

If you would like some additional feedback for ProTools 10 and Ableton 9 testing I would be interested in the Beta. I emailed you previously on this but did not receive a reply.

Ego Trip

Post by Ego Trip » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:14 am

Where can I download the editor? Can't find it or the new firmware update when Im logged in on my account?

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:02 am

Ego Trip wrote:Where can I download the editor? Can't find it or the new firmware update when Im logged in on my account?
You can't, it's still in private beta. It should be released very soon though.

HumanByDesign

Post by HumanByDesign » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:09 am

Mac OS 10.8.4
Logic Express 9.1.8
64bit
Sub P. Firmware 1.3.6
Editor ver. 1.0.0

Changes are really great so far. The editor has come along way in a short time. You guys are working hard over there. I've have had fairly positive go with the Beta Firm/Software thus far, but I do have a small gripe about the newest version, and I apologize for it sounding a little confusing.

Standalone Editor:

There is something strange going on with these editor updates in regard to names changing. After updating to version 1.0.0 (from 0.9.4) I had a patch saved on both the synth and Librarian as Dr. Bass. Now that patch is called SqeBass on synth but in Librarian, still Dr. Bass. The settings remain the same. Why did the name change on the Sub P?
This isn't the first time this bug has altered naming data. I just figured it would be gone upon the next update. However I think that, approaching the final release, it might be worth checking out.

Also, this is a biggie. With the Sub P plugged into computer via USB. try this….

- Use Sub P with Bank 1 Patch 4.
- Edit your sound using both the synth and editor.
- Turn on multi trig for both amp and env.
- Pitch amt OSC 2 only - OFF
- Glide Legato - ON
- Save patch on the actual synth using the buttons NOT the editor and watch the editor as you do this.
- A number of buttons and params in editor will turn off and some new ones on. Perhaps reverting to an older patch?
- The patch on the synth will remain how you intended, but quite different on the editor.

If I try it in reverse it becomes a real mess. If i select "Dr. Bass" from the librarian, the parameters change and Sub P plays the patch. If I alter the patch on either synth or editor everything is fine until I hit save on editor. The patch saves but the name reverts to SqeBass (with the asterisk now) AND the patch on the editor reverts back to the original parameters before editing. I have to reload the newly saved patch again to play it.
And to make things more confusing, in order to get the synth on the same settings I have to then "Get" from Sub P, drop the new patch from librarian into the other column, then "send" to Sub P to insure the patches are the same. Does that make sense. I know its confusing.

Is the Editor caching settings before saves for some reason? Because this is almost what it seems like.

This is really silly and should be corrected. The librarian should reflect exactly what the Sub P is set at even after a save from the synth.

Users need to be paying attention when saving patches because what they save on one could be drastically different on the other. I lost a good patch due to this.

Audio Unit plugin:

I have found that when Logic starts up that it will indicate that the Sub P plugin can't be validated. It seems to happen at random.
Also, when it appears to validate upon start up, it will then fail when I try to add it to a channel strip as intended.
This is a random instance and I can't consistently get it to happen to trouble shoot.
The previous version of the AU always validated. So I'm suspecting something happened between version updates.

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:27 am

Hello, so Editor 1.0.1 RC2 + Firmware 1.3.6 everything works perfectly for me for the moment,
But after 15 minute of use I had a USB connection loosed, it automatically recognize itself after connection loosed but there was a stuck note coming from the fact that I was playing at the moment which the SubP loose the connection.
A reboot solved the problem. I'm not a Live piano player so this is not very important for me but It can be for other people.

Edit: It doesn't happen anymore this last 45 minute, I notice that this happen the first hour of use after a firmware update generally but now no problems. ( <3 Moog 3-4 days without touching it ( was making a strong starting set for fast EQ Compressions and Drum Switch ) and ... wah feel good to hear that Moogy Sound :) )

Re Edit: 1 sec after the edit I move the Lfo Source and increase the filter amount and bahm, stuck note again :) Don't understand but again a reboot solve this.

A part that for the moment everything works well and, the new midi send when you go back in Active panel is very very useful for me Thanks Amos and all the Moog Team.

ul303

Post by ul303 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:07 am

Hello.
Back from holidays and just tested Editor 1.0.1 RC2 + Firmware 1.3.6.
I still get the hardware disconnected message with the vst version (x86) in Ableton Live 9
:( :( :(

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:20 am

ul303 wrote:Hello.
I still get the hardware disconnected message with the vst version (x86) in Ableton Live 9

Hello,

Do you use Windows or Mac OS ?

If you are using Windows, with only USB connection it's normal that the Editor doesn't work, like mos explained, windows is not good for sharing physical port.
But If you have USB + DIN it should work. ( For example I have my SubP activated in Ableton Midi Pref In & Out and my Midi Interface which isn't active in Ableton Midi Pref. The SubP USB is used for controlling the SubP via Local OFF mode in Ableton and the Midi Interface to make the Editor recognize the SubP, so this way it works.). Or there is a message from Salvator about virtual midi configuration to make the same things virtually.

If you are using Mac it should work with only USB, but I can't help you on this side.

Hope this help. Good luck.

ul303

Post by ul303 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:59 am

nofuturenocore wrote:

Hello,

Do you use Windows or Mac OS ?

If you are using Windows, with only USB connection it's normal that the Editor doesn't work, like mos explained, windows is not good for sharing physical port.
But If you have USB + DIN it should work. ( For example I have my SubP activated in Ableton Midi Pref In & Out and my Midi Interface which isn't active in Ableton Midi Pref. The SubP USB is used for controlling the SubP via Local OFF mode in Ableton and the Midi Interface to make the Editor recognize the SubP, so this way it works.). Or there is a message from Salvator about virtual midi configuration to make the same things virtually.

If you are using Mac it should work with only USB, but I can't help you on this side.

Hope this help. Good luck.
Thanks for your help.
I already had this discussion on this forum a while ago.
I use Windows XP (x86).
I do everything as you explain (I have tried both USB and DIN for Sub Phatty but with no luck).
I may have to try the trick from Salvator but it should work "natively".

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:59 am

When you open Live, before you open a project or launch the Editor plugin, go to Live Preferences - MIDI page
make sure that the Sub Phatty is NOT selected anywhere on the MIDI page... not track, sync, or remote, neither in nor out
...then launch the editor VST. then in the editor VST preferences, select Sub Phatty as input/output device.
Does this avoid the error?

if not, can you list step-by-step exactly what you do to get this error message, starting from opening Live?

thanks!
Amos

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:16 am

also... here's the latest manual update for the Editor.
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... _rev18.pdf

ul303

Post by ul303 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:23 am

Amos wrote:
When you open Live, before you open a project or launch the Editor plugin, go to Live Preferences - MIDI page
make sure that the Sub Phatty is NOT selected anywhere on the MIDI page... not track, sync, or remote, neither in nor out
...then launch the editor VST. then in the editor VST preferences, select Sub Phatty as input/output device.
Does this avoid the error?

if not, can you list step-by-step exactly what you do to get this error message, starting from opening Live?

thanks!
Amos
Hi Amos,
I make sure Sub Phatty is NOT selected in any way.
I do exactly as you mentionned.
Open live. Make sure only DIN midi is activated (I use a usb midisport 4x4). I see the SP via USB as "Moog Sub Phatty" in the live midi preferences and I make sure nothing is activated.
I create a midi instrument ans assign it to the SP using the DIN midi of course.
I add the editor as fx to this track (fx version is better with Live for me). I open it, go to prefs, select the SP as midi input & output (I see it as "USB audio device"). And I still get the hardware disconnected message.
I have tried many combinations: trying with midi DIN, de activating my midisport UBS, etc. with no luck.

I can see knobs moving as it is midi cc but there seems to be a problem with sysex?

Needa1

Post by Needa1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 am

HI all i have also a sub phatty where can i tested and download the new version for windows 1.0.1 sub phatty editor!

thank you

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 am

ul303 wrote:I can see knobs moving as it is midi cc but there seems to be a problem with sysex?
hmm. do you have the same problem when using the standalone editor (when Live is closed)? Or does SysEx / Preset Librarian work OK in the standalone version? Please try this if you haven't, and let me know. This could help to determine where the problem is located.

Sorry for the trouble! I will see if I can test on winXP today, also.

edit: Needa1, email me (amos at moogmusic dot c0m).

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:24 pm

HumanByDesign wrote:- Use Sub P with Bank 1 Patch 4.
- Edit your sound using both the synth and editor.
- Turn on multi trig for both amp and env.
- Pitch amt OSC 2 only - OFF
- Glide Legato - ON
- Save patch on the actual synth using the buttons NOT the editor and watch the editor as you do this.
- A number of buttons and params in editor will turn off and some new ones on. Perhaps reverting to an older patch?
confirmed! Looking into this right after lunch. :) good catch, thank you.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:51 pm

here's my first results with Logic 9 under 10.6.8
AUs pass validation
both versions and standalone installed properly, maintained existing patches etc. & everything running well until with SubPhatty Virtual Instrument in a Logic channel strip I booted standalone editor and reproduced the crash in Logic. Going the other direction with standalone running and booting Logic no crash everything is fine

still not seeing asterisk* after name yet — most probably/possibly the error is mine though...
Amos wrote: good catch, thank you.
will do more with this and then load into Mountain Lion and Logic 10 for further testing
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D