Sub Phatty Editor - beta test feeedback

Everything Sub.
Rexington

How about an undo and step backwards history ?

Post by Rexington » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:15 pm

Anyone for an undo feature similar to the way photoshop's works. You know if you make a long drawn line or brush stroke then stop and start again, the undo or step backwards would eliminate the last line you drew. Amos I wonder if the editor with an undo or ctrl "z" command and a "step backwards" undo history similar to Logic and photoshop would at all be possible in the next update. This seems extremely useful I instinctually went to the editor's drop down menus to hit the undo command to reset a parameter back after I tweaked it by accident a few times. No undo... :-( only options were "services" which had no services to offer anyway... lol

ul303

Re: Sub Phatty Editor - beta test feeedback

Post by ul303 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:14 am

Amos wrote:
ul303 wrote:I can see knobs moving as it is midi cc but there seems to be a problem with sysex?
hmm. do you have the same problem when using the standalone editor (when Live is closed)? Or does SysEx / Preset Librarian work OK in the standalone version? Please try this if you haven't, and let me know. This could help to determine where the problem is located.

Sorry for the trouble! I will see if I can test on winXP today, also.

edit: Needa1, email me (amos at moogmusic dot c0m).

Yes it works fine with standalone version!

Rokatansky

Post by Rokatansky » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:08 pm

Standalone seems to work fine.
I checked all the beta presets and have no problem at all.

VST 64 VI still not work in Cubase 7.0.5 64

Windows 7 64

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:38 pm

Amos - FYI, the 1.3.6 firmware update isn't included in the PC RC2 release you emailed out yesterday. I had to download the OSX version to get it.

The beta team's presets are sounding great. Good work guys. 8)

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:18 pm

ok, another new build coming soon

problems fixed in new build:

1) "disconnected" message when actually connected
2) editor getting out of sync with hardware if you save a preset (to hardware memory) using the hardware panel buttons while the editor is running.

also new firmware

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... _1_3_7.syx

fixed in this firmware:

1) KB Octave up/down while local control is off, now works correctly in Ableton Live (and everywhere else)
2) saving a preset on the hardware adds a tilde (~) after the preset name, not an asterisk ("*" is a wildcard on computer file systems, can't have it in a filename!)

cheers,

Amos
Last edited by Amos on Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rezonate

Post by Rezonate » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Hey Amos,

I have been keeping up with this thread and I feel like you guys are almost there! You are definitely doing an amazing job with getting this thing fixed up.

I was just wondering if you need any more beta testers to help out in the final stages of the pre-release?

I'd love to help out finding and fixing the remaining bugs... if you would allow me to. Let me know if you could use my help. Thanks Amos!

robml

Post by robml » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:31 pm

Amos wrote:I’m still trying to determine if it really makes sense to include the “virtual-instrument” version of the plugin as well as the “effect” version.
i'd get rid of it. its unnecessarily confusing. it's not a "virtual instrument" so it doesnt make sense to call it that either.

in logic x i am able to load the "external instrument" plugin on a midi track, then load the audio effect version of the moog sub phatty plugin. it seems to work, but the knobs dont turn on the plugin for automated midi parameters. you should be able to automate the knobs on an audio plugin in this fashion so looks like there is something wrong with the plugin. you shouldnt need to create a VI version to fix it.

cheers
Last edited by robml on Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HumanByDesign

Post by HumanByDesign » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:48 pm

Amos, is the Sub Phatty AU Plug-in 32 or 64bit?
I think I caught logic when it fails the plug in authentication, and it has to do with that "32 bit bridge" software.

robml

Post by robml » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:38 pm

hey amos

there is still a problem with the preference for "Amplifier Envelope Multi-Trigger" not being saved or recalled correctly.

can you please have a look at it.

thanks, rob.

Rexington

Virtual Instrument is great for Logic

Post by Rexington » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:59 pm

THe virtual instrument version used in Logic as an instrument works best here's why. Set up a track in Logic with the Sub Phatty editor as a virtual instrument. Any performing you do on the hardware synth including front panel tweaks gets recorded as midi data into Logic. Play it back it all works great, create an audio track and now record this so you now have a digital recording of the performance as well as a midi recording. Here's where it gets better, put the midi track into automation record Latch and overdub even more tweaks and knob sweeps using THE EDITOR :D Play this back and now you have automation created by the editor AND midi data all on the SAME TRACK :D Now go ahead and record this track and it's added variations to another audio track if you choose. Get the picture. I tried using it as an effect insert pluggin but there is no midi playback in logic when there is nothing in the virtual instrument slot. The effect insert method is the one that should be dropped it is not useful.

Amos

Re: Virtual Instrument is great for Logic

Post by Amos » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:35 pm

Rexington wrote:The effect insert method is the one that should be dropped it is not useful.
...except in Ableton Live, for example, where it seems pretty natural. That settles it; they both stay. :)

robml

Post by robml » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:41 pm

Rexington wrote:THe virtual instrument version used in Logic as an instrument works best here's why. Set up a track in Logic with the Sub Phatty editor as a virtual instrument. Any performing you do on the hardware synth including front panel tweaks gets recorded as midi data into Logic. Play it back it all works great, create an audio track and now record this so you now have a digital recording of the performance as well as a midi recording. Here's where it gets better, put the midi track into automation record Latch and overdub even more tweaks and knob sweeps using THE EDITOR :D Play this back and now you have automation created by the editor AND midi data all on the SAME TRACK :D Now go ahead and record this track and it's added variations to another audio track if you choose. Get the picture. I tried using it as an effect insert pluggin but there is no midi playback in logic when there is nothing in the virtual instrument slot. The effect insert method is the one that should be dropped it is not useful.
in logic x they have *FIXED* the illogical way it used to work in live 9, and now in logic x it works as you would expect, the same way as ableton live does with the "external instrument" plugin.

i would say, if you want to support the legacy version of logic, you should name it as such and have it unticked in the installer by default.

in the installer label it "logic 9 legacy support". otherwise people are going to get very confused.

cheers

Rexington

Post by Rexington » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 pm

@robmi When I installed the current version of SP Editor I choose to update AU, VST, virtual instrument and the Stand alone so that I would have all the basses covered. In fact I ticked em all except the rtas as I am not a Protools user. I will soon have Logic X but not until I plan how to deal with my reliable and vast 32 bit plugin collection and I'm also waiting for all the public beta testing lol to be done on Logic X before I dive in.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:36 pm

Unfortunately, that only works in LPX ~ Logic 9 won't support it
robml wrote:in logic x i am able to load the "external instrument" plugin on a midi track
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

robml

Post by robml » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:20 am

barryfell wrote:The beta team's presets are sounding great. Good work guys. 8)
hey i just installed the latest version and i dont see any presets other than the 16 factory ones. am i missing something?

im on osx mountain lion, recently rebuilt.

cheers