Should I buy sub phatty for bass

Everything Sub.
Fat dog

Should I buy sub phatty for bass

Post by Fat dog » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Hi
My first post and buying my first moog.
I have other analogue synths but wanted something for deep bass and a decent low pass filter.
I tried out minitaur at local store and loved it.
But Moog have threw a curve ball with sub phatty.
I really just wanted to know if the SP could do the same bass as the minitaur?
If it does then I would go for the SP as it has much more features.
I have watched all the demos etc on YouTube but its hard to define if it does.
Are the osc both the same
Thanks

marty

Re: Should I buy sub phatty for bass

Post by marty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:39 pm

If you've got the extra coin you should buy the Sub Phatty, no question. Not sure the direct lineage of the oscillator section but my hunch is that the Taurus 3 sounded so good that Moog decided to model future oscs on it. The great thing about the Sub Phatty is you have control over the amount of filter distortion, which is one of the keys to the T3/Minitaur mojo but hardwired on those guys.

Fat dog

Post by Fat dog » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:03 am

Thanks for the reply, i cant help feeling i would regret getting the minitaur over the sub phatty as i do have the cash flow at the moment.
Its just all the demo's i have heard, seem's the sub phatty has a more gnarly edge, which would be cool, as well as extra stuff the SP does.
But i guess i just need to know first hand if it can re create the minitaur's deep bass tones.
Does anyone own both, or played with both units?
I would just go to store and demo but the SP is pretty hard to get hold of at the mo to demo, so i guess i can only go off reviews or wait till a demo model comes in, which will be at least 6- 8 weeks.

aen

Post by aen » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 am

I'm using mine for quite a bit of bass. I got asked to start a new project in which they wanted me to play bass guitar, and I said, nah, check this out instead: "BWUUUUAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!"

I like it a lot better than the minitaur, partly because of the integrated keyboard, but more for the easy preset system and expanded "sound sculpting" options.

OgamiZ

Post by OgamiZ » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:05 am

OH it can do BASS alright, lots of nice subby bass or not so subby if thats what your after, & plenty of it!! But it can do a whole lot more too, your kinda restricted to bass with the minitaur so if you can afford it go for the Sub Phatty.
Image ImageImage

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:28 am

I have and absolutely *love* a Sub Phatty! It does beautiful basses but my understanding is that the Minitaur (and Tauruses in general) have a unique filter that does sound different. You may not quite get Minitaur sounds out of the Sub because of that. Others who might know if that's accurate, please jump in!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:10 pm

The Minitaur and Taurus 3 share the Taurus 1 filter, which is little more than the low pass ladder used in Moog modular systems. Yeah, it's THAT unique. However, the overdrive in the SubPhatty comes pretty close to the characteristic Taurus sound. For bass, you should be happy with either the SubPhatty or something out of the Taurus family. :)
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Fat dog

Post by Fat dog » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:06 am

Thanks to the people that took the time out to reply,
It looks from what I have read the sub phatty, as its kinda like a superior minitaur,
Can deliver on bass and do much more besides.

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:00 pm

I think the Sub Phatty is a special little synth. It has a *TON* of sound in it :)

aen

Post by aen » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:59 pm

Well, to be fair, I haven't ever tried a moog that didn't rattle my booty through a decent set of speakers.