Sub Phatty on the road

Everything Sub.
marty

Sub Phatty on the road

Post by marty » Wed May 29, 2013 12:20 am

Had a blast with my Subby on a short run through the northern Rockies this past week. Obviously the thing is easy to travel with but the exciting news is that after tuning it the second night out I never had to touch fine tune again. The temperature for one of the shows was in the 50s Fahrenheit (an outdoor festival near Colorado Springs) and no matter. We've had an LP in our outfit for years and it's lovely but prone to detune. The Sub Phatty seems rock solid so far.

My Taurus 3's oscillators behave likewise. I wonder if the oscillator stability is due to ditching the V/octave converter? Super handy onstage at any rate, I love this synth.

grailtone

Re: Sub Phatty on the road

Post by grailtone » Wed May 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Just took mine up to about 5500ft in 45 degrees in central Idaho and no issues whatsoever! That being said, my bandmates Voyager held it's own tuning wise as well! Good on Moog for the stability these days!

tin_pony

Post by tin_pony » Thu May 30, 2013 11:22 am

Hey. This is my first time posting to this board.
I just received my Sub Phatty a couple weeks ago and am curious as to what kind of case (if any) you guys are hauling yours around in. All my band's gear is packed in a trailer so road damage would be inevitable.
Any suggestions apart from custom road cases?

grailtone

Post by grailtone » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:45 am

I just put mine back in the shipping box until I can find something I can retrofit as a road case...

marty

Post by marty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Hey tin_pony, welcome to the forum.

I found that an off-the-shelf road case from EWI fit the Subby almost as perfectly as could be. There's not much foam for protection, only a quarter inch or so, but it's the really dense, robust foam. Anyway I hit the road pretty hard in the fall and this seems like it'll do the trick and a lot cheaper than getting a custom case built.

I tried to upload a photo but the board wouldn't let me.

breun

Post by breun » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:43 pm

What model EWI case did you get?

marty

Post by marty » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:42 pm

I can't find a model or serial number on it, it was just kicking around the studio, the dimensions are 21.5" x 17.5" x 8" (including hard plastic feet).

The fit of the length is so perfect that the Sub Phatty must be absolutely square with the case to slip in and out, and the height is such that there are slight impressions left in the foam from both the feet of the Subby and its upper corners. With a little extra foam to fill out the depth on both sides the synth does not even wiggle. And I can still fit my huge yellow maracas inside.

tin_pony

Post by tin_pony » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:00 am

Thanks! I'll check out that case.