Sub Phatty Questions about Midi compatibility

Everything Sub.
nofuturenocore

Sub Phatty Questions about Midi compatibility

Post by nofuturenocore » Thu May 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Hello,

I'm actually looking for a new synth, I only make software synthesis for the moment because of the limitations of analogue gear in term of compatibility with DAW Tools & the price which is not affordable for student.

But after some research I found the Sub Phatty, which seems to be a very good compromise between good osc, good filter, and good fabrication, good reputation & the only thing who really matter to me actually:
Daw Support

From what I've understand you can make your midi clips and make the automation signal go trough the subphatty right ?
Is it true for every paramters ?

And can you use things like Max for Live (LFO Multimaps ) or Ableton Live Midi FX (Arpeggiator etc) with the Subphatty ?

EDIT: An other question about the Subphatty : Can you change the VCO Routing to use modulate VCO 1 with VCO 2 ? Or there is only parallel basic Routing ?

Thanks

Sorry for the English.

kingfriday

Re: Sub Phatty Questions about Midi compatibility

Post by kingfriday » Fri May 24, 2013 1:33 pm

nofuturenocore wrote:From what I've understand you can make your midi clips and make the automation signal go trough the subphatty right ?
Is it true for every paramters ?
Correct. Every parameter responds to midi. The Sub can also do 14bit midi if you want to do fast/high resolution control changes. Midi LFOs, step sequencers, etc from Max for LIve will work.
nofuturenocore wrote: An other question about the Subphatty : Can you change the VCO Routing to use modulate VCO 1 with VCO 2 ? Or there is only parallel basic Routing ?
Unfortunately, at this time there is no cross modulation between the oscillators. Though you can get some pretty cool FM effects with the LFO and loopable envelopes.

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Fri May 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Okay thanks, just an other question about the VCO modulation. You said that VCO 1 & 2 can't modulate each other, okay.

But I read that you can assign the LFO to the Waveshape VCO. So I I use a Sine Wave on VCO & LFO and assign the LFO to Waveshape, doest this will sound like VCO modulate each others or this is just a modulation of the knob which choose the kind of waveshape of the VCO ?

Because a lot of the sound I make on Ableton Live Operator, are with 4 Osc ( A Modulated by B, &, C modulated by D) and a lot of Spread ) but I'm very interested about true analogue gear and moog seems to be a tasty reference.

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Sun May 26, 2013 5:07 am

And about the preset, when you load a preset, can you tweak all parameters or it make a jump from the preset position to the physic parameter ?

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Tue May 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Nobody ?

kingfriday

Post by kingfriday » Tue May 28, 2013 2:55 pm

nofuturenocore wrote:But I read that you can assign the LFO to the Waveshape VCO. So I I use a Sine Wave on VCO & LFO and assign the LFO to Waveshape, doest this will sound like VCO modulate each others or this is just a modulation of the knob which choose the kind of waveshape of the VCO ?
Not sure where you read that. The Little Phatty has this capability (Osc2 as mod source) but at the time of writing this, the Sub Phatty does not. There is a chance it may get added at some point, but I wouldn't count on it. FWIW, you're not going to get anything close to Operator style FM out of an analog synth. "Precision" FM like on a DX7 or FM8 is not possible on VCO synths because the oscillators lack the precision and stability.
nofuturenocore wrote:And about the preset, when you load a preset, can you tweak all parameters or it make a jump from the preset position to the physic parameter ?
Not quite sure what you're asking. If I'm guessing, you're asking about the knob modes and how they relate to the preset/panel mode. There are different knob modes that affect how the knobs respond when tweaking. If you can rephrase your question I might be able to answer it more specifically.

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Tue May 28, 2013 4:51 pm

Thanks for answering,

Sorry for my poor English ...

---> http://www.moogmusic.com/products/phatt ... #specs-tab

" Mod Destinations: Pitch, Osc 2 Pitch Only, Filter, Waveshape "

" Mod Sources: Triangle, Square, Saw, Ramp, SH, Filter Envelope "

I read it here maybe I didn't correctly understand what it means, but what I understnad is that Mod Sources are the thing which modulate and Mod Destination are the thing that you can modulate with these modulation sources.
So does this mean that the LFO can modulate the Waveshape like if it was a FM modulation or like if I was turning the Waveshape Knob with my finger ? ( Think it's the second but I love to dream ^^ )

And for the second question I think just forget this, it's dont really matter to me because I'll only use the Subphatty with Ableton.

Thanks again mr Kingfriday

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue May 28, 2013 6:25 pm

You said it: FM, i.e. frequency modulation, is differnet from waveshape modulation ;)

However, yes, you can modulate both osc's pitch or osc2 pitch only with the LFO. Provided this one is set in a high range of frequenciez (audio frequenciez actually), this sounds like FM.

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Thu May 30, 2013 2:34 am

Thanks for answering, I decide to buy it I'm actually going to my favorite music dealer to try it and I think I'll take it.

Thanks again.

kingfriday

Post by kingfriday » Thu May 30, 2013 12:23 pm

You won't regret it.

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Thu May 30, 2013 1:48 pm

So Fat just try it right now and buy it directly, sound like alien technology :)

Just an other little question:

When I turn off the Subphatty ,

I must turn it off before my USB audio interface right ?
Is there anything else I should do before turn it off a part turning the master / headhone ouput to minimum ?
Should I unplug the Jack ?
Is it normal that there is no USB cable with the Sub Phatty (Seems to be normal when I read the owner manual, but i find this weird...) ? Can I use a basic USB cable of one of my midi controller with it or there is different type of USB cable ? Is it 1.0 ou 2.0 or 3.0 ?

( So Fat !!! Multidrive Pink Noise & Resonance on the Filter sound so good !!! Don't regret anything on this synth, ( a part the fact that I have 100 $ left to eat and pay bills for the entire month :D but that's an other story )

Thanks

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Fri May 31, 2013 1:46 pm

...So impatient to try it with Ableton anybody know about this USB question ?

kingfriday

Post by kingfriday » Fri May 31, 2013 2:48 pm

Yup, any old USB cable will work. Just plug it up straight into a free USB port on your computer.

You **dont actually need to turn it off if in any particular order.
Last edited by kingfriday on Fri May 31, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri May 31, 2013 3:18 pm

*DON'T need to turn it off in any particular order.

In short, just turn off the power to the Sub Phatty any time you like. Nothing else you need to do.

In general it's good to turn off amplifiers (or turn down their inputs) before you turn off gear that is sending signals to the amplifiers... this is so you don't damage the speakers, mainly, or the amplifiers, from pops in the audio signal.

There's nothing equivalent that you need to do to the Sub Phatty itself; you can just turn it on and off at will. :)

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Fri May 31, 2013 3:31 pm

Thanks for answering so fast :) I think the neighbor gonna call police tonight hihi .:)

EDIT: ( If I understand how to work midi with SP :P )
RE EDIT :Done ( Happy like a virgin in front of a pussy ) Awesome sound :)