Sub Phatty beta firmware - final bug roundup

Everything Sub.
Amos

Sub Phatty beta firmware - final bug roundup

Post by Amos » Thu May 23, 2013 12:04 pm

Hello, all!

I've been working on an update to the Sub Phatty firmware for quite some time, and I'd like to finalize it and put it into production.

The most recent beta build is v1.2.2, which you can download here:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... _1_2_2.syx

installation instructions and notes are here:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... EAD-ME.txt

Now, I need your help. If you have experienced any bugs or odd behaviour when using the Sub Phatty, please test for the same odd behaviour in v1.2.2 and let me know if your problems are fixed, or if they persist.

The surest way to make sure your problem gets fixed is to post it in this thread.

Thanks very much for your help! My hope is to have a release version ready next week.
The more feedback I can get here, the better that process will go.

Kind regards,

Amos

[edit] grailtone posted a list here: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19457
- knobs stop responding after about 10mins use in Ableton Live
- octave +/- not working in Active Panel mode

I requested the folks in that thread to try different Knob Modes to see if it had any effect on the first problem, but no replies yet.

kingfriday

Re: Sub Phatty beta firmware - final bug roundup

Post by kingfriday » Thu May 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Setting knob mode to Snap in firmware 1.2.1 seems to prevent the panel lockup for me. I'll get 1.2.2 installed tonight and try the different knob modes in Ableton to see if it's still happening.

till

Post by till » Thu May 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Does work fine here on the new 1.2.2 firmware.
But I can't remember, if it wasn't working in the version before.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Howard Scarr

Post by Howard Scarr » Thu May 23, 2013 5:54 pm

1.2.2 appears to have fixed my "stored mod wheel position" problem - thanks Amos! :-)

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu May 23, 2013 5:57 pm

till wrote:
Does work fine here on the new 1.2.2 firmware.
But I can't remember, if it wasn't working in the version before.
sure enough, it doesn't work (for me) in Local Off mode, though! I think that's the bug.
I'll have it fixed in a moment... :)

mmarsh100

Post by mmarsh100 » Fri May 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Amos -

The bug I had with Initialize Globals appears to be fixed! It used to hose the WAVE buttons and the filter EG, but no longer :) It's easy to get to an initialized state now, yay!

Mike

Feltman

Post by Feltman » Fri May 24, 2013 5:34 pm

New firmware loaded and SF rebooted...I'll let you know of any issues, thanks.

kingfriday

Post by kingfriday » Sat May 25, 2013 11:43 am

So far no lockups in any of the knob modes using Ableton.

Paranoiak

Post by Paranoiak » Sat May 25, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi,

I am experiencing some issues when upgrading my SUB PHATTY. I had to power off the synth because it took a long time to upgrade but now, I have ONLY the LFO rate led blinking and nothing else work.

What i s the procedure to restart completely the upgrade process ? I have tried PITCH AMT - HARD SYNC - ACTIVATE PANEL without any success... :-'(

Paranoiak

Post by Paranoiak » Sun May 26, 2013 6:51 am

OK, problem solved, I have resend the firmware and everything is fine now. It has taken a very long time. (I left home during the process)

Rexington

Strange bug when recording SP to a Logic 9 audio track

Post by Rexington » Mon May 27, 2013 1:03 am

I just updated to 1.2.2 via USB seemed fine.I then started editing my Bank 1 Patch 1 sound. Took me 20 minutes to create a new sound which also had LFO midi sync from Logic. Patch sounded great and I set up a blank audio track in Logic and hit record. I hit playback to hear the newly recorded Sub Phatty audio track which sounded good so I started playing along on the Sub Phatty still in the same un saved patch I had just made then something strange I noticed. All by itself the patch I just spent 20 minutes making sounded somewhat different somehow and I did not touch any SP dials. THe LFO mod wheel was NO LONGER controlling the filter so I started testing parameters, still remaining in this messed up patch and found another BIG PROBLEM the filter knob was having no effect on the sound at all. I tried to rescue the patch by checking hidden parameters that set the filter to it's 4 pole settings. That did not fix the filter control. The patch was literally crashed. Something killed the Modulation wheel to the LFO Controlling the Filter CF, and the Filter CF knob stopped working leaving the frequency fixed and it sounded wide open. I decided to scrap the patch and check others in the same bank. THEY were all messed up, in fact something was weird with ALL my presets.I decided to reboot the SP. Well that fixed the patch memory my patches were safe and intact, I only lost my great unsaved patch that was an off spring of Bank1-1. I then had the bright idea of looking at the audio track in Logic but viewing the Event editor of the audio region and event editor showed there was some sys ex that was recorded with the audio. So I did an experiment and made a quick edit of a SP patch and hit play on logic WALLA, the playback of the audio track sent a sys ex bullet to the Sub Phatty and killed the current patch in the edit buffer in the same way AND my preset memory seemed messed up again !!! I re boot the SP patches in memory were normal again. I took a screen shot of the Logic session for Amos so he can see the sys ex data that is in the Audio track which by the way I had no idea Logic could even record midi data to track that's recording audio.

Rexington

Post by Rexington » Mon May 27, 2013 3:22 am

As an idea I reloaded v1.2.2 with turbo set to none. From this point on I was unable to recreate the problem, I am attributing the problem to a bad load of the OS and problem SOLVED.

Other bug to report: Is anybody else having a problem with note calibration hidden parameter command. WHen my Sub Phatty gets to the low octave in the routine, it hangs on the low octave note that's being tuned automatically forcing me to reboot the Sub Phatty.

Rexington

Post by Rexington » Mon May 27, 2013 4:22 am

Here's a bug I think: the Initialize Preset command by definition is to reset all shift mode parameters of a patch to default settings. That should mean the Hidden parameters and the front panel shift parameters. I think it is also effecting non shift mode parameters, I found that this command reset all the envelope parameters to where ever they were set on the front panel kinda like an activate panel command would. In this case I had all the envelope parameter knobs set to fully counter clockwise which did not reflect how they are stored in the patch as I earlier while in shift mode zeroed out all the shift parameters that are assigned to the envelope knobs. Hope this isn't too confusing to reproduce or understand :)

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Mon May 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Hi AMOS ~ Firmware loaded fine and seems to be behaving well - so far so good...
I think part of my confusion perhaps is the i/o Icons for global parameters are not entirely clear to me in the software GUI. Editor is still not right under 10.6.8, in any case ~ same issues as last week~ Have yet to hook SubPhatty up to Mountain Lion laptop again since updating FW though- will get to it soon - hopefully later today - best, Pete
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

cookiemonsta

Post by cookiemonsta » Mon May 27, 2013 11:55 pm

Thanks for all your hard work Amos. Cannot wait for the editor.

If you change the oscillator 2 beat frequency to something not center on the active panel, then switch to a preset, then switch back to active panel, the oscillator 2 frequency is where the oscillator 2 beat frequency knob was positioned.

This probably isn't a bug, because the active panel is working as it should. But it might be nice if I don't have to remember to reset the oscillator frequency after changing the oscillator 2 beat frequency.

Hope that makes sense.