Sub Phatty beta firmware - final bug roundup

Everything Sub.
bandmasta

Re: Sub Phatty beta firmware - final bug roundup

Post by bandmasta » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:08 pm

Under the hood function->Amp Env. Delay (Amp attack knob)=MIDI CC 104

NOT WORKING. Sub Phatty does not send any midi data.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:41 pm

bandmasta wrote:Under the hood function->Amp Env. Delay (Amp attack knob)=MIDI CC 104

NOT WORKING. Sub Phatty does not send any midi data.
Oops! Fixed. :) Thanks for the catch!

New firmware, v1.3.3:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... _1_3_3.syx

I also added a "send all parameter MIDI values" command... it's NRPN #0 value 127...
so to trigger sending all parameter values, send CC# 99 value 0, followed by CC#6 value 127.

subb

Post by subb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:04 am

Amos wrote: I also added a "send all parameter MIDI values" command... it's NRPN #0 value 127...
so to trigger sending all parameter values, send CC# 99 value 0, followed by CC#6 value 127.
Awesome! How is this different than the save preset sysex?

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:11 am

subb wrote:
Amos wrote: I also added a "send all parameter MIDI values" command... it's NRPN #0 value 127...
Awesome! How is this different than the save preset sysex?
it's different in that there's no sysex. :) Some systems can't speak sysex, so this is a MIDI CC command that causes the Sub to output all the current parameter values as MIDI CCs.

subb

Post by subb » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Great. So exactly the same as the sysex command. Thanks!

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:35 pm

...except it didn't output all the values in the last version. I fixed it now. ;)

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... _1_3_4.syx

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:14 pm

Amos wrote:...except it didn't output all the values in the last version. I fixed it now. ;)

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... _1_3_4.syx
oh just asked about this...but found it - anybody else have to download these with CHROME?
The Safari and Mountain Lion combination turns these Sysex files into gobledty gook when I click on the links :?
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm

misterpete wrote:The Safari and Mountain Lion combination turns these Sysex files into gobledty gook when I click on the links :?
in Safari, control+click and "download linked file as" ought to work.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 pm

thanks Amos~ that Download worked just now within Safari and also retained the name...was previously prompted with a blank dialog
---
i am still confused about 'panel' mode vs. 'activate' mode myself - maybe i need to check the manual again?
I would like if that 'relative' mode which is default for the knobs worked the same way for ALL the sub phatty parameters
as it does on the Voyager and Minitaur — as it is when I hit 'activate' - suddenl;y the sound is NOTHING like I was just playing :roll:
so not sure exactly what is tweakable without that happening — ie you don't need to hit activate to modulate sound with the filter or mixer knobs
Please Call Me, PETE

Amos

Post by Amos » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:41 pm

OK, here's another new firmware build; this one makes certain that "release on/off" is always ON when you turn on the Sub Phatty. You can still toggle the release stage on or off dynamically via MIDI, using CC88.

http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... _1_3_5.syx
misterpete wrote: as it is when I hit 'activate' - suddenl;y the sound is NOTHING like I was just playing
the "Panel sound" is a whole 'nother preset from whatever preset you are playing when not in Panel mode. The reason for this is because of all the non-panel parameters... it seemed more useful to have the panel sound be a preset unto itself, so you could always switch "back" to it from whatever other preset you are playing, and it will sound the same each time you're in panel mode. Otherwise the panel sound would always inherit the same "hidden" parameter settings as whatever was the last preset you played before pressing the panel button. This felt more random to me, in practice, and less musically useful.

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi Amos if I understand you correctly, IMHO that behaviour would be far superior — as it is, hitting the activate button on the synth is like hitting the RANDOM button in the editor but if it were to return you to a user designated sound or even a 'safe' bland factory one that would indeed be far more musically useful then having to 'expect the unexpected' :lol:
I guess ideally for me pressing "activate" would be a way to open up the hidden parameters WITHOUT losing the setting you had arrived at by tweaking the front panel — then after further editing <or not> we could resave the new 'preset'
thanx, Pete
ps: what is the command to "initialize preset" is that in the Editor and I haven't seen it?
pss: OK just used the hardware version of "initialize preset" again and was reminded why I don't use it more often~ absolute silence does not feel as intuitively 'musical' as say a plain vanilla saw or square wave... :)
Please Call Me, PETE

till

Post by till » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:58 am

Just noticed a little error:
The USB information the Sub Phatty sends via USB is still claiming it is a version 1.00, although I just loaded the 1.3.5 firmware and checked the version number in the beta editor preferences window. This should be very easy to change, right Amos?

And the serial number given via USB (here "23345678") is a dummy, isn't it? It does not match my Sub Phatty's serial number at all. So why not use "n/a" (if possible)?

This is what I got here on my iMac running OS 10.8.4 in the german version:

Code: Select all

Moog Sub Phatty:

Produkt-ID:	0x0006
  Hersteller-ID:	0x2662
  Version:	 1.00
  Seriennummer:	23345678
  Geschwindigkeit:	Bis zu 12 MBit/s
  Hersteller:	Moog Music, Inc.
  Standort-ID:	0x06200000 / 5
  Verfügbare Stromstärke (mA):	500
  Erforderliche Stromstärke (mA):	0
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

MuzzFuzz

Post by MuzzFuzz » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi All,

Now that we're at firmware 1.3.5, for me one question remains that I don't think anyone else has touched on.

In his review of the SubP in the June issue of Sound on Sound magazine, Gordon Reid points out that in his observation, the Master volume control is in series with the Headphone volume control. So of course the Master needs to be turned up to hear the headphones, and therefore the main output is audible too.

Since the Master volume sends controller data, I'm wondering if there's data being sent to an internal amplifier somewhere that affects the headphone output when clearly it shouldn't, or if the SubP is hardwired this way?

Can Amos or anyone else shed any light on this please?

till

Post by till » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:40 am

MuzzFuzz wrote:... In his review of the SubP in the June issue of Sound on Sound magazine, Gordon Reid points out that in his observation, the Master volume control is in series with the Headphone volume control. So of course the Master needs to be turned up to hear the headphones, and therefore the main output is audible too.

Since the Master volume sends controller data, I'm wondering if there's data being sent to an internal amplifier somewhere that affects the headphone output when clearly it shouldn't, or if the SubP is hardwired this way?

Can Amos or anyone else shed any light on this please?
I think is is very normal, that the headphone volume is always depending on the master volume. The master volume is the parameter to adjust the relative levels of patches (as the mixer levels are used for filter distortion often). And this should be like this when using the headphones too, other wise some patches will blow your phones off your head and others would be to quite.
And when do you use CC#7 to adjust the volume of a synth external via MIDI? In live situations only seldom. At least this is what I do and see most often. And in the studio you will use the monitors or the headphones feed by the mixer's monitor output and not the headphones output of a single synth. And then you would here a change in volume on a professional mixer board with a monitor mix also.
So I think the Sub Phatty is like most other synth I own that include MIDI CCs for their volume.

The headphones are mainly for listening to your synth when there is no other monitor available.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Hello,

Today wasn't a good day,

Still have a lot of stuck note issue, Subphatty not responding correctly with Ableton, and weird things happening coming from that fact ;
( Some note that were not sequenced were playing by the SubP (Idon't know if it's an Ableton problem or a Firmware / Editor problem.) ; Octave switch problem, lfo range selector problem etc... )
I used the SubP like 6 hours today, I had to do like 20 reboot smetimes it solve problems sometimes not..., each time i made some changes on my project and go back to the SubP after 10-15 minute to add a track there was some problem about stuck note or SubP not responding anymore, or this f**** ableton live ignoring the first note or making weird noise instead ( Not a SubP problem).
I have again some volume issue when turning on the SubPhatty too ( High volume peak ) and it wasn't the case after the firmware update that was made to solve this...
I still don't understand from what come all those issues,
I'm pretty sure it's a problem with Ableton for the most of the problems but the stuck note is happening in all mode (Standalone Editor, VST Editor & Standalone ).

I'm going to reflash the SubP tomorrow and start with a fresh new project until I have problem to try to understand from what all this come.