Sub Phatty beta firmware - final bug roundup

Everything Sub.
grailtone

Re: Sub Phatty beta firmware - final bug roundup

Post by grailtone » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:05 pm

So stoked that Legato Glide is functioning as it was with Local ON...I'll be messing around with sequencing in using those behaviors and see what happens. So far, this update has the fixes I need for what I've been working on!

I'll mess around and see if I can get anything to screw Osc 2 tunings up whilst sequencing...So far, so good!

Thanks, Amos!
-w

nofuturenocore

Post by nofuturenocore » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:51 am

Hello Amos,

Yesterday I make the last firmware update, after reading your answer on local mode which was very useful with Ableton :) ( No more annoying clicks )
I don't remember if it works (Don't watch correctly the LEDs) but all was working fine, automation, shift mode, local mode etc..

Now this morning, I turn on the Sub phatty and see that all that I set yesterday ( Filter envelope reset, master volume for preset etc ) wasn't save :(
So I try to go in shift mode but it doesn't work anymore and when I try to make the firmware update again ( was thinking that maybe it was coming from this ) the Midi LED is blinking faster than the LFO Rate LED, seems to don't work anymore.
I do it again 7-8 time step by step with HUB and direct USB port instead of HUB using different USB cables (all the cables are working ), all is set up correctly (Turbo set to x1,No turbo during sending, midi out to moog sub phatty ) and it refuse to work... :x I tried to go back to 1.2.2 version but it didn't work too..

I find this very very weird because yesterday evening all was working like a charm and now shift mode is not working anymore ( I can access to it but any change don't do anything ) and weird thing happen when I'm trying to play with the keyboard ( maybe coming from the fact that local mode is on because it didn't save anything.)

Hope there is a solution for this, Thanks.

Edit: To people reading this... I'm a ###### , Sub Phatty is Da BOMB. User's problem solved.
Last edited by nofuturenocore on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:55 am

NoFuture, I am sorry for your trouble!

you are using Mac, yes? Try Sysex Librarian instead of C6, for sending the sysex...
http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

definitely DO NOT use the hub when doing firmware update. It cannot help the process, and it could cause problems.
Try firmware v1.2.3 again... using SysEx Librarian software to send it... maybe it will work.
if not, send me email (amos at moog music dotcom) and we can solve the problem outside this forum thread.

Good luck!

Amos

(final Editor beta-version coming in the next day or so... close to final firmware, I think... thanks everyone for your patience)

OgamiZ

Post by OgamiZ » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:59 am

Amos

(final Editor beta-version coming in the next day or so... close to final firmware, I think... thanks everyone for your patience)[/quote]

Really looking forward to the release of the editor :D
Image ImageImage

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:50 pm

ul303 wrote: FYI I have switched back to din midi as I have experienced problems (glitches) using the usb midi. The glitches in sound happened mostly when using the mod wheel. I am still in V1.2.3. Not sure if it is related to the SP as it is my only device that supports midi over usb.
ul303 wrote:Hi Amos,

Sub Phatty connected via both din and usb midi. Local Off.
In live 9 I have an external instrument track assigned to the SP.
Using the piano roll and the mouse I create a basic 1 bar sequence (so that it does not depend from which device I am playing the sequence from)
In live if I choose the midi output of the external instrument being the din output: I have no issue playing back while moving the mod wheel or any knob.
If I switch to usb I encounter the problem even when I turn the cutoff mode for instance.
In live I have set the sames midi options for din & usb ports.
ul303 wrote:No I have the same issue with only USB midi connected.
I connected Din midi to to check that the issue was coming with usb and not din during the same session.
Btw it could be due to an issue with my PC?
ul303 wrote:Just noticed another issue.
SP is connected via din midi only. local off. v1.2.4
If I play the sequence assigned to the SP trakc and use the SP keyboard to play another track in live with a VSTI (record button set to this vsti track) it causes the sequence to hold the notes of the sequence (like playing legato) instead of playing the sequence normaly!
This does not happen if I play the vsti track with my midi keyboard (whatever the midi input selected for this vsti track).
I've just tried to replicate all those reported issues and couldn't. Every worked perfectly.

I separately tried both DIN and USB MIDI, with no glitches or note length problems under any of the scenarios above in Ableton Live 9.0.4 x64, Windows 8 x64, RME Babyface.
Last edited by barryfell on Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Firmware 1.2.4: I've got an issue with channel pressure MIDI data being recorded in Live whenever I use any other MIDI controller (i've tried several). I don't get the problem when playing Minitaur, so I don't think it's a problem with my MIDI set up.

Here's an example from a Live clip. It makes all my MIDI controllers unplayable with the SP, as it makes everything of low/medium pressure sound like a double note.

I've tried both DIN and USB midi, and local control is off. (Also tried reflashing the firmware just in case)

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:32 pm

barryfell wrote:Firmware 1.2.4: I've got an issue with channel pressure MIDI data being recorded in Live whenever I use any other MIDI controller (i've tried several).
what other midi controllers are you using?
Have you used the same setup with previous firmware and not had this happen?

Maybe you're just not used to the Sub Phatty filter responding to channel pressure... there is a global parameter which controls this. You can turn it off. or you can have pressure sweep the filter up to ten octaves, which will definitely affect the sound.
This should probably be a per-preset parameter... the feature set is frozen for now, though, as we are trying to release.

it's easy to adjust the pressure scale in the editor, but you can edit it from the hardware as well... check this infographic, in the lower half (global functions):
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... v1_1_4.pdf

Also, here's a small update, which fixes the Relative knob mode issue in v1.2.4:
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... _1_2_5.syx

barryfell

Post by barryfell » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:53 am

Amos wrote:
barryfell wrote:Firmware 1.2.4: I've got an issue with channel pressure MIDI data being recorded in Live whenever I use any other MIDI controller (i've tried several).
what other midi controllers are you using?

Have you used the same setup with previous firmware and not had this happen?

Maybe you're just not used to the Sub Phatty filter responding to channel pressure... there is a global parameter which controls this. You can turn it off. or you can have pressure sweep the filter up to ten octaves, which will definitely affect the sound.
This should probably be a per-preset parameter... the feature set is frozen for now, though, as we are trying to release.

it's easy to adjust the pressure scale in the editor, but you can edit it from the hardware as well... check this infographic, in the lower half (global functions):
http://www.moogconnect.net/downloads/su ... v1_1_4.pdf
I tried it on Ableton Push, NI Maschine and a Novation Remote 25SL. Same issue with them all, although Push was the most significant, as it must be set more sensitive to aftertouch.

Changing the aftertouch scale on the SP fixed the problem. :) However, I find I need to then set it per patch to get it correct and not get big jumps. The default of 10 octaves seems too high. Would 5 maybe be better?

I'll just turn it off and remember to turn it on and set to suit as and when I want it. Happy to see that it retains the setting after a power cycle.

Thanks

Howard Scarr

Post by Howard Scarr » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:23 am

While we're talking about aftertouch, I think Subby needs better smoothing (is there any?)

grailtone

Post by grailtone » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Don't know if this is normal...

I have an instance of Massive running, being controlled by the Sub Phatty via USB MIDI. The Track is armed to record.

I have a track of MIDI playing the Sub Phatty in the background. Track is not armed, Sub Phatty is just sending audio to an input.

I go to record MIDI for the Massive track, and it works fine, until I hold a note longer than one of the midi notes on the Sub Phatty MIDI track, the Sub Phatty holds the last note of it's recorded phrase until I release the note I was tracking in Massive.

Everything runs fine on playback, just while I'm recording. It's like it things I've held a note on both MIDI tracks, even though the Phatty track isn't armed.

I can work around that, but, kinda bizarre. Don't know of the physical keyboard is actually sending some note information even though Local is OFF.

-w

breun

Post by breun » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:30 pm

grailtone wrote:Don't know of the physical keyboard is actually sending some note information even though Local is OFF.
From the Sub Phatty manual, page 34: "With Local Control turned off, any keys you press or control settings you change send data directly to the instrument’s MIDI Out or USB, without affecting the Sub Phatty."

Amos

Post by Amos » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:15 pm

^^ the manual describes what is supposed to happen... but this sounds like a possible bug. I'll check it out; thanks!

ul303

Post by ul303 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:58 am

grailtone wrote:Don't know of the physical keyboard is actually sending some note information even though Local is OFF.

-w
Very similar issue to the one I described before when using the Sub Phatty keyboard in local off on a vsti track when ableton is sending a midi sequence to the Sub Phatty.

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:02 pm

ul303 wrote:

-w
Very similar issue to the one I described before when using the Sub Phatty keyboard in local off on a vsti track when ableton is sending a midi sequence to the Sub Phatty.
just fixed this! It was a real bug, and now it's gone. :)

now on to the pernicious and very occasional "filter control just stops working" bug.

grailtone

Post by grailtone » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Just started working with it again...and the Filter Cutoff is dead...Local ON, and OFF...

Bizarre, glad you've had that come up!

...might be my favorite knob :)

I got it to come back by unplugging USB after exiting Ableton, and rebooting. All good on Local ON.